Paul Reviews... the Orange SPV M3100

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi. another newcomer to this discussion. I came across this thread by doing a google search as I am having problems getting my otherwise superb M3100 to be recognised by the in car bluetooth in my new Audi. The Audi dealer tells me I may need a Firmware update.

Is there one available? Otherwise has anyone got any ideas how to get round the problem as I have paid over a grand for the bluetooth option in the car and I don't want to change the SPV.

Thanks

Edited by sidee

Guest stripeycat

In hindsight, after having decided to sell my 3100, it seems i must plump for the candybar form factor after all...

not to take anything away from the 3100, it really is a fantastic little (well, medium-sized) PPC. Just the keyboard which wasn't quite working out after all, as i still find i want the one-handed usage that i get from my old Hurricane handset.

Also, with keeping my phones in my jeans pocket, i began wondering if the slide joint on the 3100 would one day decide it'd had enough of being carted around in such a manner, and give up the ghost...

Perhaps not, but i'll send it on its way to a better life than i can offer it! :)

Hurry up Nokia!! Where's that N95?

Guest schriss

Three questions:

1. Is that true that battery level shows only 90%, 80%, 70% etc, so it will never show for example 83%?

2. Is it possible to have a today screen like in Smartphone with a "SMS Messages: 1" right there on Today? And when I tap it I land directly in SMS inbox, NOT in email account inbox?

3. Any way to bring Edge icon back? I've heard that registry tweak doesn't work.

Edited by schriss

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Griff_FFOC

Strange question this one. With the buttons and scroll wheel on the sides, I presume this is setup with a rght handed person in mind. (i.e. scroll with the left thumb) Are there any left handers out there can comment on what it's like to use?

Guest schriss
Strange question this one. With the buttons and scroll wheel on the sides, I presume this is setup with a rght handed person in mind. (i.e. scroll with the left thumb) Are there any left handers out there can comment on what it's like to use?

Actually I as right-handed would prefer the scroll wheel on the right side, so I could hold it in right hand and operate with one hand.

Device has unusual amount of OK buttons :) I think there are in total 3 of them. And one to open Start Menu. And the left OK also opens Start Menu wneh you are on Today screen - very clever. You can learn to use the buttons to operate it without stylus which is great!

I can confirm that:

- EDGE icon can not be enabled. You get either G or U.

- Battery level does increment in 10% steps.

- Battery lasts pretty long.

Hi. another newcomer to this discussion. I came across this thread by doing a google search as I am having problems getting my otherwise superb M3100 to be recognised by the in car bluetooth in my new Audi. The Audi dealer tells me I may need a Firmware update.

Is there one available? Otherwise has anyone got any ideas how to get round the problem as I have paid over a grand for the bluetooth option in the car and I don't want to change the SPV.

Thanks

Thanks

Hi, I am new to this as well, I already have an Audi which worked fine with my SPV C550, I upgraded to a M3100 yesterday and find that a connection is made & lost about every 2/3 minutes and in the middle of calls!

I wondered if you had found a solution?

Thanks

Dave

I was suprised when I put the m3100 and the JAMin (Prophet) side by side. It's only a little thicker and still sits happily in a pocket.

Surely the first thing all Modaco members do is to remove the orange plug in and homescreen?

Hi,

I just starting with Spv M3100 and really do not like :D homescreen and orange at all in my device.

Could you tell me when you find some time how to remove orange from my pocket pc?

I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Ozonek. :)

Guest Griff_FFOC

I got one of these a few days ago, and as a lefty, am in two minds whether to keep it, or go back to my C600.

Holding the device in my right hand makes the wheel, and the buttons around the wheel, fairly useless (i.e. can't reach them properly).

So navigating menus has to be done by the up down on the bottom.

The stylus is also then hidden under my hand if i want to remove it/put it away.

Also when using the stylus with programs that have a scroll bar, my hand covers the screen and I can't see it. Why didn't they make options to have the scroll bar on any side.

It's also little things that sway me away from it, such as, I can't mute the phone without using the stylus or trying to hit the icon on the screen with my finger. A shortcut key or volume buttons would be good.

I couldn't get wireless to work on WPA-PSK, it would see my router and know it was WPA, but wouldn't connect on DHCP or static IP, so I had to change my router to use WEP.

One advantage is it syncs fine with Outlook 2007, where my C600 doesn't.

I'll use the M3100 for a few more days and see what I think. See if I can get choosing a contact to be quicker when not using the stylus or keyboard.

Edited by Griff_FFOC

Guest mwright
Hi,

I just starting with Spv M3100 and really do not like :D homescreen and orange at all in my device.

Could you tell me when you find some time how to remove orange from my pocket pc?

I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Ozonek. :)

Try going to Start->Settings->Today->Items

and turn off the "Orange" item - then you can select what you really want on the homescreen

:)-->

QUOTE(Dave B @ Jan 11 2007, 09:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I am new to this as well, I already have an Audi which worked fine with my SPV C550, I upgraded to a M3100 yesterday and find that a connection is made & lost about every 2/3 minutes and in the middle of calls!

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

Unfortunately no replies. I did manage to find another thread through a google seach that enabled me to change the SIM to a SAP (very complicated) but I have still not been able to get it to stay connected to the cars blue tooth. My search continues and if I get to the bottom of it I will let you know.

Simon

QUOTE(Dave B @ Jan 11 2007, 09:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<!--quotec-->

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

Unfortunately no replies. I did manage to find another thread through a google seach that enabled me to change the SIM to a SAP (very complicated) but I have still not been able to get it to stay connected to the cars blue tooth. My search continues and if I get to the bottom of it I will let you know.

Simon

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply, I may have some good news for you, I have been researching the subject myself and found this forum "http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-274994.html", about half way down you will find reference to "Mortsaver" software, which can be found at "http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14321", I installed this yesterday morning and after some initial tinkering with the settings, it seems to be working fine on my journey to and from work which is about an hour each way, so about 3 hours of testing and no problems. I hope you find this of some use.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE(Dave B @ Jan 16 2007, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply, I may have some good news for you, I have been researching the subject myself and found this forum "http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-274994.html", about half way down you will find reference to "Mortsaver" software, which can be found at "http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14321", I installed this yesterday morning and after some initial tinkering with the settings, it seems to be working fine on my journey to and from work which is about an hour each way, so about 3 hours of testing and no problems. I hope you find this of some use.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the tip - I have done as you said but on a brief test it didn't work but I haven't had time to 'tinker with the settings' yet - are you running yours from a power source or off the battery?. Mabe I am being thick but Mortsaver just switches the screen off just like before but it tells you it is going to do it first. Any extra tips on the settings would be appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Guest digidales

Couple of questions

Firstly though, I got my SPVM3100 free from Orange with an Orange World max package for £35 a month- unlimited text, data and 900 mins of calls each month plus some international bundle or other. Plus free insurance, free bluetooth headset, car charger etc. Told them I was going to T-Mobile otherwise with a Vario. Only thing I ain't got out of them yet is a 1Gb storage card but I'm working on that!

Coupla issues:

1) I can't find any sort of screenguard. Unless you wait until the phone has gone into lock mode the thing turns on, and quite often connects itself to WAP, just putting it in the case. The Vario has a cute device lock, have I missed summat?

2) Does anyone know how I can connect my FlexiFX100 keypad to this propietary connector on the bottom? Anyone sell anything for it?

3) Am about to purchase Tengo Thumbpad as the ability to text is seriously limited, anyone tried it on a M3100? The normal Tengo keypad only works in certain apps I've noticed.

4) Anyone else having problems with it making calls when you are trying to edit contacts etc? Have made a lot of unwanted calls so far, driving people in my contacts list spare!

5) Getting headaches with this mobile that I have never had before. Does it ahve substantially higher radiation output or summat?

Not sending it back though, no way! If Ipaq had put a GSM module in years ago, they'd have won this market I reckon, instead of losing their IPaq customers, like me!

Cheers

Guest thecresta
Have there been any firmware updates to this phone from Orange?

There are some updated ROMs for this device, but not from Orange so you will need to 'unlock' your phone to use them. Personally, I wouldn't flash anything just yet as the new AKU 3.3 ROM will be here soon, and I'm fairly confident Orange will supply an update.

Is there a 'flash' for the camera, or is it just a constant light you have to manually turn on and off?

Just a bright light you can switch on and off, although it does get brighter as you take the photo (like a true flash). Don't get your hopes up about it though, I took a photo of someone last night from 2 foot away in a badly-lit pub and it's come out pitch black, even with the 'flash'!

BTW, Paul - Many thanks for advising me to get this phone - it's an amazing bit of kit!

• 2 weeks later...
My prophet was always pretty reliable on wifi, but the 3100 hasn't missed a beat yet. If orange's 3g wasn't so fast I would use it even more!

I have the SFR v1605, which is close to the Vodaphone version of TyTN but for the French SFR network. I am supposed to have the last available ROM but WiFi si a real pain on this device. I cannot get the signal from my living room from which all other tools (including my Hx4700) can easily connect (and with a very strong signal) to the Access Point that lives at the other end of the same floor. The phone signal also always looks very low on my device (mainly 2 or 3 bars, instead of 5 on other phones from the same network on the same spot).

Do you observe such problems on this device? Do you have an idea abour a possible solution (I have set the power management cursor on maximal efficiency, instead of maximal battery)?

EDIT: I have downloaded the last version of WiFiFoFum and it allows me now to detect my Home AP and to connect on it (using the standard Connection function of the WM5). I must try it for a public AP to check if this is a general solution. But the low signal for UMTS continues (in comparison with other phones for the same location and the same network - SFR), so I am not totally assured on this point...

Thank you for your help and for this magnificent community!

Best regards,

Murat

Edited by yildi

• 1 month later...
Guest sameerabedi

Windows Media on my phone won't recognise songs on my microSD card. When I update the library it only finds songs on the phone. When I click the library option it only provide 'My Device' as a option.

To play the songs on my memory card, I have to tediously go to File Explorer and then select the songs individually one at a time!

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Guest Ged_UK
Windows Media on my phone won't recognise songs on my microSD card. When I update the library it only finds songs on the phone. When I click the library option it only provide 'My Device' as a option.

To play the songs on my memory card, I have to tediously go to File Explorer and then select the songs individually one at a time!

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Mine does that too! It started off fine, and then suddenly just stopped recognising the card. I just downloaded Mortplayer (free mp3 player) and used that instead

Guest sameerabedi
Mine does that too! It started off fine, and then suddenly just stopped recognising the card. I just downloaded Mortplayer (free mp3 player) and used that instead

Where can I get Mortplayer from?

Guest Ged_UK

If you google 'mortplayer' you'll find it. there's several place yuo acn get it from. I found the link in the Free Software post on here i think.

Fair warning though, it doesn't play WMAs though, only MP3s

Guest Gurzeh
Actually I as right-handed would prefer the scroll wheel on the right side, so I could hold it in right hand and operate with one hand.

Device has unusual amount of OK buttons ;) I think there are in total 3 of them. And one to open Start Menu. And the left OK also opens Start Menu wneh you are on Today screen - very clever. You can learn to use the buttons to operate it without stylus which is great!

I can confirm that:

- EDGE icon can not be enabled. You get either G or U.

- Battery level does increment in 10% steps.

- Battery lasts pretty long.

Scanned all of the forum:

I have an Orage M3100 and tried (unsuccessfully) the registry tweak:

EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon = 1

You sure you can't have G, E or 3G icons?

Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.