Paul Reviews... the Orange SPV M3100

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest richard_d
Can anyone please tell me out of the 3100 manual, how much is the official SAR (Standard Absorption Rate) of this SPV mobile?

Thanks in advance!

Christos

The Vario II is 0.572 W/Kg@10g (CE) sp presumably the 3100 will be identical

Richard

Guest Paulplex

Hi all,

Whats the term - long time lurker, first time poster - still, I'm now waiting on Orange to have them in stock so I can upgrade my C550 to something sexier :D

One question though - my boss has the previous model (with the miniSD card slot on the top) which is one feature I liked: being slow via USB, I used to take the miniSD out of my old C550, connecting it to my computer with a card reader rather than via ActiveSync with the card within my phone.

How does the microSD card connect to the M3100? Is this via an external card slot - meaning you can hotswap it whilest the phone is running - or is it connected internally, behind the battery compartment like my old C550?

I'm hoping its something that is hotswapable - an annoyance if it isn't, although I guess this device connects at nice, USB 2 speeds?

Great forum by the way - don't know why I've lurked so long...

USB 1.1 speeds i wish it connected at usb 2.0 speeds. means i actually have to take the card out if i want to transfer a lot of mp3s or stuff across as activesync is just tooo slow

JEREMY

I've got a few questions about this phone that i'd really need answered before I try to work out an affordable way of getting one!

I currently have an SPV C600 on Orange, and use it as my mp3 player. I use a stereo bluetooth headset, but i had to purchase a little program (Bluecast) in order to get the sound through the headphones. Often this doesn't shut down properly, leaving the phone not producing any sound so i have to turn off and on again.

Does the M3100 properly allow me to use Bluetooth headset without this program?

If not, is there an adaptor to let me plug in normal headphones into their (pointless) USB socket (I have weird ears and in-ear headphones always fall out!)

The M3100 comes with Excel and Word I believe, is that right?

Anyone experimented with Tasks functionality? My C600 doesn't handle tasks brilliantly (can't set due dates, alarm times and sometimes doesn't acurately synchronise completion back to the PC).

This is a general question, and please excuse my Mobile naivity, but if i buy one off eBay or wherever (and get it unlocked if necessary), can I just take my current SIM card and put it in the new phone?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work on the site!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aotror
USB 1.1 speeds i wish it connected at usb 2.0 speeds. means i actually have to take the card out if i want to transfer a lot of mp3s or stuff across as activesync is just tooo slow

JEREMY

Hello everyone .. first post as you can see.

I have just ordered a vario II on flext 35 with web'n'walk unlimited (we shall see) MB download limit. I also managed to wrangle the business users (im not one) deal where you get better support and 24 hour free courier turnaround for a replacement should it fail in the first year. The deal cost 42 pounds a month (18 month contract) and gives me 180 quid of t mobiles services. It's meant to arrive tomorrow so I cant report on it as yet report what I think of it but from what Ive heard about the spv 3100 Im hoping its good.

I would have preferred to go the orange/ spv 3100 route but for what I'm getting from t mobile it would cost significantly more, which leads me to my questions.

Why does is it cheaper? is t mobiles service rubbish or do they have some hidden charges that I will stumble across after its too late?

Why are you lot so seemingly keener for orange and the spv3100 over the identical offerings from other providers? is it just because it looks better?

How much different is the software setup on the 3100 over the vario II and what is the pro's and cons of each?

this being my first pda phone and first non flip phone I was wondering how delicate the screen was when it gets chucked in my pocket or bag with my keys and coins etc.. Do i have to take extra care in this respect?

I was only given one choice (even thought they claim there is more) of colour with the vario II, an undesirable grey and burnt red combo. I see on ebay that they have t mobile branded vario II's that are the same colour and variant (is it herm 100?) as the orange spv 3100 (same buttons etc). How come they have not been mentioned in the shops or here? where did they originate from does anyone know?

If i want to run a tom tom on this beast what do i need? (and how much will it cost?) obviously tom tom software, but do I need an external transponder or does it have one built in? (I suspect i need an external one but ask because I have seen these units advertised on ebay with gps being a feature so not sure)

I have two weeks to assess this phone and Im not going to hesitate to return it if it doesnt live up to what Ive heard.

Jeremymacmull.. whats your impressions of your varioII and the tmobile deal. It seems you have gone the same way as me.

Ok.. sorry for so many questions.. Appreciate any answers..

George

Guest Ged_UK

I've gone for the t-mobile Vario 2 combination, and I have to say so far (about 4 days!) it's excellent.

So far I've found T-mobile's customer service to be excellent (fast response and far far shorter queuing time than Orange).

The only other question i can answer is about the screen and caring for it. Yes screen are senstive, but I got a very nice case with the phone from T-mobile that should offer ample protection for normal use (as well as a screen guard which does the job)

Guest davidg1230
I've gone for the t-mobile Vario 2 combination, and I have to say so far (about 4 days!) it's excellent.

So far I've found T-mobile's customer service to be excellent (fast response and far far shorter queuing time than Orange).

The only other question i can answer is about the screen and caring for it. Yes screen are senstive, but I got a very nice case with the phone from T-mobile that should offer ample protection for normal use (as well as a screen guard which does the job)

Where did you get your screen guard from? I've looked at some of the independant dealers for a clear LCD screen protector but no one has one? I know there are some on EBAY, but

Guest sameerabedi

Finally received my brand new SPV M3100 on upgrade yesterday and been using it non-stop ever since!

After cahnging from a C600, it's a big big difference to say the least!

Had a couple of question which I was hoping you guys could help me with!

1) First page on Settings and on the top left there is a icon called "buttons". What are the buttons that actually open the programs showed when that icon is selected?

2)I cannot access Orange websites because apparently "only Orange phone users can access," what setting adjustments do I need to make and how?

3)Any ideas where to get some good themes for the phone?

That's it for now, thanks in advance for your help!

Guest removed-2

Ok, I have a C600 at the minute (and love it) and am thinking of changing to the 3100, however before I take the plunge can anyone answer the following questions:-

1. Can this phone by Application Unlocked allowing unsigned applications to be installed?

2. Can this phone by Network Unlocked allowing SIM cards from other networks to be used?

3. I purchased a Brodit Bracket for my C600 for using the car. Is there one available for the 3100 and if so where can I get this as the place I purchased the C600 was doesn't have one.

4. I dont like phone cases but like to look after the screen so have always purchased a screen protector from JAVOEdge. The dont't appear to have one for the 3100, do you know if there is another one that will fit that they produce? Or if there is one that is bigger that I can cut down...

Please help answers these questions as I am very keen to get one - other than Orange don't seem to have any at the moment and they don't know when they will.

Thanks

Mark

Ok, I have a C600 at the minute (and love it) and am thinking of changing to the 3100, however before I take the plunge can anyone answer the following questions:-

1. Can this phone by Application Unlocked allowing unsigned applications to be installed?

2. Can this phone by Network Unlocked allowing SIM cards from other networks to be used?

3. I purchased a Brodit Bracket for my C600 for using the car. Is there one available for the 3100 and if so where can I get this as the place I purchased the C600 was doesn't have one.

4. I dont like phone cases but like to look after the screen so have always purchased a screen protector from JAVOEdge. The dont't appear to have one for the 3100, do you know if there is another one that will fit that they produce? Or if there is one that is bigger that I can cut down...

Please help answers these questions as I am very keen to get one - other than Orange don't seem to have any at the moment and they don't know when they will.

Thanks

Mark

I have the tmobile Vario 2, which is the same phone (as far as I'm aware) bar some minor network software things.

1. I've installed unsigned software, so this shouldn't be a problem

2. I believe so, but I'm not totally sure

3. No idea, but perhpas look for Vario 2 rather than M3100?

4. JAVOEdge do a protector for Vario 2 (http://www.javoedge.com/reflexeshop/productCatalog/getProduct.do?poid=995&pbmId=5520 ) and I got one with the phone from T-Mobile. Don't know if Orange do the same

Guest richard_d

Thanks

Mark

1. Yes - but installing via activesynce will fail (the cab file copies across, but the install fails - just find the cab file on the device, click and ignore the unsigned warning!).

2. Yes people have succesfully unlocked it.

3. Yes - see Brodit post in Hermes section.

4. Yes, but try Martin Fields

Richard

Guest willieturnip

haha, paul, you just had to show off the old modaco c600 eh? ahwell, you have all the rights in the world to be...

i really want one of those :rolleyes:

Guest removed-2
1. Yes - but installing via activesynce will fail (the cab file copies across, but the install fails - just find the cab file on the device, click and ignore the unsigned warning!).

2. Yes people have succesfully unlocked it.

3. Yes - see Brodit post in Hermes section.

4. Yes, but try Martin Fields

Richard

Can someone point me in the direction of the CAB file to perform the app unlock.

Also, does the old SIM Unlock by SPVServices work for this phone. For example, can I use the one I used on my C600 or do I need a new version etc...

Thanks

Mark

Guest simonclark123

M3100/Vario 2 (v1605 is not locked) is easily unlocked via www.imeicheck.co.uk - 10% discount for Modaco Plus members. The unlock is specific to the imei of the phone you are unlocking.

I would also highly recommend Martin Fields screen protectors.

Regards

Simon Clark

Business Telecoms

Guest jimbouk
Can someone point me in the direction of the CAB file to perform the app unlock.

Email Orange ( i think it is [email protected]) once you have the device and they will email you a security app that will allow you to control the application lock (ie turn it on or off when you want).

Guest jimbouk
Finally received my brand new SPV M3100 on upgrade yesterday and been using it non-stop ever since!

After cahnging from a C600, it's a big big difference to say the least!

Had a couple of question which I was hoping you guys could help me with!

1) First page on Settings and on the top left there is a icon called "buttons". What are the buttons that actually open the programs showed when that icon is selected?

2)I cannot access Orange websites because apparently "only Orange phone users can access," what setting adjustments do I need to make and how?

3)Any ideas where to get some good themes for the phone?

That's it for now, thanks in advance for your help!

The buttons referred to are the hardware buttons around the device, eg mail, web, camera, voice record etc.

You ca only access Orange World pages via an Orange GPRS/3G connection. If you are using wifi or passthrough, you cannot access them.

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but from what I have read it seems like a very informative place.

I have just ordered 100 SPV 3100 for our company - the engineers are very much looking forward to this upgrade from their current 6310i !!

A question for this forum... Has anyone tried to get this phone to work with an SAP (SIM Access Profile) bluetooth handsfree kit. The examples of the kit I have to accommodate are VW Passats, Audi A4 and the new mercedes MHI Bluetooth adaptor. The BMW and Lexus systems use the Hnadsfree profile which I'm sure will be fine. But SAP is always a bit funny.

From other forums I have picked up that I might have to change the registry so that the phone transmits as a Phone rather than a PDA. Also that HTC are working on a ROM update for a known 'SAP' problem.

I will feedback here when we get the phones with the results I get.

Thank you

Guest eaglesrest
A question for this forum... Has anyone tried to get this phone to work with an SAP (SIM Access Profile) bluetooth handsfree kit. The examples of the kit I have to accommodate are VW Passats, Audi A4 and the new mercedes MHI Bluetooth adaptor. The BMW and Lexus systems use the Hnadsfree profile which I'm sure will be fine. But SAP is always a bit funny.

I'm not sure if I fully understand the question but if your asking if it will work with the BMW BT then probably not. I have this phone with a 2004 X5 and out of the box it pairs, but the phonebook doesn't transfer and SMS don't work. The BT profiling is handled by WM5 and the issue lies with AKU2.

However, it's not all bad news. www.jetwaremobile.com have an application that when installed (latest beta version) supports my BMW fully i.e. PB transfer, SMS and call handling. Apparently the Voice Dialling works as well but I haven't got that on my BT.

Guest minty1978
I'm not sure if I fully understand the question but if your asking if it will work with the BMW BT then probably not. I have this phone with a 2004 X5 and out of the box it pairs, but the phonebook doesn't transfer and SMS don't work. The BT profiling is handled by WM5 and the issue lies with AKU2.

However, it's not all bad news. www.jetwaremobile.com have an application that when installed (latest beta version) supports my BMW fully i.e. PB transfer, SMS and call handling. Apparently the Voice Dialling works as well but I haven't got that on my BT.

hi guys,

We tried the TyTN in my bosses 2006 E60 (5 Series). It paired fully, and copied over contacts. Calls made and recieved were clear!

The other option to early BMW bluetooth users is to have your ULF module upgraded to the latest version..however you will have to pay for it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.