Paul's must have FREE Hermes software

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Matt Kirby
I'm not sure about this UPX thing... What the hell is going on? It's not very well documented (IMO).

Is this a piece of software that runs in the background that decompresses the compressed files? Or is it just a bit of compression software for PPC that will create UPX'ed exe/dll's that will run regardless of whether or not you have it installed?

If I install it, do I have to add pre-UPX'ed stuff (eg the aforementioned QMark CAB) into its configuration somewhere?

I'm surprised no-one has been confused by this or mentioned this before... :D

As far as I understand it UPX performs compressions exe and dll files, without the need to decompress them for use, so you don't need UPX installed on your device.

I think it compresses files by removing redundant blank space in the file (which was present in the original code to aid readability and de-buging). A machine can still read and use the compresed file, but if it was then to be reverse-engineered it would be less readable in code form.

Basically if there is a UPX'd version of a program use it, as it will take up less space on your device.

Guest Paul (MVP)

UPX compresses an executable much in the way that ZIP or whatever does (although using an optimised algorithm for executables), and it places it's decompressor on the front of the file.

In this way, the files can be executed as normal, without an 'unpacker' needing to be installed.

UPX'd files do seem to take more memory when running, but less memory when stored (and there are no visible performance differences).

The UPX app for PPC is simply a compressor that can be used on the device itself.

P

Guest dreamweavel

Pocket Ping available HERE is really useful for getting wifi networking probs sorted - and working out whether lack of response when web browsing etc is a site or network problem.

TCPMP vid player is a must-have too - but only works in raw frame buffer mode at the moment on the Hermes for some weird reason, otherwise the screen reeeeaaally screws up. The download site seems to be down at the mo, but the main page on the coreplayer site HERE says there's an imminent new release that hopefully will sort the vid issues

The CorePlayer Mobile Technology Demo

Shhh.... want to know a secret? We are now sending private invitations to register and receive our upcoming CorePlayer Mobile Technology Demo well before we go public with CorePlayer 1.0!

If you haven't heard about CorePlayer well get ready, as we unleash power in 1.xx for: CE, Windows Mobile, Pocket PC, Palm, Symbian, Windows, Vista, UMPC, OS X, and Linux. While this is a 'limited' Technology Demo, when released CorePlayer 1.xx will support:

- Advanced Skins

- Streaming (http/udp/mms/rtp/rtsp)

- Visualizations 2D and 3D

- Video: H.264, DivX, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, OGM, 3GP

- Audio: AAC, MP3, WMA, MID, AC-3, MKA, OGG, FLAC, AMR, WAV

- CorePlayer PMP Mobile

- 'Seek and Share' Social Network Sharing Technology

- CoreTunes Desktop Media Library

- CorePlayerX Web Browser Plug-in

- CoreSync Mobile, Server. Desktop Media Synchronization

- CoreTheque Media Library Database

Learn more on September 10th, 2006 by visiting:

http://www.CorePlayer.com

To see how easy it can be to make the switch and 'Take back your media!'

The CoreCodec Team

can't wait :D

Guest Sonicr360
Pocket Ping available HERE is really useful for getting wifi networking probs sorted - and working out whether lack of response when web browsing etc is a site or network problem.

TCPMP vid player is a must-have too - but only works in raw frame buffer mode at the moment on the Hermes for some weird reason, otherwise the screen reeeeaaally screws up. The download site seems to be down at the mo, but the main page on the coreplayer site HERE says there's an imminent new release that hopefully will sort the vid issues

I think I can!!! Sounds like alot of sales talk to me :D

I'm with Dreamweavel, if Coreplayer is as good as TCPMP then count me in. Given the problem with the video codec at the moment I think I will wait until the 10th.

I can't see how they could offer it free as there are licensing fees to pay for aac and for h264

but here's hoping anyway

I've got some family guy episodes that should play well on the hermes as they are okay on the wizard but don't due to frame buffer thingy having to be used they only run at 70%

anyway my two bits over

Jeremy

Not really... for what purpose?

I find the power button does everything I need :D

P

Um, well for locking the device when playing music etc?

If you're on the street it's nice to have a lock mech that doesn't require two hands (ie holding device with one and pressing screen with the other).

What does the power button do that I don't know about? Apart from turn it off, which you didn't know til I told you! :D :D

Guest ctmagnus
If you're on the street it's nice to have a lock mech that doesn't require two hands (ie holding device with one and pressing screen with the other).

What, you don't have thumbs? :D

I just hit the Start button, then the d-pad, then the Device unlocked Today item. Ta da, device is locked.

What, you don't have thumbs? :D

I just hit the Start button, then the d-pad, then the Device unlocked Today item. Ta da, device is locked.

Not quite as quick as 'hold one button' though is it? Plus you have to look at the screen. Which you can't do if you're putting it in your pocket, eh?

Also, if you saw the state of my Magician, you'd understand. I've dropped it a lot from trying to be clever with it, so this is a Good Thing, as far as I'm concerned!

So there! :D

Guest Sadlybrokeboy

Paul,

Excellent thread! :D

Just one question/suggestion? Is it worth having a pinnd thread to point to or club today today screens & skins too?

Keep up the excellent work! :D

Matt

Guest hennapod

Is there a decent album program available? The "Pictures & Videos" program on the M3100 is rubbish compared to IA Album on the M2000. Maybe it's a bit too much to ask for a free one...

Guest Honest John

Just installed Batti. Great piece of software but one major problem. It overwrites my left hand soft key with the heading "Notification". Tap that and you get the status of your battery.

But I don't want that permanently grabbing my left hand soft key. I have much better use for that.

And "Notification" as a heading make me think I have a message. Granted, the soft key reverts to its other uses in specific applications, but not on the home screen.

Have others go the same problem. I am using the current version of Batti [at least, I downloaded it from the sticky thread header today]

Having received my shiney new Vario II today, I've just tried to install Powertoys on to it, but after running the .msi file, and the add/remove software window popping up, powertoys doesn't seem to appear :-(

Do they work on the Vario II, or am I being stupid ?

Adge

Guest Paul (MVP)
Just installed Batti. Great piece of software but one major problem. It overwrites my left hand soft key with the heading "Notification". Tap that and you get the status of your battery.

But I don't want that permanently grabbing my left hand soft key. I have much better use for that.

And "Notification" as a heading make me think I have a message. Granted, the soft key reverts to its other uses in specific applications, but not on the home screen.

Have others go the same problem. I am using the current version of Batti [at least, I downloaded it from the sticky thread header today]

I don't have that problem?

:D

P

Having received my shiney new Vario II today, I've just tried to install Powertoys on to it, but after running the .msi file, and the add/remove software window popping up, powertoys doesn't seem to appear :-(

Do they work on the Vario II, or am I being stupid ?

Adge

I had the same problem when installing to my M3100 - the installation appeared to finish ok, but there was no sign of the program shortcuts.

IIRC, the MSI copies the CAB file onto the phone - maybe into "My Documents", so I ended up running the CAB file manually - then I did a soft reset just for good measure :D After that, the shortcut to the PowerToys appeared - and very useful they are too!!!

HTH, Mark.

M@rkC - what power toys? The ones from the MS website?

Matt

I was referring to the "PHM Powertoys" mentioned on page 1 of this topic (PHM Power Toys - dead useful if just for the soft reset command and traylaunch - http://www.phm.lu/products/PocketPC/PowerToys/) - the same ones, I hope, that adge was referring to in his post that I was replying to!!!

Mark.

^ Another one of my unreplied-to posts, oh well!

I nominate this! *BOOM!* It puts a little app in ya handset that enables you to lock the device from a button - I used to do this on my M500 to lock it when I was listening to music and it was in my pocket. This particular app activates the device lock. I have installed it and now using it off the back of the Button 5 (Press & Hold) mechanism, so if I'm walking I can lock one-handed with no awkward screen contact!

Hurray! :D

But am I able to UNLOCK one handed? I often like to use my Vario sans stylus and sans keyboard but I find it annoying that I can press the left softkey to unlock but still have to tap the screen to actually do this. Or am I missing something?