Post your bugs/issues here

Guest benzo

Guest Pondrew
Has anyone had problems with the keyboard as a whole not just the odd key but the whole thing? I have found that at times when you pull the keyboard out all keys do not respond.

Anyone any ideas how I can resolve this.

Thanks

I've had this once and hasn't reoccured yet. In truth it once happened on my MDA III (HTC Blue Angel). As long as it's not occuring more then once a month and is resolved by a reset (as mine was) then I won't mind...

@niacin65 and Jimbouk, I've done some testing of Dade's button press bug and at first couldn't replicate it either. The only way I've succeeded in replicating it was by holding down on the joypad while in start menu and changing direction without letting go. This did indeed get ignored as the device continued scrolling down through the start menu. I couldn't however get any other button to cause this behaviour.

When sending text messages the receiptant complains they receive two or even three of the same message. In the sent items folder there is only a single message. Anyone else seen this?

Guest MPXtricky

It happens on mine too. Jimbouk, you must feel a bit left out - wanna swap with me? ha ha :D

Nor on my 3100. Maybe you have your repeat delay and speed set weirdly in button settings...or a dodgy dpad.

Guest jimbouk
It happens on mine too. Jimbouk, you must feel a bit left out - wanna swap with me? ha ha :D

Seriously...I have tried this one every which way but loose and cannot get it to happen,

Seriously...I have tried this one every which way but loose and cannot get it to happen,

Wouldnt worry about it then, if you cant reproduce it then it's not going to be something that is going to bother you. Its more noticiable in some apps than others and also depends on how certain other buttons behave in those apps.

HTC Accept and are aware of the issue and are working to resolve.

So its back! The call history list is slowly but surely disappearing up the screen... Can't read the top entry now and the dialpad has definietly moved up a bit. Going to install last couple of apps and see if that fixes it.

Yes, I noticed this occured for the first time last night. Really odd and I could not change it no matter what i did. Was there a solution to sort it out?

have not seen this problem listed so far.

I have a vario 2 which I am loving but have one problem, when I dial a touch tone service, such as my bank were you have to press 1 etc to be put through to an operator they can not hear me yet I hear them no problem. I have already had phone replaced because of this.

does anyone else have this issue? or can suggest what I am doing wrong, phone is not on mute!, I checked I was not doing this by accident.

I have a vario 2 which I am loving but have one problem, when I dial a touch tone service, such as my bank were you have to press 1 etc to be put through to an operator they can not hear me yet I hear them no problem. I have already had phone replaced because of this.

does anyone else have this issue? or can suggest what I am doing wrong, phone is not on mute!, I checked I was not doing this by accident.

I don't think this has happened to me cos I do the same when phoning T-mob. I have to press 1 or whatever to get through to T-mob representative.. and I think they can hear me no problem.

Maybe it is your bank who has problems.. Or are you doing this through speakerphone, cos that can deteriorate the quality of sound being transmitted to the other end.. innit.

have tried it with & without using speaker phone and still have the same problem. have tried calling t-mob and again the same thing happens.

Just tried again this evening making sure not to use speaker phone and now all works fine.

Edited by CJL

I'm having problems with the screen, have to realign it like 3 times a day

I have an O2 XDA TRion

You will have to get a replacement. This is a hardware fault that seems to appear on some models and not others. HTC are aware of the problem so getting O2 to change it shouldn't be a problem.

I have experienced a similar problem.

I was using the wired headset to call T-Mob and choosing various options via keys. When they answered, they couldn't hear me except that i could hear them, they cut me off!

I am on holiday today, for a day, and was resetting my voicemail greeting this morning to indicate that.

Again used key presses to get through the menu and the greeting recorded NOTHING.

This time I was using the handset only.

Anyway, T-Mob are sending out a replacement for tomorrow morning.

It would appear that the phone has a bug which affects the mic sometimes when DTMF tones are used.

Hope my new handset doesn't do this. I am on conf calls a lot and have to tap in PINs to get onto the conf call.

Just wanted to post about a problem my dad has been having with HSDPA on his Vario 2.

Changing DNS made the "Finding Page" alot quicker however the connection is still VERY unreliable and sometimes pages don't load at all.

One thing I noticed is that the HSDPA signal is constantly at around 2 bars and if left connected for a while you could pick it up and it'd go really quick, the speedtests say 1.1Mbps and it all looks good for about 10 minutes until it goes slow again.

Anyway what seemed to also be happening is that the phone could not make up its mind wether to use GPRS or HSDPA so I'm guessing the signal isn't great (I'm in Derby) or the ROM version isn't handling things very well.

For now we've found a setting in the network options to force the Vario 2 to always use GPRS and it's fast and responsive and reliable thus far. The HSPDA speeds would have been nice, for what my dad uses it for tho it's more than enough, I'm just hoping the HSDPA is sorted out by Feb when it comes time for me to upgrade from my MiniS.

So to summarise if you're having problems with the internet on your Vario 2 (T-Mobile) it may be worth cutting back to GPRS for the sheer reliability of it always being there when you need a page... if you have awesome HSDPA signal then I hate you... :D

What DNS changes did you make ?

I have a problem that when I change the smtp server in an account, the first time i connect, it takes a full 1 or 2 minutes, saying "connecting ..." before doing anything, i'm guessing it might be a DNS issue. Of course, if I could get it to connect to anything other than the t-mobile smtp server then i wouldn't have to change it when i use wifi !

My list of bugs after 5 days with the VArio II version :

The odd sticky key, that seems to be improving.

Pressing the messaging button when the messaging application isn't already running changes the menu and banner, but not the main part of the screen ! I have to load the messaging app first.

TenGo free doesn't is sometimes unselectable. I have to reboot to make it work (Tengo bug I assume)

Can't connect reliably to any smtp server other than the t-mobile one (why is it that some people have this problem, and others not ??)

Had a problem with the phone lock, such that i could click on unlock, but then had to open the keyboard and press * as pressing unlock on the screen did nothing !

Adge

Guest mr-burns

ha ha - here's a (windows?) bug that you don't tend to see much - ok i'll admit it isn't a killer, but still shouldn't happen.

lets say you had entered one of your contacts as Phul instead of Phil and wanted to change it:

try this to see if it is just me...

go into contacts, and edit one of your people

select the 'Name' field (not the detailed menu)

you can use the left and right keys to move the cursor around in the name and hence change a particular letter.

However...

if you also wanted to add 'Mr' in the title title field, so you decided to make the changes under the detailed part of the name (i.e. click the down arrow in the name field)

if you go to any of the fields (title, first, middle, last, etc) and you will find that you can no longer move the cursor back and forth within a word..

anyone else?

Guest MPXtricky

yep, same as. But like you said, no big deal (just tap to the right of the letter and then 'Del'ete.)

ha ha - here's a (windows?) bug that you don't tend to see much - ok i'll admit it isn't a killer, but still shouldn't happen.

lets say you had entered one of your contacts as Phul instead of Phil and wanted to change it:

try this to see if it is just me...

go into contacts, and edit one of your people

select the 'Name' field (not the detailed menu)

you can use the left and right keys to move the cursor around in the name and hence change a particular letter.

However...

if you also wanted to add 'Mr' in the title title field, so you decided to make the changes under the detailed part of the name (i.e. click the down arrow in the name field)

if you go to any of the fields (title, first, middle, last, etc) and you will find that you can no longer move the cursor back and forth within a word..

anyone else?

Just a little bug that ive noticed:

When trying to make a new appointment,

Attempt to add a new attendee by creating a new contact. (im not sure why my contacts list isnt imported into this list in the first place).

Once the new contact is created, he/she appears in the list.

Selecting this new contact does nothing, so you have to click the "ok" button (top right), but then you return to the "add a new attendee" page, if you click back to create a new contact, the contact you just created has disappeared!

When you go back to the "create new appointment" page, there is no attendee selected! :D

Neal

In WMP10 on WM2003SE(PPE) the library auto-includes everything into 'All Music' etc (or so it appears, I don't store music anywhere else).

In WMP10 on WM5 it looks like eveything is seperated out. If you check your Library pull down, Storage Card is not selected. I have to select this and then navigate through the 'All Music'/'Album by Genre' etc again. What the hells going on?

Getting a similar problem too! media player has stopped showing my storage card. File explorer sees it no problem and it will play files from the storage card but it's not showing it in the library! When I update the library it freezes. Can anyone give me a hand?

mike

Guest michaelthegeek
Pressing the messaging button when the messaging application isn't already running changes the menu and banner, but not the main part of the screen ! I have to load the messaging app first.

Yup, I got that. Properly broken - I just couldn't make the messaging app window content come back. Ugly bug.

Can't connect reliably to any smtp server other than the t-mobile one (why is it that some people have this problem, and others not ??)

You using authentication for the other SMTP servers? Most SMTP servers operated by ISPs and the like only accept connections from devices on the same network, to prevent spammers abusing them. This means that the only general-access SMTP server you'll be able to connect to from T-Mobile's network will be T-Mobile's SMTP server. The alternative, should T-Mobile's SMTP be in some way deficient, is to get yourself a proper paid-for hosting account with some hosting provider, who should be able to get you SMTP services that require authentication and are therefore unrestricted

Anyway, I've got a bug of my own to add...

I've got three different POP3 email accounts, and I set it to check them every 15 minutes. Often I view the inbox but don't open the mail, because I can see from the senders and titles that they're spam or something I'll deal with later. But 15 minutes later, when it checks the mail again, even if there is no new mail it still gives another notification alert that persists until I dismiss it or view the inbox. Sometimes it sorts itself out, and stops giving bogus notifications on each mail check. Sometimes it doesn't, and receiving just one mail in the day causes the thing to keep on beeping a notification at me every 15 minutes. FWIW, I put the device into standby when I'm not using it.

Anyone else get this? Is it a bug, or me Just Not Getting It. It happens just the same on all three accounts, two of which are with a good hosting provider and one is a corporate account via VPN.

cheers.

mtg

Yup, I got that. Properly broken - I just couldn't make the messaging app window content come back. Ugly bug.

It seems it has also added empty contacts to my contacts list...well, at least we know they haven't just dissapeared in thin air!

How do I go about reporting bugs to HTC? I reckon we should point them in the direction of this topic!

Neal

You using authentication for the other SMTP servers? Most SMTP servers operated by ISPs and the like only accept connections from devices on the same network, to prevent spammers abusing them. This means that the only general-access SMTP server you'll be able to connect to from T-Mobile's network will be T-Mobile's SMTP server. The alternative, should T-Mobile's SMTP be in some way deficient, is to get yourself a proper paid-for hosting account with some hosting provider, who should be able to get you SMTP services that require authentication and are therefore unrestricted

Anyway, I've got a bug of my own to add...

I've got three different POP3 email accounts, and I set it to check them every 15 minutes. Often I view the inbox but don't open the mail, because I can see from the senders and titles that they're spam or something I'll deal with later. But 15 minutes later, when it checks the mail again, even if there is no new mail it still gives another notification alert that persists until I dismiss it or view the inbox. Sometimes it sorts itself out, and stops giving bogus notifications on each mail check. Sometimes it doesn't, and receiving just one mail in the day causes the thing to keep on beeping a notification at me every 15 minutes. FWIW, I put the device into standby when I'm not using it.

Anyone else get this? Is it a bug, or me Just Not Getting It. It happens just the same on all three accounts, two of which are with a good hosting provider and one is a corporate account via VPN.

cheers.

mtg

The external smtp servers I have tried are both with and without authentication. I know others using googlemails server with no problems, and I could always use my website one on Orange fine too.

Yes, I get the alert bug - quite annoying.

The other bug I am seeing which is really causing me problems is a startup bug. It seems that about 30%-50% of times I reboot the phone, programs such as PPCProfilePro and TenGo don't start, and cannot be started other than by rebooting again. Other than being *very* annoying, it appears that if profilePro doesn't start, then when it does, it doesn't take over properly and gets the ring tone etc etc wrong until I manually select a profile again.

This is really quite poor. My Vario is not in my good books because of this at the moment.

Adge

I've got an HTC TyTN, Hermes200, ROM Version 1.18.255.3, ROM Date 07/22/06

2GB Sandisk MicroSD Card

Software installed on Today Screen: SPB Pocket Plus, SPB Diary 2.0

Other software in use: Pocket Informant 2007 for PIM, Copilot Live 5 for navigation, Microsoft Voice Command with tweak to use bluetooth headset with voice command, Total Commander, SPB Time, fit4cat Hermes Tweaker, VITO SoundExplorer for MP3 recording

Issues I have seen, most if not all are probably ROM related based on my past experience with early HTC Wizard ROMs (perhaps with car charger exception):

1) I get a similar slow power-on that others have talked about in this forum. It takes 2 seconds to come up to full speed -- 1 second, nothing at all, 500msec, LCD is on, but no backlight, finally at around 2 seconds the backlight comes up -- if I toggle power within a few seconds, it comes on instantly --- it doesn't seem to be related to whether or not the MicroSD card is installed or not. Doesn't seem to be related to Pocket Plus either (turning it off of today screen doesn't change anything - haven't tested without program installed)

2) MicroSD card is not recognized after taking it out and putting it back in -- has only happened once. I have to soft-reset to see the card again. If default ringtone is on microSD card, the ringtone instantly reverts to windows default when the card is removed (annoying). So I have copied default ringtone to Windows/Rings and then it works fine. Custom ringtones on the card for individual contacts work fine when removing and re-inserting the card (as long as the phone doesn't ring while the card is removed)

3) 500mA capacity Car charger doesn't work correctly. If I plug the device in while TyTN is in it's power-down standby state, it starts charging. If I turn it on, it stops charging. I have to warm-reboot to get it to charge and stay on at the same time. I have another 1000mA capacity car charger - this one works fine all the time. Seems to be an issue with the charger current capacity perhaps, although when connected to a PC it always charges, and a PC USB port is limited to 500mA output current ... so it's a bit strange.

4) Strange temporary lock-ups/freezing - every once in a while (no pattern to it) the screen stops responding to input, no buttons work except the power button. I can turn it off, turn it on again and then everything works again, and whatever I tapped during the non-responsive period suddenly responds in a rush (with bad results sometimes, depending on what I tapped trying to make the device respond :-)).

5) Cingular UMTS & EDGE experience - I've gotten up to 850kbps near the Oakland Airport, and also around 750kbps in the Dallas Metropolitan area. (using http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed?jisok=1 - this only works from mobile phone). I've blue-tooth tethered with a laptop - it works great when phone is in GPRS mode on EDGE (still ony see 'G' indicator for both Edge and GRPS, 'U' for UMTS) - I get 120-160kbps, and connection is pretty reliable, can browse the web, get email with my laptop. On UMTS, with bluetooth tethering, even though the speed test posts such high speeds, the actual browsing experience on the laptop is slower than EDGE. Could be related to hard-coding the DNS servers - I'm going to play with that next time I travel. Long term browsing on UMTS just doesn't work - works in spurts. Have to disconnect and re-connect quite regularly to get anything working. I actually chatted with a friend using Pocket Skype on UMTS while going 70MPH on the freeway in the Dallas area for about 10 minutes.

6) USB Sync with ActiveSync 4.2.0 (build 4876)- "USB to PC" control panel in connections, I had to uncheck "Enable advanced network functionality" in order to get the TyTN to initially sync with my Thinkpad Laptop through the USB port in my docking station. After initial sync, I was able to re-check this box and everything worked. Bluetooth ActiveSync works fine as well.

7) Bluetooth Stereo Headset - using Anycom BSH-100, get frequent audio drop-outs. Pause/Play control works fine. Still experimenting with fit4cat tweaker to see if there is a setting that will work.

8) Hard Lock-Ups - I have had to use the stylus to soft-reset the device 3 times in the last 7 days.

9) Windows Mobile 5 Alarm Functionality - is broken. I put an alarm in, and even though I unchecked it the next day, it kept going off at 4:15AM for several days until I used MemMaid to clear it. (argh!) I am using MortPlayer to wake up to MP3 music instead of built in alarm, and that's working fine. The mono speaker on the TyTN actually sounds richer and better than the stereo speakers on the HTC Wizard.

Other TyTN observations:

Subjectively, compared to my overclocked HTC Wizard at 260MHz - this device runs at exactly the same speed in opening media files, launching many different programs. It does rotate the screen a bit faster than the Wizard however. TyTN camera launches faster too - that was annoying on the Wizard. I probably won't need to overclock the TyTN.

No problems so far with screen alignment or keyboard keys going bad, and I use the keyboard quite a bit.

Not using push email -just use 1 hour activesync schedule, saves battery life and I get way too many emails to get notified about every one. Syncing with my corporate exchange server on the internet for contacts, tasks, email and calendar events -- all works fine.

VITO Soundexplorer recording quality is much better than with HTC Wizard. The built in Microphone on the TyTN is higher quality than the Wizard - goes up to 16KHz, Wizard cut off at 8KHz.