Post your bugs/issues here

Guest benzo

4) Strange temporary lock-ups/freezing - every once in a while (no pattern to it) the screen stops responding to input, no buttons work except the power button. I can turn it off, turn it on again and then everything works again, and whatever I tapped during the non-responsive period suddenly responds in a rush (with bad results sometimes, depending on what I tapped trying to make the device respond :-)).

I was getting lockups on one of my handsets which I am 90% certain was down to the microSD card. I took it out and formatted it to FAT and put it in my other handset. No lockups on the new handset or the old one.

Stuck on "Locating ..." in Internet Explorer ?

Web pages taking 1-2 minutes to resolve before being displayed ?

SOLUTION:

There is a BUG with Windows Mobile 5. If you have WIFI configured for STATIC IP ADDRESS and STATIC DNS SEVERS, then the above problem will happen when you connect by 3G/HSDPA or GPRS !

In CONNECTIONS, NETWORK CARDS, NETWORK ADAPTERS, choose your wireless network interface eg. "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wifi Adapter" and ensure the following:

IP ADDRESS TAB:

USE SERVER-ASSIGNED IP ADDRESS (selected)

NAME SERVERS TAB:

Leave all values blank so that automatic DNS/WINS is implemented.

Try it for yourself - If you have this issue particularly on Orange (and you had tried putting DNS server addresses on the 3G connection). It will fix it. Not great I know if you want fixed static IP Addresses at home or work. At home if my server is off I like the client to be able to still use the router. I suppose I may have to consider switching DHCP on the router rather than the server again :(

Also delete the Orange WAP or Orange GPRS - Even Orange are advising this and to go through Orange World or sometimes named as Orange Internet.

The WAP proxy server will work whethe configured or not on Orange World. The WAP proxy server (the only proxy server that is is set by default on new phones) is:

192.168.71.35 Port 9201

The Orange DNS Servers (faster resolution on initial connection if hard coded into DNS settings on 3G connection) on the Orange Internet connection (or Orange World):

With other networks such as T-Mobile the level 3 servers of 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 maybe faster, but Orange DNS servers are fast enough.

Hopefully Orange, T-Mobile and Vodafone through HTC will get Microsoft to release a fix so they can incorporate into a ROM update !

Edited by unisoft

Guest spacemonkey

Has anyone else had issues around screen timeout? I keep running out of battery, but every time I look at the phone it's got it's screen on and the backlight running. I set backlight timeout to 10 seconds, but it just doesn't seem to care.

Guest rjlawson

Not sure if this is the same as the screen alignment issue - my Vario2 touch screen stops responding mid-afternoon. When I reboot & try to enter my PIN the OK button looks like it's being selected, and I have to go back to the keyboard. v632 if that helps?

Guest richardgaywood

I've seen a few bugs:

• Hot-swapping MicroSD makes it disappear: as other people have said, but I've got it bad. I've hot-swapped the MicroSD card about a half-dozen times (mostly to show people how tiny it is) and over half the times I've put it back in, the system hasn't been able to see it again until a reboot.
  • Custom ringtone: I have very few custom ringtones set up, but one in particular, when that contact rings me, the system default ringtone plays for a quarter-second, then the custom one kicks in instead. Ugly. May be related either to the ringtone itself (it's a MIDI.. specifically, the DooM theme :rolleyes:) or my use of PPCProfiles.
  • UI slowness: contrary to the reviews I read, coming from a Palm and a K750i, the slow response times are driving me nuts. It takes over 0.5 seconds to rotate the screen. It can take 1-3 seconds to open Phone when I push the green button, and after entering a number and pressing green another 1-3 seconds before it starts ringing the other side. Yes, I know the cellular network is doing a lot of work behind the scenes, and it's longer than any other mobile I've ever had.
  • Bluetooth headset: I was talking on my (admittedly quite old) S-E bluetooth headset. The call dropped, and I was getting out of the car anyway, so I called the person back (automatically connected on the headset) and tried to turn the call back to the handset. The call dropped. I turned the headset off and redialled. The call connected... but I couldn't hear the third party. I noticed the "headset" icon was still on in the phone app, even with the headset off, so I turned Bluetooth off on the phone and redialled. I still had no audio! I had to reboot the phone before my speaker came back.
  • Keyboard stopped working: typing a letter in Word mobile, entire keyboard stopped responding. Everything (including OK key, Start button, and soft buttons) were all unresponsive in all apps; closing the slider still triggered the autorotate, however. Switching input modes in the software didn't change anything. Soft reset required to resolve problem.
  • Custom ringtones: PPCProfiles doesn't seem to be able to set the ringtone, I'm still stuck with Orange's default trilling sound most of the time.
  • Alarms: seem poor, they've certainly failed to sound one time. I think I'll try MortPlayer as someone above suggested.

There's probably more niggles I've forgotten...

I have an SVP M3100.

Guest gurujockstrap

Problems I've encountered with my Vario II:

1. If I charge my Vario II overnight from the mains, I sometimes can't wake it up out of sleep mode in the morning. Press the power button and nothing happens. Have to soft reset it.

2. Caplocks. The other day, caplocks was one when it wasn't and turning off caplocks enabled it. Soft reset later and its fine.

3. Screen orientation. Sometimes I turn on the device with the keypad closed and the screen is in landscape mode. Its as if the device is confused lol

4. Camera screen brightness. I have my screen brightness set to one notch above off. So imagine my eyes when I start the camera app. My eyes! The screen brightness must be ramped up to max.

Guest richard_d

1. If I charge my Vario II overnight from the mains, I sometimes can't wake it up out of sleep mode in the morning. Press the power button and nothing happens. Have to soft reset it.

2. Caplocks. The other day, caplocks was one when it wasn't and turning off caplocks enabled it. Soft reset later and its fine.

3. Screen orientation. Sometimes I turn on the device with the keypad closed and the screen is in landscape mode. Its as if the device is confused lol

4. Camera screen brightness. I have my screen brightness set to one notch above off. So imagine my eyes when I start the camera app. My eyes! The screen brightness must be ramped up to max.

I've experienced 1) once although not after charging, just a random occurance,

2) I've had once - but this was when I'd switched between on-screen keyboard and real keyboard in the middle of writing (swapping back and switching caps off before switching again fixed it).

3) I only had when using the supplied case - definitely magnet related (in my case).

4). Not noticed the brightness to be a problem - but camera settings reseting after a soft reset is still a pain.

Richard

Getting a similar problem too! media player has stopped showing my storage card. File explorer sees it no problem and it will play files from the storage card but it's not showing it in the library! When I update the library it freezes. Can anyone give me a hand?

mike

I have this all of the time. The way you can get the storage card back is :

• Delete Folder : \Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player
  • Delete Folder : \Storage Card\MSMETADATA
  • Update Library again

Which is very annoying...... Looking for a better media player at the moment.

This is just like me !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest touficjohn
Had my phone for a long weekend and it needs to go back.

- My internet connection doesnt want to work after sitting for periods of time. I need to disconnect it the reconnect it for it to work. And even then it takes a looooooong time to establish. I've tried a bunch of different settings and none work consistently.

I just sent mine back because of that...

Btw is there a WMP plugin to play MPEGS and AVI's or do you have to get a different piece of software?

Edited by touficjohn

I have a problem with my Vario2. The Options for the Phone app cause it to hang for about 2 minutes. When it finally opens up, there are a number of tabs, most of which are fine and responsive but the default on is "phone" and whenever I select that one it hangs for a while. Can any other vario2 users replicate this?

Guest richard_d
I have a problem with my Vario2. The Options for the Phone app cause it to hang for about 2 minutes. When it finally opens up, there are a number of tabs, most of which are fine and responsive but the default on is "phone" and whenever I select that one it hangs for a while. Can any other vario2 users replicate this?

Nope

Guest barrybryce

My phone seems to have memorized old alarm settings and is still going with them.

I usually have an M-F time, Sa time and Su time. I had to get up in the middle of the night a few days ago, and changed them all to three mins apart to make sure I got up.

The next day, when I'd changed them back the three middle of the night alarms went off, along with the proper one. This morning I tried to get up half an hour later, and got five alarms.

I'm not a happy camper.

Any way I can sort this without a hard reset?

Edited by barrybryce

Guest dskeeles
Pressing the messaging button when the messaging application isn't already running changes the menu and banner, but not the main part of the screen ! I have to load the messaging app first.

I had that, but it's not persisted following a reset. I think it may be something to do with one of the SBP Today screen apps I had installed at the time.

[d]

Guest Mr.Clark

Are there any known battery issues with the Hermes?

I've got a user complaining about it, and I'm trying to figure out if he's just abusing it or if there might actually be a significant problem.

Also, he's mentioning something about screen alignment, but again, I don't know if it's just him being foolish or if it's an actual bug.

Guest dskeeles

I've got a user complaining about it, and I'm trying to figure out if he's just abusing it or if there might actually be a significant problem.

Also, he's mentioning something about screen alignment, but again, I don't know if it's just him being foolish or if it's an actual bug.

Screen Alignment is a known fault, and requires replacement by the vendor under warranty. One way to test it is to draw some horizontal and vertical lines in Notes, and see if the offset is substantial enough to be more than just poor calibration. It's intermittent - there's more info on these forums.

I think the consensus is that some people do have battery problems, but it's harder to quantify....

[d]

I assume that they are not using the wifi constantly or leaving it on continuously? If they are the battery will die very quickly.

Guest richard_d
I assume that they are not using the wifi constantly or leaving it on continuously? If they are the battery will die very quickly.

Ditto Bluetooth - I can get 48hrs light - moderate use out of the battery not using bluetooth or Wifi.

I had that, but it's not persisted following a reset. I think it may be something to do with one of the SBP Today screen apps I had installed at the time.

[d]

Mine still does this all the time unless one of the messaging apps is runnning.

I'm not running and SBP Today apps. I wonder if it's the T-mobile today plugin that causes it ?

Adge

[d]

Mine still does this all the time unless one of the messaging apps is runnning.

I'm not running the SBP Today apps. I wonder if it's the T-mobile today plugin that causes it ?

Adge

Guest Mr.Clark
Screen Alignment is a known fault, and requires replacement by the vendor under warranty. One way to test it is to draw some horizontal and vertical lines in Notes, and see if the offset is substantial enough to be more than just poor calibration. It's intermittent - there's more info on these forums.

I think the consensus is that some people do have battery problems, but it's harder to quantify....

[d]

Ditto Bluetooth - I can get 48hrs light - moderate use out of the battery not using bluetooth or Wifi.

I doubt he'll have WiFi on, but he may have bluetooth on.

48 hours doesn't seem very long... I can get at least 3 days out of my Exec, probably more. Is the Hermes battery that much weaker?

Thanks for that, anyway. I'll check the screen alignment tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a number of issues, some of which seem to 'auto-resolve' after hard/soft resets...

My "favourite" (when I was stuck in Greece with no way of properly hard resetting) was when my alarm would not turn off, at all! It woke me up at 7am all right (grumble), but then wouldn't stop! I had to mute the whole handset, but it would still vibrate anyway! Yup, even with vibrate turned off...

Anyway, I had a backup with me, which I duly installed. Then exactly two hours later, it happened again. Except this time there was no alarm set, or anything. BE WARNED - backups are not necessarily as thorough as you think they are! The culprit (although why the alarm started sounding again anyway, when there was no evidence to suggest it was still set) turned out to be SPB backup.

So, NOTA BENE! If you are abroad, and you are restoring from backup (SPB) - you MUST ensure the following:

- restore your clock settings to your "home" time.

- check your "home" time is correct relevant to where you are (ie make sure if you are in Europe (GMT+2) that your clock is at GMT)

Otherwise, the backup gets very confused and everything really does go a bit wobbly...!

(Put this in a seperate post to avoid confusion)

Another couple of doozies to report also. Contrary to an earlier post, I also had a problem whereby my backlight would constantly reset itself to turn off every ten seconds. This is really bloody annoying. However, for no apparent reason it seems to have auto-corrected. After about 5 backup installs. I had originally had to switch the backlight auto power off to infinite to stop this happening.

My all-time favourite rears its ugly head again, as well. "Cannot start camera device. Camera is already running". I KNEW THAT! I STARTED IT! I WAS TRYING TO TAKE A PICTURE!!

Swine! Taking Panorama pictures then switching back to normal camera mode seems to trigger this abomination. Also the camera sometimes 'forgets' that it's supposed to be taking 2M shots and drops down to a much smaller size apparently on its own. Also the flash is total crap...

I can't be doing with the camera crashing though, there's no way to kill the process and I have to reset the unit to get it to come back on, which is a total pain in the butt.

Also, YET ANOTHER camera compaint... I use WMP a lot. I use it in the street. Sometimes I like to take pictures in the street. So, I don't necessarily want starting the camera app to totally kill WMP, DO I? What the hell is that all about? It happens EVERY time...

There's FAR too many bugs with this unit. I would happily downgrade if there was another unit even close to this one. Of course, I expect other power users to come back now and say, "hmph, never happens to me..?", but that's par for the course innit? :rolleyes:

Guest richard_d
(Put this in a seperate post to avoid confusion)

Another couple of doozies to report also. Contrary to an earlier post, I also had a problem whereby my backlight would constantly reset itself to turn off every ten seconds. This is really bloody annoying. However, for no apparent reason it seems to have auto-corrected. After about 5 backup installs. I had originally had to switch the backlight auto power off to infinite to stop this happening.

My all-time favourite rears its ugly head again, as well. "Cannot start camera device. Camera is already running". I KNEW THAT! I STARTED IT! I WAS TRYING TO TAKE A PICTURE!!

Swine! Taking Panorama pictures then switching back to normal camera mode seems to trigger this abomination. Also the camera sometimes 'forgets' that it's supposed to be taking 2M shots and drops down to a much smaller size apparently on its own. Also the flash is total crap...

I can't be doing with the camera crashing though, there's no way to kill the process and I have to reset the unit to get it to come back on, which is a total pain in the butt.

Also, YET ANOTHER camera compaint... I use WMP a lot. I use it in the street. Sometimes I like to take pictures in the street. So, I don't necessarily want starting the camera app to totally kill WMP, DO I? What the hell is that all about? It happens EVERY time...

There's FAR too many bugs with this unit. I would happily downgrade if there was another unit even close to this one. Of course, I expect other power users to come back now and say, "hmph, never happens to me..?", but that's par for the course innit? :rolleyes:

hmph, never happens to me :(