Post your bugs/issues here

Guest benzo

Guest dskeeles

Rather than specific bugs, just an overall impression:

I currently have to soft-reset my Hermes at least once a day, with usual reasons being:

- It slows to a crawl for reasons unknown

- Skype hangs the system on loading

- Keyboard suddenly stops working

As for battery life, when using it in the same way I used my P910i, the battery nearly makes it through one day. This is with frequent internet access via 3G, but with no WiFi access, and little of the MP3 playback / Video streaming I bought it for.

[d]

(Put this in a seperate post to avoid confusion)

My all-time favourite rears its ugly head again, as well. "Cannot start camera device. Camera is already running".... Swine! Taking Panorama pictures then switching back to normal camera mode seems to trigger this abomination.

I just had this happen several times while travelling - first time I have seen it in a couple of months of ownership. It seems to be caused by moving the camera through the various modes other that straight camera. I never took panorama shots but certainly went through that mode. Always took a soft reset to fix.

Guest jimbouk

My four month old 3100 has recently started being a pain on activesync.

If I connect the device to the laptop, nothing happens, then when I reset the device, after restarting it tries to connect (even though I am no longer connected to the laptop)!

It started after spending three days in Spain with Paul...but I dont remember lending him my phone so I don't think he nobbled it...but I was very very drunk.

...but I was very very drunk.

Well that never helps, but it's definitely the handset.

On top of all the other crap I've been experiencing, I now have... THE SCREEN ALIGNMENT BUG! Tadaaaa! That's happened four or five times in the last couple of days. And there's more!

My 3G won't connect now either! Agile/IE all hang whilst attempting to connect, despite the fact the the unit reckons it's connected?? ALSO! The slider is now irritatingly loose!

This brings the number of complaints I have about this machine above the 'ridiculous' threshold! :rolleyes:

Orange really are daft sometimes when it comes to these units. It appears they've "tested" them as exhaustively as usual...

I currently have to soft-reset my Hermes at least once a day, with usual reasons being:

As for battery life, when using it in the same way I used my P910i, the battery nearly makes it through one day. This is with frequent internet access via 3G, but with no WiFi access, and little of the MP3 playback / Video streaming I bought it for.

[d]

I would appear to have been very lucky. IIRC I am packing two 632 units and neither has developed a problem, no slow downs, no hangs, no weird bugs, etc, etc. The only one I consistently get is that if I swap between portrait and landscape the keyboard has caps lock permananently on and if you click to turn it off it reappears on the next letter, but I can cure this by pressing 'dot' then caps lock. I very occasionally get something weird happening but having owned a first edition E200 and C500 the number of bugs I am getting on this handset is very, very small. My screen does seem to lose alignment very slightly on the transition between portrait and landscape also but I don't think this is the infamous screen alignment issue - its just off by a few pixels.

Guest dskeeles
I would appear to have been very lucky.

This is my second Hermes after my first went back with the screen alignment issue. I'm usually resigned to these kind of problems because I tend to go for beta software, install every app out there, etc. I have been quite cautious with the Hermes, however...

Still, I suspect the freezes requiring resets could be a software/app issue, or when a network connection is slow enough to hang an app using it. I've been meaning to look for a Datalogging task manager, if one exists (something like Bootvis for XP), but haven't had time yet.

I'm starting to feel that a PDA/Phone is too crucial a device to have to require regular analysis/debugging/rebuilding, however!

d

Guest nav007_2000

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I use mail2web for push email. TO do this my GPRS is always on. However, during the day I might want to switch on my wifi card so that i can browse the net or speak to a friend via skype. Even though my V6015 connects to my wifi router, it still tries to access webpages using GRPS. I want it to use my wifi card and not the GPRS. Can I somehow set this up so that when i use internet explorer, by default it uses the wifi card and not GPRS?

Hello all,

I use mail2web for push email. TO do this my GPRS is always on. However, during the day I might want to switch on my wifi card so that i can browse the net or speak to a friend via skype. Even though my V6015 connects to my wifi router, it still tries to access webpages using GRPS. I want it to use my wifi card and not the GPRS. Can I somehow set this up so that when i use internet explorer, by default it uses the wifi card and not GPRS?

You can use Paul's free NoData utility! Available here! While you have GPRS/WAP disabled, your unit will obviously default to WiFi :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

Guest nav007_2000
You can use Paul's free NoData utility! Available here! While you have GPRS/WAP disabled, your unit will obviously default to WiFi :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that. IS there a utility that could probably switch gprs back on?

Guest MPXtricky

I've got mine set to connect with Wi-Fi when it's turned on and I don't need to turn GPRS off with any utility. I found the info in a thread somewhere here at Modaco - can't remember where it was though :rolleyes:

Pauls utility does that - it's a toggle

When sending text messages the receiptant complains they receive two or even three of the same message. In the sent items folder there is only a single message. Anyone else seen this?

Yes, if you are using the SPB Pocket Plus product, the close button feature in the settings is the cause.

Go to your spb settings, highlight the close button, click feature options, then go to the EXCEPTIONS tab, and find tmail.exe in your windows folder and select that as an exception - this keeps it from minimising the sending of the text message, which is sending numerous times because it isnt closing proplerly.

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by LushUK

Yes, if you are using the SPB Pocket Plus product, the close button feature in the settings is the cause.

Go to your spb settings, highlight the close button, click feature options, then go to the EXCEPTIONS tab, and find tmail.exe in your windows folder and select that as an exception - this keeps it from minimising the sending of the text message, which is sending numerous times because it isnt closing proplerly.

Hope this helps! :D

Alternatively, what you must do is turn on a notification for 'SMS Sent' and wait for that notification before clicking the close button, after clicking send in the message window. That definitely works - takes a couple of seconds generally. If you are using SPB PPlus and have 'Alt+Tab Switching' switched on, the mail app will appear in that list, if you set it up as described by LushUK. If you don't mind that, then either way is good! :)

Hello all,

I found that it only works like this if you let the wifi detect your network on its own THEN add the passkey. If I input the wireless settings before connecting to the network it would always try and use the 3G, if I do it the other way then it worked normally. Annoying because I had to turn the SSID on on my router so that I could detect it then turn it off again.

[d]

I am also experiencing this on my m3100. No bugs (yet) except I have to soft reset at least once a day because the whole thing just freezes up. Software I have installed is just the same as I had on old m500 which was ultra reliable. Think I had to soft reset that one maybe a couple of times in a year! Progress I guess.

Guest dskeeles
I am also experiencing this on my m3100. No bugs (yet) except I have to soft reset at least once a day because the whole thing just freezes up. Software I have installed is just the same as I had on old m500 which was ultra reliable. Think I had to soft reset that one maybe a couple of times in a year! Progress I guess.

I've also found mine hanging while in suspend mode, such that it won't turn on when I pick it up again. That's the most annoying, as I might have had a half-finished document in RAM at the time... It happens once every few days or so.

I am going to rebuild it, and slowly re-install the apps; hopefully I'll find any troublesome ones in the process. So far, Skype seems to be the worst offender.

[d]

I am also having problems with alarm and task reminder notifications on my vario2. After working fine for a while the alarm notification, but not the actual alarm stops - a real pain as you now can't turn it off while it is blaring at you in the morning, or set it to snooze. The task reminder - including the vibrate & audible alert - also goes.

A hard reset resolves the problem, only for it to return within the week.

I am not running anything exotic - pocket breeze, iLauncher, agenda fusion, eWallet, HiCalc & SKtools (the problem occurs without any settings being amended).

The alarm bug certainly seems to be a common issue, are others experiencing the task reminder issue too? Call / SMS / email notifications are working fine.

I will try mortplayer for now, but hope someone is able to get to the bottom of this annoyance before my wife kills me for not being able the silence the alarm when the fault next returns after tonight's hard reset

Guest Matthew Herd

My M3100 is less than 48 hours old, I charged it, used it and let it discharge comepletely to try and prolong battery life and no all I get is No Signal and no access to the phone menu. Ive tried looking on the XDA Developers site but cant seem to get onto it.

I got given the M3100 as the M600 I had broke down four times in 5 months! Im not the SPV's biggest fan at the moment.

CAN ANYONE HELP? IS IT A HARDWARE PROBLEM?

Guest jimbouk

Current thinking is that these batteries dont need to be discharged to prolong life - and in fact WM5 is a pain to restart after a flat battery.

Give it a full charge and if it wont play ball when you turn it on, hard reset it.

Guest jimbouk

Current thinking is that these batteries dont need to be discharged to prolong life - and in fact WM5 is a pain to restart after a flat battery.

Give it a full charge and if it wont play ball when you turn it on, hard reset it.

Guest richard_d
My M3100 is less than 48 hours old, I charged it, used it and let it discharge comepletely to try and prolong battery life and no all I get is No Signal and no access to the phone menu. Ive tried looking on the XDA Developers site but cant seem to get onto it.

I got given the M3100 as the M600 I had broke down four times in 5 months! Im not the SPV's biggest fan at the moment.

CAN ANYONE HELP? IS IT A HARDWARE PROBLEM?

Completely discharging LIon batteries can kill the battery as the manual should warn.

Guest Ingvarr

To completely discharge LiIon battery you need both to run it to "0%" in device and leave it lie for long time.

Built-in controller will prevent full discharge.

But battery will continue to discharge even when it switched off, and protection will not save against it.

Discharge to "device switch-off" is not a full LiIon cell discharge. In fact, its recommended to do a full discharge cycle at least once a month, so battery controller will learn about current battery capacity (as its slowly reduces over time). But not more often - too often full cycles will stress and wear out battery faster.

I'm now getting that "not waking up from standby" one that I have seen a few mentions of in this discussion.

Really annoying having to do a soft reset just to make a phone call on a phone! Anyone had any ideas about that bug?

Guest richard_d
I'm now getting that "not waking up from standby" one that I have seen a few mentions of in this discussion.

Really annoying having to do a soft reset just to make a phone call on a phone! Anyone had any ideas about that bug?

It seems to frequently be a software conflict - what have you installed?

It seems to frequently be a software conflict - what have you installed?

Hi & thanks for that idea. I have spb pocketplus, pocketbreeze diary& weather, tomtom 5 & a few games. Will load skype at some point too. Thats about it I think. I just switched it on to check if there was anything else & guess what!? Another soft reset to get it working!