T-Mobile settings/branding on a M3100

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Right I'm wording this carefully to avoid the mods hurting me.

I have a Orange M3100 which I am going to use on T Mobile.

Because I'm lazy I'd like to do it properly, rather than just bung the tmobile data connections etc in.

I see three options

1) 'Find' a copy of the Vario II EXT ROM, and copy it to my device using the EXT ROM Mount tool

2) On my Tmobile contract I've ordered a MDA Compact II (just for the sake of it really as it was free). Can I copy the EXT ROM, or part of it, from the MDA to my M3100 or is this asking for trouble?

3) Just add the data connection

If you have a Vario II either in hand or on the way... could you PM me pleaseeeee?

Edited by MARKUKCOUK

Guest boyo69
Right I'm wording this carefully to avoid the mods hurting me.

I have a Orange M3100 which I am going to use on T Mobile.

Because I'm lazy I'd like to do it properly, rather than just bung the tmobile data connections etc in.

I see three options

1) 'Find' a copy of the Vario II EXT ROM, and copy it to my device using the EXT ROM Mount tool

2) On my Tmobile contract I've ordered a MDA Compact II (just for the sake of it really as it was free). Can I copy the EXT ROM, or part of it, from the MDA to my M3100 or is this asking for trouble?

3) Just add the data connection

If you have a Vario II either in hand or on the way... could you PM me pleaseeeee?

would the attached be of use to you??

it is the Operator settings CAB for TMobile UK Contract - gives GPRS, WAP and MMS settings once run on the device - you will obviously need to delete the Orange one's first

works for me on my HTC TyTn on TMobile

T_Mobile_UK.CAB

Guest Pondrew

A word of warning - apparently some of the files/apps/patches in Extended Roms of Pocket PC Phones in the past have been specific to the rom version or Windows Mobile build that they're bundled with and as a result cause unpredictable results, problems, or simply don't work when run/installed on different rom versions.

My advice would be to either source a T-Mobile UK MDA Vario II rom and flash that onto your SPV M3100 (you'll need to CID unlock it first), manually input the settings, OR try the cab boyo69 kindly uploaded :)

Guest andyhud
A word of warning - apparently some of the files/apps/patches in Extended Roms of Pocket PC Phones in the past have been specific to the rom version or Windows Mobile build that they're bundled with and as a result cause unpredictable results, problems, or simply don't work when run/installed on different rom versions.

My advice would be to either source a T-Mobile UK MDA Vario II rom and flash that onto your SPV M3100 (you'll need to CID unlock it first), manually input the settings, OR try the cab boyo69 kindly uploaded :)

MARKUKCOUK... did you get any luck doing this in the end? I'm trying to do exactly the same and the cab file boyo69 kindly offered only seems to of change the wallpaper.

On a side note, our 3G settings for T-mobile (or any network operator for that matter) different from the settings used for GPRS?

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Guest MARKUKCOUK

BOYO69...

Cheers, I will try this later (I'm currently still on Orange, with a T Mobile sim due today!)

Pondrew:

Thanks for the advice. I presume you mean a M3100 is not a Vario II... and may have slight changes etc? Would I be right in thinking asking for a TMobile rom when it is released, would be classed as piracy and therefore Modaco-banned?

Andy:

Not tried it yet, will try later

Guest rickwookie
Would I be right in thinking asking for a TMobile rom when it is released, would be classed as piracy and therefore Modaco-banned?

Surely transfering the Vario II EXT ROM around would also be infringing on T's IP?

I can't see them bitching about it though. They'll be getting your network business without having to have supplied you the expensive bit of kit. :)

Guest Pondrew

I honestly don't know if the Hermes extended roms will be interchangable between variants. Just wanted to make sure you realised that in the past there have been issues.

As for roms, MoDaCo has no problems with posting of links to official rom update pages, no direct links, uploading, or sharing by pm though please.

Guest andyhud

Cheers for the cab robt but I got mine in the end from

http://tmobileuk.wdsglobal.com/phonefirst?...amp;submit=Next

Does anyone know if the GPRS settings are the same for 3G? How do I tell if I'm connected via 3G or GPRS?

I mean, I have a 3G icon in the top bar and when i go on the internet I get a smaller "3" on top of the signal level.. I'm assuming that means connected via 3G!?!

Cheers

Andy

Guest Pondrew
I mean, I have a 3G icon in the top bar and when i go on the internet I get a smaller "3" on top of the signal level.. I'm assuming that means connected via 3G!?!

Cheers

Andy

Yep.

Guest boyo69
MARKUKCOUK... did you get any luck doing this in the end? I'm trying to do exactly the same and the cab file boyo69 kindly offered only seems to of change the wallpaper.

On a side note, our 3G settings for T-mobile (or any network operator for that matter) different from the settings used for GPRS?

Many thanks in advance

Andy

if you have still got the orange settings in (go to start, settings, connections, connections, manage existing connections) AFTER you have installed the UK Cab file, you will probably see 'auto pick, T-Mobile and Orange settings'............if you are not going to be using Orange, then delete those because even after installing the Cab file i uploaded, unless you force the settings to t-mobile it will probably try to carry on connecting to the previous Orange settings

to know if it has worked, go to the MMS server settings in Inbox and you will see that the server settings now show TMobile instead

and yes, for some bizarre reason, it does alter the today screen wallpaper! but you can back into Today settings and reset back to whatever you had (including the TyTn green effort!)

it has always worked for me - and if anyone wants the other UK operator settings please PM me

regards

Guest MARKUKCOUK
if you have still got the orange settings in (go to start, settings, connections, connections, manage existing connections) AFTER you have installed the UK Cab file, you will probably see 'auto pick, T-Mobile and Orange settings'............if you are not going to be using Orange, then delete those because even after installing the Cab file i uploaded, unless you force the settings to t-mobile it will probably try to carry on connecting to the previous Orange settings

to know if it has worked, go to the MMS server settings in Inbox and you will see that the server settings now show TMobile instead

and yes, for some bizarre reason, it does alter the today screen wallpaper! but you can back into Today settings and reset back to whatever you had (including the TyTn green effort!)

it has always worked for me - and if anyone wants the other UK operator settings please PM me

regards

i'VE ACTUALLY flashed my M3100 to a TTYN rom, and therefore there are no settings installed :D

Guest andyhud
i'VE ACTUALLY flashed my M3100 to a TTYN rom, and therefore there are no settings installed :D

Afternoon Mark

Is it possible for you to send me (or pm me the link) to the ttyn rom for my M3100?

I'd love to have it with a generic non-operator OS on it!

Cheers

Andy

Guest boyo69
Afternoon Mark

Is it possible for you to send me (or pm me the link) to the ttyn rom for my M3100?

I'd love to have it with a generic non-operator OS on it!

Cheers

Andy

me too !! :D

Guest MARKUKCOUK
me too !! :D

To be honest I thought that off the cuff remark may have got a bit of interest!

A ROM update for TTYN has been released according to XDA Dev, so I believe its ok to link to it.

I'm actually running a completely blank TTYN rom, without pre-customisation or ext rom, and its nice and quick. I am going to use the TTYN stuff now though.

The Phone Pad also works in it (though it has to be installed from elsewhere)

Link:

ftp://xda:[email protected]/Uplo..._10303_ship.zip

Its about30/40 meg, and takes 25 mins to install to device.

connect device, Run the rom update, itll fail and say invalid id, DONT UNPLUG DEVICE, just run the rom setup again and itll install

Guest andyhud
To be honest I thought that off the cuff remark may have got a bit of interest!

A ROM update for TTYN has been released according to XDA Dev, so I believe its ok to link to it.

I'm actually running a completely blank TTYN rom, without pre-customisation or ext rom, and its nice and quick. I am going to use the TTYN stuff now though.

The Phone Pad also works in it (though it has to be installed from elsewhere)

Link:

ftp://xda:[email protected]/Uplo..._10303_ship.zip

Its about30/40 meg, and takes 25 mins to install to device.

connect device, Run the rom update, itll fail and say invalid id, DONT UNPLUG DEVICE, just run the rom setup again and itll install

Morning..

Just a thought before I attempt this tytn rom on my M3100... Does the rom include the Messaging, Security and Feature Pack (MSFP) from Microsoft?

Cheers

Andy

Guest tubaloopy
Morning..

Just a thought before I attempt this tytn rom on my M3100... Does the rom include the Messaging, Security and Feature Pack (MSFP) from Microsoft?

Cheers

Andy

It does include MSN messenger. I use Direct Push to sync my calendar, contacts and email with an Exchange Server so I think that MSFP is included (although it might be better if someone else could confirm the last point because I am new to Pocket PC phones and WM5).

Guest andyhud
It does include MSN messenger. I use Direct Push to sync my calendar, contacts and email with an Exchange Server so I think that MSFP is included (although it might be better if someone else could confirm the last point because I am new to Pocket PC phones and WM5).

exactly the same situation as me tubaloopy. Have you installed the activesync webadmin tools (to manage PPC WM5 devices) on your server/network? If you can see your device listed in there and options like "remote wipe" are available to you then I'm assuming that the MSFP is part of the tytn ROM I want to try...

Cheers

Andy

Guest tubaloopy
exactly the same situation as me tubaloopy. Have you installed the activesync webadmin tools (to manage PPC WM5 devices) on your server/network? If you can see your device listed in there and options like "remote wipe" are available to you then I'm assuming that the MSFP is part of the tytn ROM I want to try...

Cheers

Andy

I don't have my own server, I use one provided by 4smartphone.net. Their service allows me to use Direct Push but I'm afraid that my knowledge of the subject ends there. Sorry I can't help you any more than that.

Guest mattie01

this is all very intresting.. as like alot of you guys, i got a m3100 from orange and want to wack a t-mobile sim in it...

has anyone noticed any side effects to just running the cab files to update the settings, or is it worth installing thenew rom and then just running the .cab files for t-mobile settings?

Guest andyhud
this is all very intresting.. as like alot of you guys, i got a m3100 from orange and want to wack a t-mobile sim in it...

has anyone noticed any side effects to just running the cab files to update the settings, or is it worth installing thenew rom and then just running the .cab files for t-mobile settings?

I had those thoughts too... but my route went like this

1. Unlocked my M3100 via http://www.imei-check.co.uk/m3100unlock.php

Worked a treat

2. Downloaded HTC Rom

3. Installed said ROM onto my phone by following dead easy instructions

4. Used Pauls "Free Hermes Software" topic to install all the good free software (inc the disabling of the annoying "are you sure you want to install this software" notification)

5. Used this link http://tmobileuk.wdsglobal.com/phonefirst?...amp;submit=Next to enter the t-mobile settings for internet/mms/wap etc. All worked fine and MMS worked straight away.

6. Inserted my t-mobile sim and off I went!

Good luck

Andy

Edited by andyhud

Guest mattie01
I had those thoughts too... but my route went like this

1. Unlocked my M3100 via http://www.imei-check.co.uk/m3100unlock.php

Worked a treat

2. Downloaded HTC Rom

3. Installed said ROM onto my phone by following dead easy instructions

4. Used Pauls "Free Hermes Software" topic to install all the good free software (inc the disabling of the annoying "are you sure you want to install this software" notification)

5. Used this link http://tmobileuk.wdsglobal.com/phonefirst?...amp;submit=Next to enter the t-mobile settings for internet/mms/wap etc. All worked fine and MMS worked straight away.

6. Inserted my t-mobile sim and off I went!

Good luck

Andy

thanks andy thats a great ease off my mind and a great help.

i do have one extra question thou. does the htc rom thats been linked to include any ext_rom stuff that might effect the device?

as i have seen some people mention about booting there phones and soft resetting it before ext_rom kicks in. or did you do the full htc rom install including ext_rom (if there is any?)

Guest andyhud
thanks andy thats a great ease off my mind and a great help.

i do have one extra question thou. does the htc rom thats been linked to include any ext_rom stuff that might effect the device?

as i have seen some people mention about booting there phones and soft resetting it before ext_rom kicks in. or did you do the full htc rom install including ext_rom (if there is any?)

Hello mate

Yeah it does have EXT rom stuff after the first boot and I let it run.. I think (not 100% sure) but it supplies MMS, Video calling and some other utils... to be honest, it runs blisteringly quick with it all on and I've had no problems at all with it... much better than the orange branded rom...

My advice... do it! (though be patient with the rom update... it takes nearly 25 mins via USB cable!)

A.

Guest Pondrew

Last time I checked www.xda-developers.com weren't an official rom provider. No links to leaked/unofficial roms will be allowed per the forum rules...