Using a non T-Mobile HTTP proxy

Guest julianmclean

Guest fantastic_mr_q

Sadly my fears are true. With the pipex proxy everything works except windows live messenger beta. You guys reckon its the proxy or the fact its just a beta? Agile messenger works fine, no questions askd so nothing can be being blocked surely?

Guest Syphon Filter
Sadly my fears are true. With the pipex proxy everything works except windows live messenger beta. You guys reckon its the proxy or the fact its just a beta? Agile messenger works fine, no questions askd so nothing can be being blocked surely?

I can't get pocket msn to sign in or retrieve my hotmail via the proxy.

Hi I have just got my MDA Vario II today and this thread has helped load thanks! My 2cp... MSN dosent work on the pipex proxy and when I want to use my wifi again I have to remove the proxy settings in the t-mobile gprs connection otherwise internet explorer tries to use the pipex proxy! obviously that won't work as I am on blueyonder at home! anyone have the same problem? Cheers.

Craig

Guest fantastic_mr_q

Good point there! My Wifi Dont work either! Anyone know of a quick way of entering and re-entering all these settings, could we perhaps make a button on the today screen or programs that switches betwwen available connections?

Guest fantastic_mr_q

Under Network Management I now have T-Mobile Internet (Which only has the DNS Servers) this works for my wifi, (Yay and works Live Messenger Beta!)

Then I have a second profile called Pipex which is purely for GPRS when Im out and about, just have to remember to flick between the two. This will not work on my Wifi or Live Messenger.

I want a shortcut on my Resco Today plugin or in programs that would flick between the two.

If we make a proxy for MoDaco would it cause the same problems?

Guest Paul (MVP)

For the messenger problem, try defining a SOCKS proxy in your proxy settings with the following details:

Address: webcache.dial.pipex.com

Port: 1080

I can't test right now, but IIRC Messenger uses a SOCKS proxy if configured, and if Pipex are running one, it'd be on that port :D

:D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

WiFi problem - here's one possible solution... you could set your settings so that rather than your WiFi connecting to 'The Internet', you could mark it as connecting to 'Work'.

Then, click the 'This network connects to the Internet' box on your device (for the work network of course), and don't enter a proxy.

Again, can't test, but theoretically should work.

Of course, if we had our own proxy, it'd work on WiFi too as long as you had the login details :D

P

Guest fantastic_mr_q

Socks works!! MSN Now works with Pipex settings! Awesome stuff

Just deleted my Wifi Pairing, reconnected telling it to connect to "Work" where do I edit "Work" settings to tell it to connect to the net,

You get this working Ill buy a membership!

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, MSN seems to work, but the wireless trick does not.

I'm off to bed, but i'll have another play tomorrow :D

There has to be a way... :D

P

Guest FrankyG

With Proxy: (the pipex one...)

707.9 kb/s

707.9 kb/s

652.8 kb/s

without:

1.4 Mb/s

445 kb/s

1.7 Mb/s

1.7 Mb/s

Still using the suggested DNS servers and level 3's also.

I have tried the SOCKS proxy for MSN and it still wont connect, it try's to connect and I get the "waiting" icon in the middle of the screen but it gets no further.

Anyone managed to get it working?

Craig

Seems pretty fast this morning with no proxy at all.

- Perhaps T-mob were upgrading in preparation for the official HSDPA launch and it is all now fine

- Perhaps the proxy is no longer groaning from the weight of Modaco users

- Perhaps it will break again in 5 minutes time

Nice to know there's a backup option though.

Guest Paul (MVP)
I have tried the SOCKS proxy for MSN and it still wont connect, it try's to connect and I get the "waiting" icon in the middle of the screen but it gets no further.

Anyone managed to get it working?

Craig

Yeah, me, and those who posted above :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Seems pretty fast this morning with no proxy at all.

- Perhaps T-mob were upgrading in preparation for the official HSDPA launch and it is all now fine

- Perhaps the proxy is no longer groaning from the weight of Modaco users

- Perhaps it will break again in 5 minutes time

Nice to know there's a backup option though.

Still feels lethargic for me by comparison!

P

Guest Syphon Filter
Yeah, me, and those who posted above :D

P

I am having the same problem as Craig.

I have the SOCKS information entered and I am still unable to sign-in on MSN nor can I retrieve my hotmail.

To confirm:

Network "Proxy Test"

Connection "Proxy Test"

HTTP Proxy: webcache.dial.pipex.com:3128

SOCKS Proxy: webcache.dial.pipex.com:1080 (should this be set as a SOCKS 4 or 5?)

Connection info:

general.t-mobile.uk

user/one2one

DNS:

I have selected the "Proxy Test" network under the "Select Networks" section and for the two email accounts that I use POP3 from. Everything seems to be working except MSN Messenger and MSN Hotmail email retrieval (via Outlook on the device).

What the hell am I doing wrong??

TIA Syphon.

PS:

AM in the modaco IRC channel if anyone fancies a chat about this stuff!

Guest mattie01

ok guys, once again can someone help me test a change to the settings i posted yesterday,

instead of using webcache.dial.pipex.com can we try

webcache.dsl.pipex.com

as this is pipex's proxy for adsl customer which should mean its got more bandwith so the speedtest should be better, but there also a possiblity that the dial proxy could be faster as pipex has more dsl customers then dial therfore the dial one could be sitting there almost unused (apart from us modaco guys hammering it.)

also of note i've been using the pipex dial webcache and had no probs connecting to windows live messenger service, even thou sycronising failed which might be related...

Guest Paul (MVP)

OK, so...

webcache.dial.pipex.com = 158.43.240.9

webcache.dsl.pipex.com = 158.43.240.11

What's the betting there's a secret proxy 158.43.240.10?

P

[Edit: Yes there is, and it works :D It's fast, of course!]

AM in the modaco IRC channel if anyone fancies a chat about this stuff!

O/T But for the last week I haven't been able to connect to the IRC channel from either work or home on either FF or IE. Just get a page of text

Guest Paul (MVP)

Still a bit of a pain that WiFi access gets broken due to being locked out of the pipex proxy when not on t-mo's infrastructure.

Not sure how to get round that one :S

P

Guest mattie01
Still a bit of a pain that WiFi access gets broken due to being locked out of the pipex proxy when not on t-mo's infrastructure.

Not sure how to get round that one :S

P

maybe it might be worth setting up a modaco proxy, and if its locked down to username and passwords of your modaco membership, would also mean you can open it up so it can be connected to via any connection t-mob or your normal isp, which would then make it accesseble while still keeping it secure...

Guest mattie01

on a side note thou, i'm wondering if entering the proxy address via i.p address might also give another positive speed boost...?

Edited by mattie01

Guest gurujockstrap

My first post here. Been lurking in the background for about a month now and finally decided to join. :D

Must say that those pipex DNS and proxy settings (dial not dsl) are superb! Net access is like lightening!

I can access the Internet fine and access my gmail account but I'm still having problems with MSN Messenger and Hotmail.

Once the data connection is established it appears to constantly try and sign in. I've "Switched User" as it was using the default T-Mobile connection to connect and not the new faster proxy one I created. It couldn't sign in with the previous connection either.