Using a non T-Mobile HTTP proxy

Guest julianmclean

I have been using the default TMob settings and the access seemed to have been much better recently. However I was up near Highbury yesterday and although I had a 3G signal I got the locating issue again. I am guessing this is probably due to the fact the masts in the area were totally overloaded with the 60,000 extra people in the area? Looked a bit of a berk trying to show off my new phone only to get no connection! Is there any way to force the phone to use GPRS in these circumstances or would that not help anyway?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Time for those 28+ people to put their money where their mouth is... i've just ordered a dedicated server that will become the MoDaCo proxy (when they set it up!)

I'll probably be putting on a HTTP / SOCKS proxy initially, then researching other options such as VPN and additional services such as file storage.

Funtime? :D

1and1 DO say setup could take 'up to a few days', so let's see eh!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Incidentally, i'll be using a compressing HTTP proxy too, so as well as normal speed increases associated with a caching proxy, that should help too, and save money for those not on flat rate :D

P

Nic one Paul.

I think I'll sign up but I do have a couple of questions.

Will this server allow us to use wifi without having to constantly switch connections back to the T-Mob settings and will we be able to get full HSPDA download speeds unlike the current Pipex setup?

Thanks.

Guest Syphon Filter
Nic one Paul.

I think I'll sign up but I do have a couple of questions.

Will this server allow us to use wifi without having to constantly switch connections back to the T-Mob settings and will we be able to get full HSPDA download speeds unlike the current Pipex setup?

Thanks.

Yeah these are things I would want to know too...

Also Paul, are you not finding Tmobile MUCH better as of late?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yes, it should.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Also Paul, are you not finding Tmobile MUCH better as of late?

Patchy.

I did a test over the weekend... sometimes great, sometimes dire... not good enough I'd want to use their own DNS / proxy atm tho!

P

Just thought I'd add a quick point regarding DNS servers. If they don't respond to a ping it doesn't mean that they're down, as lots of network admins will block ICMP (ping) traffic at their firewalls and gateways, to reduce the load on their DNS servers. It was ping attacks that brought down the main root servers a few years ago: http://boston.internet.com/news/article.php/1486981

Most of the major DNS servers listed earlier in the thread should be up, and I'd recommend those by OpenDNS. They've even added a page on changing DNS Settings for mobile devices, so maybe someone's been reading this thread! http://blog.opendns.com/2006/09/05/instruc...on-your-mobile/

Can you run ISA on Virtual Server 2005? That's what I've got my box at home doing.. Server 2003 x64 running multiple WS2003 and XP Pro's? Mean's once you've got the setup right it's easy to move across to any box you like.

These DNS tweaks may work for T-Mobile but do NOT work for Orange UK.

I still get delays of 1 minute on resolving DNS with the usual "Locating" message.

Contacted Orange Customer Services and they were arrogant (as expected) and said they had sold loads of these devices and they would know if there was a problem. I said I had a new M3100, supplied by Orange and a clean build with new 3G SIM.

I also asked why Orange World kept protesting that content was only available to Orange Phones and also asked why traffic TV would not install saying it was not meant for this phone (It was ! and comes with Racoon packages, FREE for 3 months!!).

Unless its on the scripted cards in front of CS you have no hope with Orange. Their Customer Service is dreadful (on more than one occasion and over several years). I had come back to Orange from O2 as they didnt have the M3100 but I am already regretting it.

Has anyone got a fix yet for Orange ? Maybe its a registry key setting for DNS cache or something ?

Guest Jasonkruys
Server is up, will update this thread as soon as it's running a proxy server... that's the first step I think :D

P

Superb news Paul! You have done so much for us over the years :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

Here's a few details so people can have a quick play before this goes 'Plus Only'.

If you set your proxy server to proxy.modaco.com (should resolve to 87.106.54.167 if you've had the DNS), port 3128, username 'plus' and password 'proxy', you can check out our new proxy box, both from GPRS/3G/HSDPA and WiFi.

This is a very quick rough and ready build to get something in place, and I haven't investigated getting Messenger working yet.

Off to see a film now :D

P

Here's a few details so people can have a quick play before this goes 'Plus Only'.

If you set your proxy server to proxy.modaco.com (should resolve to 87.106.54.167 if you've had the DNS), port 3128, username 'plus' and password 'proxy', you can check out our new proxy box, both from GPRS/3G/HSDPA and WiFi.

This is a very quick rough and ready build to get something in place, and I haven't investigated getting Messenger working yet.

Off to see a film now :P

P

Paul,

I can confirm that this *** DOES *** speed up Orange Internet on Ornage M3100 considerable. I no longer wait 1-2 minutes for a page to appear !

Will email Orange to tell their CS halfwits that spoke down to me earlier today that the proxy server/DNS are at fault. They denied all knowledge in internet team earlier today quoting they had sold hundreds of M3100 and implied I was making it up.

I think the entrance test at Orange CS is if you can read a script then you get the job.

Im so sick of bad customer service in these multi million establishments. I wish I never went back to Orange, they truly are useless.

I'll have a mess around with these as soon as I get to work and let you know the results.

I was surfing the the plain vanilla TMob settings last night and it was lighting fast. I might give it a whizz at work today because that has been much slower in the past and if so I will swap to the new settings. Guess it depends whether it is the mast that is busy or the proxy/dns?