Using a non T-Mobile HTTP proxy

Guest julianmclean

Guest Jasonkruys

Paul, I can't sync my activesync with this proxy, I have gone to and forth, and it is definately the proxy....I get

"The proxy server you have specified is incompatible with your device. Please specify the correct proxy server in your connection configuration"

Support code is 0x85010008

This happens with both direct push and manual initiation of a sync...

I am using a 4smartphone pro account if that is relevant...

Also (might be the cause) i have no proxy server tab in "my isp" settings, not even if i setup a new one. I have to do it with "my work connection", and set programs that access thee internet to use that....is this my problem?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, i'm using 4smartphone and it works, so that's weird. I assume you can browse OK with the proxy?

Have you followed the instructions in the first post to create settings with a proxy?

Setting it up on the work connection definitely adds complexities...

P

Guest Jasonkruys

P,

Deleted everything, hard rest and started again....

Everything is set up EXACTLY as instructed...Can browse ok, in fact, am on it now, but I still get the 'Attention Required' message on activesync as described above..

Guest notaliberal

Hate to sound dumb, but is it safe to assume that the reason I can't get this to work is simply that I'm on the cheesy $5.99 t-zones plan?

Does this all apply only to those with the actual t-mobile internet added to their plan?

If so...bummer.

Anybody else know of free proxy's that use port 8080 (or 25 or 110), since I assume it's the port 3128 that is why t-zones folks can't use it?

Thanks,

Hi Paul, I'm having exactly the same problem with Active Sync and I am using a Mail2Web account - exactly the same error message and Support code. I added the proxy by clicking on the Proxy Settings tab of the existing T-Mobile internet connection.

Paul, I can't sync my activesync with this proxy, I have gone to and forth, and it is definately the proxy....I get

"The proxy server you have specified is incompatible with your device. Please specify the correct proxy server in your connection configuration"

Support code is 0x85010008

This happens with both direct push and manual initiation of a sync...

I am using a 4smartphone pro account if that is relevant...

Also (might be the cause) i have no proxy server tab in "my isp" settings, not even if i setup a new one. I have to do it with "my work connection", and set programs that access thee internet to use that....is this my problem?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hate to sound dumb, but is it safe to assume that the reason I can't get this to work is simply that I'm on the cheesy $5.99 t-zones plan?

Does this all apply only to those with the actual t-mobile internet added to their plan?

If so...bummer.

Anybody else know of free proxy's that use port 8080 (or 25 or 110), since I assume it's the port 3128 that is why t-zones folks can't use it?

Thanks,

No reason why it shouldn't work.

What details are you using, and what problem are you having?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi Paul, I'm having exactly the same problem with Active Sync and I am using a Mail2Web account - exactly the same error message and Support code. I added the proxy by clicking on the Proxy Settings tab of the existing T-Mobile internet connection.

We're just working thru this problem in the Plus thread now...

P

Guest notaliberal

Perhaps it was no longer free when I tried.

Just signed up for plus, so I'll try again, getting my instructions from the plus thread. I'll let you know if I still have problems.

Thanks!

Guest notaliberal

I must still be doing something wrong...

Here are my current settings:

In GPRS settings, I have one listing

T-Mobile GPRS

Connects To: The internet

Access Point: wap.voicestream.com

Primary DNS: personal one from my home ISP

Secondary DNS: personal one from my home ISP

In Proxy Settings

T-Mobile Proxy -

Conncects from: The internet

Connects To: WAP Network

Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080

Type: HTTP

Modaco Proxy-

Connects from: The Internet

Connects To: WAP Network

Proxy: proxy.modaco.com:3128

Type: HTTP

user: username

pass:password

With those settings, I can browse when IE is set to connection: WAP netowrk. If I delete the T-mobile proxy, I can't browse anywhere. With it as shown, the Surreal Networks bandwidth test shows me getting ~190.2Kbps, and says I can download from their servers at ~23K

That is no faster than i got before adding the proxy, so I assume it's still jsut using the T-mobile one.

Is there something I'm missing? is it something with my "connects to" and "connects from" fields?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Stuck on "Locating ..." in Internet Explorer ?

Web pages taking 1-2 minutes to resolve before being displayed ?

SOLUTION:

There is a BUG with Windows Mobile 5. If you have WIFI configured for STATIC IP ADDRESS and STATIC DNS SEVERS, then the above problem will happen !

In CONNECTIONS, NETWORK CARDS, NETWORK ADAPTERS, choose your wireless network interface eg. "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible Wifi Adapter" and ensure the following:

IP ADDRESS TAB:

USER SERVER-ASSIGNED IP ADDRESS (selected)

NAME SERVERS TAB:

Leave all values blank so that automatic DNS/WINS is implemented.

Try it for yourself - If you have this issue particularly on Orange (and you had tried putting DNS server addresses on the 3G connection). It will fix it. Not great I know if you want fixed static IP Addresses at home or work. At home if my server is off I like the client to be able to still use the router. I suppose I may have to consider switching DHCP on the router rather than the server again :(

Also delete the Orange WAP or Orange GPRS - Even Orange are advising this and to go through Orange World or sometimes named as Orange Internet.

The WAP proxy server will work whethe configured or not on Orange World. The WAP proxy server (the only proxy server that is is set by default on new phones) is:

192.168.71.35 Port 9201

The Orange DNS Servers (faster resolution on initial connection if hard coded into DNS settings on 3G connection) on the Orange Internet connection (or Orange World):

Wit other networks such as T-Mobile the level 3 servers of 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 maybe faster, but Orange DNS servers are fast enough.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FragMeister
Paul,

Is there any chance that you can set up temporary usernames/passwords that work for 24hrs from the time that you PM them to a user (say five active tops at any one time). So that we can see the difference for ourselves?

I would need to "sample the goods" so to speak.

so how about this Paul, as I find that although data comes down quickly enough when a large file, browsing is still very slow as it is making lots of separate requests - for each image etc of the page.

TIA

Guest FragMeister
Using which settings?

P

I am still on the standard t-mobile connection albeit using the 4.2.2.1/2 dns lookups.

I don't know whether my problems are due to being in an area of imperfect 3G signal or their bad net pipe.

Are you able to offer a "trial" username for the "plus" proxy so that I can sample what I would get by going for the plus membership. I understand if this isn't feasible due to administration overheads.

Guest dskeeles

Has anyone noticed any bandwidth throttling on T-Mobile yet?

I've been streaming video on WnW - not strictly permitted, but occasionally it drops the WiFi connection without me noticing - and found that the bandwidth starts off in HSDPA territory (600kbps or 1.4Mbps), but doesn't sustain it, and eventually can lead to buffering 2-3 times a minute for even a 200kbps stream. This is all in a good 3G coverage area.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does it look like throttling, or just a poorly-optimised network? Is anyone else getting good Video-streaming results, on any package?

[d]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Christopher Woods
Has anyone noticed any bandwidth throttling on T-Mobile yet?

I've been streaming video on WnW - not strictly permitted, but occasionally it drops the WiFi connection without me noticing - and found that the bandwidth starts off in HSDPA territory (600kbps or 1.4Mbps), but doesn't sustain it, and eventually can lead to buffering 2-3 times a minute for even a 200kbps stream. This is all in a good 3G coverage area.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does it look like throttling, or just a poorly-optimised network? Is anyone else getting good Video-streaming results, on any package?

[d]

I've noticed this on WnW in the centre of Brum on my Vario 2 (which I'm using now, for what it's worth) - looks more like a poorly configured network more than anything else. Definitely worse when in transit (on the bus for example) but that's probably due to the hsdpa connection having trouble given the amount of tall buildings obfuscating the signal. T-Mobile never said I'd get a great signal in Brum (mad but true) but it's usually ok when I'm (moderately) stationary.

Probably what annoys me more is their transparent proxy compressing ALL JPEGs (ala OnSpeed) to decrease their filesizes - good idea for GPRS, buta bit pointless for higher speed 3G connections. It even does it if you're going via wireless modem, images on web sites look HORRIBLE and compressed, squished right down to 35 % quality.

Edited by Christopher Woods

Definitely worse when in transit (on the bus for example) but that's probably due to the hsdpa connection having trouble given the amount of tall buildings obfuscating the signal.

Speeds are always slower than the maximum when moving aren't they?

Hi all!

I have been following this thread, and others on other forums, and would like to make some observations!

Firstly, all internet access settings must surely be dependant on the data com settings which in their turn will be "accepable" or not by the operater you may be using at the time. A data account will set the access parameters of the operater and will only give limited scope for fine tuning. In the case of T-mob the required settings are basic only the APN being required! I don't know of any input of IP or DNS setting in the data com profile that makes any difference!

Secondly, all other settings determine how the various operating systems (on phone, PC, laptop etc) and the differing software apps access the the data com profile. This seems to be where the major improvements can be had! These settings (DNS and proxy) would appear to be "controlled" in varying degrees by the network operater that you are using at the time. They don't necessarily have our need for speed at the top of their list of service requirements. And so we experiment with settings as this thread attests.

Thirdly, when testing should we not use a vanilla data com profile and do all experiments from a PC/laptop connected by, say, Bluetooth. This would give a "clean" data com pipe for comparative assessment of the changes made? One could change DNS, PPP, and WINS settings and see the results. I appreciate that this will not test any phone dependant software settings, but it will give comparisons to point in the right direction.

I am using 4.2.2.1/4.2.2.2 as DNS, No WINS with all PPP and other protocols off and no proxy. I get near 100% 3G stability with either Bluetooth or cable connect and acceptably quick resolution of the internet. My only problem is with large downloads "bombing out" before completion. All this is on my laptop.

On my phone I use HTTP mode, proxy enabled for 149.254.201.132/8080. I don't have problems accessing any site or email services.

I have used XDA IIs and Exec any would never use any wap settings. The operaters normal internet portals work just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Little Master
With regards the jpg compression issue, I just found this from a link in a Register article. I can't try it myself at the moment but it sounds very interesting.

Tried this on my T-Mob Vario II. I tried adding and also changing the user agent entirely but it doesn't work.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest pd.ryder
Ahhh... THAT bubble.

T-Mobile is the network.

Click the 'G' (or 'U') instead of the signal meter :D

P

I don't get a 'U' - I get a '3G' :)

Does that mean mine's better than yours? (3x better :D )

Seriously tho, this thread has gone quiet since 10th Dec last year. Does this mean its all up and running hitch-free? Obviously I can't (yet) check out the thread on Plus, but can someone give an update as to whether the speed improvements have been maintained and everything works as it should?

I've only just done the O to T shuffle (and GPRS to HSDPA upgrade) and, to be honest, I'm finding the speed to be really quick. If there's room for improvement - I'm up for it.

I have noticed that I've had connection problems (3G & GPRS) to T in the middle of the night (I have to work nights sometimes) and can't understand why this would be when, presumably, their servers are used much less. I have often found PIE hanging at 'Locating' for hours.

The other thing that has been discussed here that I can't understand, is why would making changes to the 3G/GPRS connection interfere with a wi-fi connection? This is probably me being a little bit dim, but surely all the wi-fi does is make a wire-free connection to my house wi-fi BB modem, rather like using PassThu via USB and ActiveSync?

Edited by pd.ryder

• 1 month later...