High capacity battery?

Guest peekbee

I hate people who do this, but I am going to anyway...

I haven't read the article in question, but does the fact that 3g uses 2.5 x the power of 2.g matter if the connection is active for less than half the time because of increased data transfer speeds? Not as relevant to calls, but surely important for data? ie is the data about power consumption per unit of time transmitting/receiving or power consumption per unit of data transferred?

The way WM5 handles the connection, it just leaves it connected even if nothing's using it. I could imagine this involves a lot of pinging to keep the connection alive so it could be the transmit/receive circuit is active even if no user data is being transferred. Thinking about it, this must be the case as the handset knows when it has a live 3G or GPRS connection.

Just to update those with battery issues, I now run with incoming beams off and manual use of the 3G for checking mail and web browsing, and I'm on 70% battery since 10pm last night. It sat in standby all night (ie not powered down) and I've been playing with bluetooth a bit, quite a few email, about 30 mins or so web+RSS. I've gone from being grumpy about how crap the battery life was to being pretty damn happy.

Guest Whitster
Just to update those with battery issues, I now run with incoming beams off and manual use of the 3G for checking mail and web browsing, and I'm on 70% battery since 10pm last night. It sat in standby all night (ie not powered down) and I've been playing with bluetooth a bit, quite a few email, about 30 mins or so web+RSS. I've gone from being grumpy about how crap the battery life was to being pretty damn happy.

How do you mean manual use of 3G for emails? Do you mean manually downloading emails rather than automatic set up or having it so that it only connects to 3G when its checking for emails?

I turned off recieve all incoming beams and it seemed to help a lot.

How do you mean manual use of 3G for emails? Do you mean manually downloading emails rather than automatic set up or having it so that it only connects to 3G when its checking for emails?]

the former. I don`tknow if the latter is possible .

Guest richard_d
I've just switched off IR beams...

Sreen brightness isnt too high either... How bright are all your screens?

About 80% on battery power, full on external. Set to switch off backlight after 1min on battery.

Guest Powersup

Now I've incoming beams off and I switched to 2G only (thanks jeremymacmull). Everything else is as it was with 3G (Push e-mail on, brightness @80% and backlight is switched off after 1 min). With 3G the battery was almost empty after 18h, now I had to reload not until 50h :(

Before this I tried with incoming beams off and 3G and I did reach not even 20h.

Now it seems that 3G is sucking my battery faster than I can reload :rolleyes: . So how can it be that some Vario2 have more than 48h with 3G and Push E-Mail? Do some of the Vario2 have a faulty battery although?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest CryBayBee
Now I've incoming beams off and I switched to 2G only (thanks jeremymacmull). Everything else is as it was with 3G (Push e-mail on, brightness @80% and backlight is switched off after 1 min). With 3G the battery was almost empty after 18h, now I had to reload not until 50h :D

Before this I tried with incoming beams off and 3G and I did reach not even 20h.

Now it seems that 3G is sucking my battery faster than I can reload :) . So how can it be that some Vario2 have more than 48h with 3G and Push E-Mail? Do some of the Vario2 have a faulty battery although?

Battery life on my phone started playing up about 3 days ago - would have it charging all night then it would die by the middle of the day - then if at work, would stick in the USB cable. Not really doing any heavy surfing on the net. Only actively downloading about 10K of emails every 15 mins and perhaps a couple of calls which would be about 30 mins in total. Was told that I shouldn't use the USB cable to charge the phone everyday as that would drain the battery! I said I don't charge the phone often with it as I only have it plugged in usually for synching purposes (and in any case unless I'm being silly I thought you could charge with the cable???) and that as the unit sounds faulty they are sending someone Friday to swap the phone for a new one. Previously had the notifications/alarm problem and also the screen freezing occasionally having to soft reset.

Guest MikeWard1701

Hi folks, any news on a high capacity battery yet?

Don't know whether I'm lucky or nt but I dont seem to have many battery problems, and I have WiFi and 3G always connected, though i do ave IR and BT turned off and my backlight on battery is set to about 40%.

The only times i notice considerable drain is when listeing to music or streaming radio via WiFi/3G.

Mike

PS: Is there a way to subscribe to theads without posting a reply frst?

Guest danktuft
I would like to know if there is an update too on the high capacity battery thing.

and on the keeping up with posts without replying to them

Jeremy

I use the 'Track This Topic' option under, er, Options at the top of the thread.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Spunkyboy
This has happened again. Came upstairs at 12.30am and unplugged the phone on the way up. It was fully charged. Down to 60% now, the only app running is Activesync. I don't know about you lot but I don't leave the house without a USB cable so I can top up during the day, I don't think the battery would last a working day without a top up. :)

I bet yr battery is fine. I suspect Activesync is the prob as I've read a similar prob elsewhere. it is probably trying to automatically reconnect every few mins draining the battery.

You will need to go into activesync on your Vario and delete the schedule (menu/schedule). If this is greyed out you need to add a dummy server (menu/configure server). just type any old numbers in eg. 1.1.1.1 and any pw etc. you should then be able to access the schedule and change to manual rather than auto every x mins. Hope that helps you dude.

Guest Spunkyboy
This has happened again. Came upstairs at 12.30am and unplugged the phone on the way up. It was fully charged. Down to 60% now, the only app running is Activesync. I don't know about you lot but I don't leave the house without a USB cable so I can top up during the day, I don't think the battery would last a working day without a top up. :)

I bet yr battery is fine. I suspect Activesync is the prob as I've read a similar prob elsewhere. it is probably trying to automatically reconnect every few mins draining the battery.

You will need to go into activesync on your Vario and delete the schedule (menu/schedule). If this is greyed out you need to add a dummy server (menu/configure server). just type any old numbers in eg. 1.1.1.1 and any pw etc. you should then be able to access the schedule and change to manual rather than auto every x mins. Hope that helps you dude.

• 2 months later...
Guest delmarko

This site are advertising two batteries suitable for the Hermes, one of which looks like its the same dimensions as the original.... mind you, you only get 1500mAh!

http://www.lionbattery.com/description.php?noproduit=319

There appears to be a large capacity battery as well, but that means a thicker device although the picture isn't particularly clear in showing you exactly how thick!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dr Who
This site are advertising two batteries suitable for the Hermes, one of which looks like its the same dimensions as the original.... mind you, you only get 1500mAh!

http://www.lionbattery.com/description.php?noproduit=319

There appears to be a large capacity battery as well, but that means a thicker device although the picture isn't particularly clear in showing you exactly how thick!

I really need to get a slightly higher capacity battery. I tend to cane mine about an hour before I get home, which is annoying, so a 15% increase over the 1350mAh would be fine. Only just turned off receive incoming beams though.

Guest martinwilliams999
What about this one?2400mAh Battery - Ebay

It doesn't mention needing a different battery cover, and fits all those models including hermes. What you reckon?

I emailed supergps-uk about this battery last week.

Although not mentioned in the advert, it DOES use a replacement back, adding, I quote "2-3mm" onto the thickness of the phone.

I think I'll wait until someone comes up with a powerful unit that fits in the existing battery bay.

Martin

• 1 month later...
Guest mattyduk

I've just moved over from a vario to a vario II, and was surprised at how quickly my phone's battery was dropping over the weekend when in standby.

I have now switched 3g off (which is ironic as that's the main reason I upgraded!!), and the battery life is massively improved. I even made a call yesterday and did some wi-fi newsbreak browsing and the battery life was still fine.