I got HSDPA added to my account

Guest TheVoiceofJericho

I Still can't get it added, even tried via email, still the same line, although the last person I spoke to in CS said I don't spend enough with T-mobile, not sure how much that's true cause it does seem quit random who gets and who doesn't.

Guest cipher692000

I managed to get HSPDA added to my account last month and I was given some useful info by the CS rep, a really helpfull Weslh chap. After a lot of back and forth between him and the tech dept he finally told me that a lot of the CS reps and tech team staff won't add HSPDA onto standard WnW as it's a historical issue whereby the only devices prior to the MDA II capable of using HSPDA were data cards for which you needed WnW Pro.

It would appear that Tmob have not changed their systems to relect this fact and if they try to add it onto your WnW standard account they assume that you must be wanting to use a data card and therefore need WnW pro.

If you call again and get the WnW pro line again it might be worthwhile mentioning this to the CS rep and also push the point that you have purchased a HSPDA capable phone from them and would like to use the function as advertised.

C.

Edited by cipher692000

Guest nav007_2000

Has anyone managed to get HSDPA enable for free in the last few days. I spoke to technical support who told me that there was a problem on their systems and they accidently gave out hsdpa for free to people when they shouldn't have and they accept that they made a mistake and couldn't do anything about it.

I guess I'm gonna have to try again.

Has anyone managed to get HSDPA enable for free in the last few days. I spoke to technical support who told me that there was a problem on their systems and they accidently gave out hsdpa for free to people when they shouldn't have and they accept that they made a mistake and couldn't do anything about it.

I guess I'm gonna have to try again.

I did friday.....see my post above

but i figure the days are numbered!

Guest MikeWard1701

Hi folks, getting my Vario II tomorrow. Can't wait... :rolleyes: :(

Lots of useful info here for when I call CS, What should I say to them?

My initial plan is to call up complaining of the speed, ask for HSDPA to be added, if they give me the WnW Pro line I'd mention that it says nothing about requiing a WnW Pro subscription in their literature and that they're selling a phone with functions that cannot be used.

What EXACTLY do I need to say/ask about the DNS servers? I'm not well versed on internet hardware.

If I don't get anywhere wth them I'll keep trying and if all else fails I'll pull the loyalty string, stating that I only stayed with T-Mobile and bought this handset specifically for this service and that i intend to cancel.

Mike

Guest Christopher Woods

When I registered on My T-Mobile, I registered as a small business user - so maybe that helped my case when I rang up up to get HSDPA enabled. I rang of an evening about two days after I first got the phone, I had several queries for the CS rep, and I left HSDPA last - he said, "one minute I'll transfer you to a technician who can help you." Quick wait, straight through to a guy who really knew his stuff (a proper tech!) and he advised me that he'd enabled HSDPA on my account and I should wait for about 10 minutes for the QoS update to propagate across the system, then to soft reset my phone so it would grab the updated settings.

Did as he said, bingo: worked instantly.

For those who are complaining about HSDPA being less than 1.3mbps, the T-Mobile tech also explained how HSDPA works - imagine a mesh network. HSDPA relies on the fact that you're in the proximity of more than one base station - the downlink speed remains the same from each base station, but the phone connects to more than one base station in order to achieve the higher (multiplexed) downlink speeds. So, if you're out in the sticks, and only have one network base station near you, you'll only get around 600-800kbps on average (although this is rule of thumb, you might get faster speeds if there's less contention).

I've had a very confusing time on this subject of late. I got my V2 in August and having read much of this forum did a dsl test and assumed HSDPA was automatically enabled on my standard WnW given I had results of 800-900kb/s. Recently I had problems connecting and eventually phoned up to complain. I thought I'd check with the bloke whether HSDPA was on my account and was told that it wasn't, nor was it available unless I upgraded to WnW plus. I kicked up a fuss and told them that I only came to T-mobile to use this service and I would have gone for the old school 9.99 pro option if I'd known. Since he could no longer offer me that he enabled my account with HSDPA and had a replacement handset with me by the next morning.

T-mob business support I have to say have so far been just that... the business. He did however say that there had been a mistake and lots of people had had this added to their account before CS staff had been properly briefed. Good for us lucky ones... bad news for anyone still trying...

Guest MikeWard1701

Strange

After getting my VarioII today I was preparing myself for the daunting task of calling CS about the HSDPA, when I went onto My T-Mobile and delved around I found this in the 'Features of your price plan' page.

post-211903-1162932613_thumb.jpg

Has it been added and enabled as standard now? Or is this some kind of imposter?!

I'm asking as the speeds I get when using the net at home are slow, T-Mobile say I'm in a poor-fair 3G coverage area, but I get 4 bars on the icon in the taskbar (along with a big and little G).

Will post back with speeds from DSL reports.

Mike

Guest Christopher Woods

Mine definitely says something different from that (think it's High-Speed Upload or something including words like that), I've noticed newer customers have a different entry (as yours says, the speeds look right for HSDPA though, mine says something like High-Speed 384kbps uplink but as for some reason my T-Mobile online account is locked out 'we cannot access that account, please dial 150...', I can't doublecheck... Grr).

The way HSDPA works is that it pulls parts of the data from multiple masts around you (think mesh network) so if you have poor coverage or only one mast near you, you'll get gobshite speeds.

I had blazing speeds in London, Brum is so-so (depends on the time of day, but they never said I'd have great 3G reception around here anyway so I'm not too bothered).

Guest ElBaron

Ok, how things are from a CS point of view.

As of Oct 1st its NOT available on web'n'walk it's only available on web'n'walk plus or pro, people shouldn't be adding it to accounts but as most of you are probably aware now most people in cs haven't got a clue about it as it's not really something that cs have been informed about.

There is still an option to add it seperatley however csa's aren't supposed to be adding it.

In a nutshell if you've got it on web'n'walk you're lucky and if you get it added your even luckier!. Hope this clears a few things up.

As a general rule for any customer service queries unless its urgent i'd recommend emailing in oppose to calling as a lot of the cs is being outsourced to india etc.

Guest ElBaron

As of Oct 1st its NOT available on web'n'walk it's only available on web'n'walk plus or pro, people shouldn't be adding it to accounts but as most of you are probably aware now most people in cs haven't got a clue about it as it's not really something that cs have been informed about.

There is still an option to add it seperatley however csa's aren't supposed to be adding it.

In a nutshell if you've got it on web'n'walk you're lucky and if you get it added your even luckier!. Hope this clears a few things up.

As a general rule for any customer service queries unless its urgent i'd recommend emailing in oppose to calling as a lot of the cs is being outsourced to india etc.

Guest Christopher Woods

Ah crap, that's a damn shame for new customers. The India outsourcing thing is annoying too, here I was, new customer, great cust service up until now (all Scottish... Fine by me, they're in the UK and hell I'm a quarter Scottish so gwan fellow scots!) but to hear that T-Mobile is going the way of most banks and ISPs has pissed me off something fierce.

Guest Christopher Woods

Mine definitely says something different from that (think it's High-Speed Upload or something including words like that), I've noticed newer customers have a different entry (as yours says, the speeds look right for HSDPA though, mine says something like High-Speed 384kbps uplink but as for some reason my T-Mobile online account is locked out 'we cannot access that account, please dial 150...', I can't doublecheck... Grr).

The way HSDPA works is that it pulls parts of the data from multiple masts around you (think mesh network) so if you have poor coverage or only one mast near you, you'll get gobshite speeds.

I had blazing speeds in London, Brum is so-so (depends on the time of day, but they never said I'd have great 3G reception around here anyway so I'm not too bothered).

Guest jchamier

Ahh, another one locked out. Hmm, wonder if they've got issues. I'll probably try and call tomorrow from work and see what CS say. I noticed I have a different entry, think it says something along the lines of "HSDPA 2048/384 uplink", but as I can't log on I can't check!!

Guest Christopher Woods
Ahh, another one locked out. Hmm, wonder if they've got issues. I'll probably try and call tomorrow from work and see what CS say. I noticed I have a different entry, think it says something along the lines of "HSDPA 2048/384 uplink", but as I can't log on I can't check!!

When did you get locked out? Tonight was the first time I tried to sign in for a few days, not had this error before - only other time my account was locked was when my number was ported over from O2 so the number on the My T-Mobile account didn't match my new number, clever system huh :)

Guest Christopher Woods

Ok, in response to an earlier post, as my T-Mobile account is now unfrozen (must have been system maintenance or something), I went in and took a look at my account details... My T-Mobile account features DO look different: I don't have "Web & Wap 384k up/2048k down" in my 'Features of your price plan' section, mine looks like this:

tmobilefeatures.jpg

I have "Web & Wap Browse", but that's just standard 3G (and I think that was confirmed by the CS rep I spoke to when I rang up last time, because we were having a ferret around my account trying to figure out why I'd been charged an odd amount, turns out it's just their strange way of billing a month in advance for new customers). My HSDPA allowance shows up as a specific option in the 'Additional allowances and services' section:

tmobilehsdpa.jpg

I signed up on the 22nd of September this year (2006), only a couple of weeks before (unbeknownst to me) the WnW tariffs all did the Harlem shuffle and slightly changed their featuresets and price points. That could be why my account looks different, perhaps...

... There ain't no way I'm ringing up and pointing out that I have HSDPA on my account though and someone else who showed me their account page has a different setup, because they might realise that I have HSDPA on WnW basic and take it back again! :)

Does "international and premium calls" set to off mean you can't make any international or premium calls at ALL?

Edited by Christopher Woods

Guest MikeWard1701
Ok, in response to an earlier post, as my T-Mobile account is now unfrozen (must have been system maintenance or something), I went in and took a look at my account details... My T-Mobile account features DO look different: I don't have "Web & Wap 384k up/2048k down" in my 'Features of your price plan' section, mine looks like this:

tmobilefeatures.jpg

I have "Web & Wap Browse", but that's just standard 3G (and I think that was confirmed by the CS rep I spoke to when I rang up last time, because we were having a ferret around my account trying to figure out why I'd been charged an odd amount, turns out it's just their strange way of billing a month in advance for new customers). My HSDPA allowance shows up as a specific option in the 'Additional allowances and services' section:

tmobilehsdpa.jpg

I signed up on the 22nd of September this year (2006), only a couple of weeks before (unbeknownst to me) the WnW tariffs all did the Harlem shuffle and slightly changed their featuresets and price points. That could be why my account looks different, perhaps...

... There ain't no way I'm ringing up and pointing out that I have HSDPA on my account though and someone else who showed me their account page has a different setup, because they might realise that I have HSDPA on WnW basic and take it back again! :P

Does "international and premium calls" set to off mean you can't make any international or premium calls at ALL?

I'd be surprised if you're getting fast speeds as looking at your list; Web 'n' Browse, GPRS and 3G UMTS are all turned off. :)

As you've rightly said it may show up dfferent on some accounts rather than others depending on when eople sign up.

My internet browsing seems sluggish at times, and results from dslreports.com are encouraging.

BUT I tried downloading a file from my webspace http://www.studio1701.karoo.net/music/99.mp3

A 1.24MB mp3 downloaded to my Vario in 22 seconds!!!

So I dunnno whats up :D

Mike

Guest CryBayBee
post-120058-1158269051_thumb.jpg

:) Got mine added too! Lucky on this! - added first try @CS

Was :D (2 bars 3G)

Best reliable speed tester I found www.dslreports.com/mspeed

Your lucky. I've just called CS and then was put through to Tech Dept - whereby I was told they would need to call me back, as they were going to be charging £2.50 to add this on!

I'm waiting for T-Mob to call me back - and I hope they are not going to be charging!

Edited by CryBayBee

Guest leeclissett

after returning my previous vario II I just got my new one on Friday.

its a new contract,new account and new phone number.

I managed to get HSDPA added to my previous account with a bit of effort, however my new contract has come with HSDPA pre loaded. only difference is that it now shows up as "web & wap" rather than just 346kbps uplink.

I'm on flext wnw not one of the premium data packages. have tmo realised people want hsdpa or was mine a stroke of good luck?

Guest pkiddie
after returning my previous vario II I just got my new one on Friday.

its a new contract,new account and new phone number.

I managed to get HSDPA added to my previous account with a bit of effort, however my new contract has come with HSDPA pre loaded. only difference is that it now shows up as "web & wap" rather than just 346kbps uplink.

I'm on flext wnw not one of the premium data packages. have tmo realised people want hsdpa or was mine a stroke of good luck?

I've also just got a Vario II which after a few initial SIM registration struggles seems to be working like a treat - just checked my t-mobile about HSDPA and though it doesn't say it explicitly it does say

'Web & Wap 384k Up/2048 Down On None'

which I guess is the same thing? This is also on a flext web n walk standard tariff. Did a few speed tests and maximum I've seen is about 800kbit or so around the birmingham area so I guess I'm getting more than standard 3G speeds :)

Cheers,

Paul

Guest CryBayBee
Your lucky. I've just called CS and then was put through to Tech Dept - whereby I was told they would need to call me back, as they were going to be charging £2.50 to add this on!

I'm waiting for T-Mob to call me back - and I hope they are not going to be charging!

And as of today... I just spoke to CS who had spoken to someone in technical department, who said that even though I'm on Flext 50 and WnW Plus, I would need to change to the WnW price tariff to have the uplink! I'm fuming! Can anyone confirm that this is right?

Edited by CryBayBee

Guest CryBayBee
Well I do remember around the beginning of October they changed the tariffs, and slightly tweaked the featuresets of each...

Thanks for that Christopher Woods.

I think its really bad though that if you have taken out the options (and gone for Plus or Max) that they will not add this as a feature - considering you pay I think about £5 more a month than if you were on WnW package (but I didn't want the 18 month tie in both calls and internet).

Guest Christopher Woods
Thanks for that Christopher Woods.

I think its really bad though that if you have taken out the options (and gone for Plus or Max) that they will not add this as a feature - considering you pay I think about £5 more a month than if you were on WnW package (but I didn't want the 18 month tie in both calls and internet).

Just call me Christopher :)

I would make the case to them that as you're already paying more than a regular user would pay, and maybe (how much do you pay a month?) more than a WnW Pro user, you feel that you should be given the HSDPA allowance taking that into consideration. I would make my case the same way if I were in your situation.

... So how much do you pay a month?