post your hermes phone camera pics

Guest benzo

Guest richard_d
The Settings for the camera are stored in HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\Camera\General\MainCameraProperties - but weirdly, after changing the camera settings within the camera application the registry settings didn't change. I'm going to experiment with these settings and report back. Specifically I'll check whether changing the registry settings survives a soft reset...

Guest richard_d
agreed not appaling totally but nearly there

going from a k750i camera which i had there is such a big drop in quality considering they are both 2mpx cameras

k750i was about 300k for normal or 500k for fine mode for most shots (although this did vary)

and having seen what the n73 and K800i can do well htc have a lot to do to catch up camera quality wise. heck not to catch up to be in the same planetary alignment.

out of interest i find taking video at 320-240 much better than 352 -288 it seems a lot smoother and nicer. although when i play it on the computer media player classic insists that its only recorded at 15FPS. what FPS is the video at 320-240 recorded at and what quality of sound out of interest.

Also as regards to cool camera when looking at the site it does not really sound like much if any improvement when it comes to the video part i mean 640-480 by 5 fps is not usable and 320-240 with 12fps is less than the default software (admittedly these are the listings for the qteks200 or prophet) but ill wait and see

any idea when that comes out for the hermes

JEREMY

I agree it's no where near the N73 or K800i but when the sharpness/contrast issues are sorted it's on a par with the N70 for general shots, and the macro mode beats any 2mp camera phone I've seen hands down.

I haven't really played with the video mode yet - it doesn't seem a feature that any manufacturers take seriously, even the K800i's video footage is horrible.

Richard

The Settings for the camera are stored in HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\Camera\General\MainCameraProperties - but weirdly, after changing the camera settings within the camera application the registry settings didn't change. I'm going to experiment with these settings and report back. Specifically I'll check whether changing the registry settings survives a soft reset...

do those registry settings enable the sharpness setting to persist after a soft reset??

anyone tried it ??

JEREMY

Guest The Doctor
Looks like it was the Lamborghini Murcielago. Here are some more pictures taken today and which I think are much better quality:

oooo it was a murcielago after all! i stand corrected! :D will review the picture quality on a pc later or tomorrow.

phil

do those registry settings enable the sharpness setting to persist after a soft reset??

anyone tried it ??

JEREMY

No, unfortunately the registry settings don't survive a soft reset. In fact, they don't seem to have *any* effect on the camera settings!

Guest Kallisti
No, unfortunately the registry settings don't survive a soft reset. In fact, they don't seem to have *any* effect on the camera settings!

Just to go back to samples, some showing you how abysmal it can all get if you don't set it to average metering, and try to shoot outdoors. I've included them full size, don't see the point in comparing photos that have been shrunk:

1/ The (scary) rollercoaster at Hayling Island beach.. Not too bad - back to the sun, so it's pretty even lighting. The people are almost blob like though..

2/ Some macro fun.. It's got a really small depth of field - not much in focus here, but what is has come out OK...

3/ Grey, washed out, colours gone to pot. It was actaully a pretty sunny shot! I've no idea why it's so dull and lifeless.. The Spinnaker tower in Gunwharf keys/Portsmouth.

post-1648-1158315334_thumb.jpg

post-1648-1158315357_thumb.jpg

post-1648-1158315373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kallisti

Guest richard_d

Kallisti - it's the amount of sky that's caused metering problems on the shot of the Spinaker tower. For non-average light level shots (large expanse of sky, water etc.) it's worth playing with the exposure compensation at the bottom of the screen.

Richard

Kallisti - it's the amount of sky that's caused metering problems on the shot of the Spinaker tower. For non-average light level shots (large expanse of sky, water etc.) it's worth playing with the exposure compensation at the bottom of the screen.

Richard

I tend to take quite a lot of shots indoors (bars, etc). How do I optimise the settings for low light?

I've tried the night mode but it's crap, doesn't seem to do anything. Likewise the flash only seems to be effective if you're about two inches from the subject matter. :D

TIA

Guest richard_d
I tend to take quite a lot of shots indoors (bars, etc). How do I optimise the settings for low light?

I've tried the night mode but it's crap, doesn't seem to do anything. Likewise the flash only seems to be effective if you're about two inches from the subject matter. :D

TIA

The metering - shot wide will only improve things if the centre spot is much brighter/darker than the surroundings. Yes the flash is pretty weak. Setting the exposure compensation as high as it will go, dropping contrast to 1 and setting the white balance to incandescent (the bulb symbol) may help. Auto correct after the shot has been saved to my pictures may help a bit, but to be honest low light and this camera don't really go together.

Richard

i am attaching two pictures, one taken with my m3100 yesterday, one taken with my old e200 2 years ago or something...i really dont think the camera has done any major improvement during these 2 years except for the pixels...now thats pretty bad, but atleast the macro mode is alright :D

post-8324-1158311008_thumb.jpg

post-8324-1158311037_thumb.jpg

Edited by namiran

Guest Kallisti

Richard

I would agree if the problem was the exposure levels, but it's not, it's the colours. They've completely given up the ghost. The camera can't cope with major dynamic range, there's a banner that was red at the bottom, it's almost completely colourless..

it actaully seems to have got the light levels/contrast ok though

Guest Kallisti
i am attaching two pictures, one taken with my m3100 yesterday, one taken with my old e200 2 years ago or something...i really dont think the camera has done any major improvement during these 2 years except for the pixels...now thats pretty bad, but atleast the macro mode is alright :D

Umm, while the Hermes shot is isn't great (well, the shot is actually pretty nice, just that it's technical quality is awful), it's streets ahead of the washed out, blurry shot from the E200?

Edited by Kallisti

Guest richard_d
Umm, while the Hermes shot is isn't great (well, the shot is actually pretty nice, just that it's technical quality is awful), it's streets ahead of the washed out, blurry shot from the E200?

I agree - colour rendition is pretty good, resolution appalling but it's far better than the E200.

Richard

Guest richard_d

Has anyone tried setting the camera on a solid support and using the self-timer yet? Probably not practical for general use, but I wondered how sensitive the lens/button combination is to camera shake.

Richard

Plant based pwnage captured earlier this avo! Click to enlarge.

th_IMAGE_015-1.jpg

I'm actually rather pleased with the quality of the camera on here. I'll certainly be using it more often than on my old MDA Compact.

Edited by mike-oh

@Wills

Nice car pics, though did you take then with the camera at default or with the sharpness and contrast set to 1 as there still seems to be a an oversharpening effect.

Thanks Wam7,

The pics were taken with all the default settings.

Guest MPXtricky

Woaghhhhhhhh I just discovered (by accident) that pressing the scroll wheel in also takes pictures.

No doubt this information is written down somwhere in the manual.

Glad I found it though - I find it easier to use than the 'camera' button.

• 1 month later...
HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\Camera\General\MainCameraProperties

Is there no where in the registry when you can set the sharpening (and contrast) to 1 so that it survives a soft reset?

Guest richard_d
Is there no where in the registry when you can set the sharpening (and contrast) to 1 so that it survives a soft reset?

I'm still looking for a solution...

Asked on xda-developers and someone suggested converting to a file based registry but that's beyond me.