HSDPA

Guest TDK

Before I bought the MTeoR it was my understanding from the various reviews that I've read that the phone doesn't support HSDPA. However, after a couple of weeks using it I've realised that it must support it as I'm regularly getting 1.2Mbit/s with T-Mobile W&W?

Simon.

Edited by TDK

Well, all I can say is that when I performed a few speed tests on the phone yesterday it came back with results between 1.1 and 1.2Mbit/s, the same as when I ran the test on MDA Vario II!

My SIM is HSDPA enabled as I specifically requested it when I joined T-Mobile two weeks ago and purchased my MDA Vario II. The telesales person I was dealing with knew what I was talking about, which makes a nice change coming from Orange!

Simon.

Guest Pagemakers

Interesting. I just connected my laptop to my phone and just tried your test and I get 1.2Mbit/s and I am on W&W too.

On the other speed test I gave you above I get 215 & 331 which does appear more realistic (the test even looks more comprehensive whn you run it).

Nice try :D

Hmm, I wasn't trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes - I was just running the speedtest that others were running and was supprised to find I was getting the same speeds as my MDA Vario II. I guess the bandwidthplace speedtest isn't that reliable after all?! I'll have to do some more testing when I'm back in the London next week as I don't have 3G coverage here at home.

Simon.

Guest SecureGSM

DOPOD 595 ROM:

in \windows dir i have found:

SetHSDPA.exe

SetHSDPA_Disable.lnk ( 99#"SetHSDPA.exe" /Disable )

SetHSDPA_Enable.lnk ( 99#"SetHSDPA.exe" /Enable )

Now, after seeing these files in DOPOD 595 ROM I am not so sure about HTC Breeze does not support HSDPA anymore. I can not verify HSDPA status of my device since i do not have HSDPA available where I live yet.

UPDATE:

just noticed that SetHSDPA_Enable.lnk is also located in \windows\startup by default.

To me it is clear now that HTC Breeze supports HSDPA

Edited by SecureGSM

Come on Pagemakers, you know the rules with regard copyrighted files and rom sharing (for those who don't, it's not allowed to occur on MoDaCo)...

...besides which, TDK got the high speed with the MTeoR and doesn't mention installing any extra files and even you got a high speed returned by one of the test pages. If it works without why would you need the files?

Guest sporkguy
DOPOD 595 ROM:

in \windows dir i have found:

SetHSDPA.exe

SetHSDPA_Disable.lnk ( 99#"SetHSDPA.exe" /Disable )

SetHSDPA_Enable.lnk ( 99#"SetHSDPA.exe" /Enable )

Now, after seeing these files in DOPOD 595 ROM I am not so sure about HTC Breeze does not support HSDPA anymore. I can not verify HSDPA status of my device since i do not have HSDPA available where I live yet.

UPDATE:

just noticed that SetHSDPA_Enable.lnk is also located in \windows\startup by default.

To me it is clear now that HTC Breeze supports HSDPA

oh. my. god. :D

If this works, it could indeed add a lot of value to the devices people have already purchased, as I can see the 'patch' being leaked rather freely over at xda-devs.

Hmmm gonna keep my eye on this one, would be interesting to see what the result is for Tmob HSDPA customers.

oh and TDK: what result do you get at http://dslreports.com/mspeed ?

Guest Pagemakers

I've installed the files, but I'm not sure if they are running or not. 3G connection speed is as it was before (how do I know if I am in an HSDPA area)?

BYW, I think files installed in the /windows folder will auto-delete on re-boot.

Guest Thetechnogeek
I've installed the files, but I'm not sure if they are running or not. 3G connection speed is as it was before (how do I know if I am in an HSDPA area)?

BYW, I think files installed in the /windows folder will auto-delete on re-boot.

I installed the files too- I needed to remove the HSR attributes before I could see them on the phone. Like you, I could not tell if they were running, and I am not getting higher speed on T-mob 3G, but also have no idea how to tell i'm in a coverage area. Needless to say Tmob CS could not help- it took me long enough to get HSDPA enabled!

Ok, I've run a test using dslreports.com/mspeed and I'm getting approximately 394 kbit/sec, which I guess is about right. However, running the same test on my MDA Vario II I'm only getting around 183 kbit/sec, which is rather odd. I'll try it again later this morning or this afternoon and see if there's any change.

Another thing that occured to me... Pagemakers, how are you connecting you laptop to your phone? If you're using Bluetooth then don't forget that Bluetooth will limit you to a max throughput of about 721 kbps, so you won't be able to take full advantage of HSDPA.

Simon.

Ok, now I'm not sure what is going on - I just got 874 kbit/sec on the MTeoR and only 521 kbit/sec on the MDA Vario II. I think we need a more reliable speedtest than dslreports.com!

Simon.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Thetechnogeek
Thetechnogeek are you running the Dopod ROM?

I've tried it- works fine, stable, fast, but for me, no real advantage, as I don't live in an HSDPA enabled area, and for some strange reason, I prefer to run an ROM which "matches" my hardware (I have a Mteor). As far as I can see, there is little difference between the HTC ROM and the DOPOD one from a functional perspective except for the GPRS data app and HSPDA. The Dopod one of course has apps for the front cam which the Mteor does not have.

Personally I'm holding out for the updated HTC ROM (promised "any day now"). If that looks no better, I will use the Dopod one.

Actually, the main reason for sticking with the HTC one is that I don't have the enthusiasm to go thru the whole getting a new activation code from Tomtom (the Dopod ROM changes your device ID) when this ROM does not offer *that* many advantages.