WiFi (WLAN) using SPV M3100 & Orange Livebox

Guest tilum

Guest pd.ryder

Do these wi-fi hotspots in cafes and such like allow send/receive of email via Pocket Outlook? Or are they for internet access only? Mind you, many of them (inc T-Mobile via Starbucks) seem to cost a fortune when there's HSDPA/3G on tap anyway :)

Can one of you network gurus out there write us a "Wi-fi For Idiots" setup and how-to-use-it thread? I'm sure many of us Numpties would appreciate it :D

Guest hovering_yogi

Do these wi-fi hotspots in cafes and such like allow send/receive of email via Pocket Outlook? Or are they for internet access only? Mind you, many of them (inc T-Mobile via Starbucks) seem to cost a fortune when there's HSDPA/3G on tap anyway :D

When you connect to a hotspot then all you are doing is getting a connection to the internet, sometimes free, sometimes chargeable in which case your devices MAC address is authorised for access for the purchased time period. You can do any IP activity including email but remember for email that if you have an account such as tiscali that you won't be able to send emails while not connected to their network - receiving new mail shouldn't be an issue.

Can one of you network gurus out there write us a "Wi-fi For Idiots" setup and how-to-use-it thread? I'm sure many of us Numpties would appreciate it :D

Would be good but unfortunately that's not really me - hence me not being able to connect properly to my work network for some reason :)

Guest newtonmj

You guys having trouble might like to give Hitchhiker a try - it handles much of the potentially-tricky settings/config required for connecting to WiFi networks, particular ones you might find 'out and about'!

http://www.kasuei.com/hitchhiker/

Mathew

P.S. Someone mentioned WM2005 doesn't work with WPA? It's working fine here...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest eddscott

I've followed the instructions on this page to connect my M600 to my livebox. The M600 can now locate the livebox but when I use internet explorer it says "The page cannot be displayed. Check the name and try again". It was says it can't connect to the serve for my emails. The address is correct and email are all OK on GPRS.

I've also got hitchiker .4 beta and although it knows the livebox is there it can't complete the connection.

I've entered the IP addresses fine. My Livebox admin page shows the phone as being known to the livebox but at this point I'm stumped. Tried turning it off and on. Proxy servers are off but I can get no further.

Any ideas ;)

• 2 months later...
Guest idopod

Hi Tilum & all members,

My first post is to thank Tilum for your great "how to" guide. I've been having sooooo much hassle connecting my beloved pda [htc p3600] to my home wireless connection via livebox. But thats history now thanks to you :rolleyes:

I've just finished doing my happy dance :P

Cheers mate

• 7 months later...
Guest briant

Many thanks to everyone here. Using all this info I got my iPaq 5935 and my Livebox talking to each other without any problems :-)

Brian in France.

• 1 month later...
Guest htc touch user

Thanks Tilum. I am absolutely tech challenged. but your instructions are perfect. it solved my problem.

came to the site through google, and got lucky i guess.

i was so impressed, that i actually registered on the website and went through the whole register/validate thing just to say thank you.

• 3 months later...
Guest Phill Tucker

I feel like a right numpty as I have an Orange Livebox, Nokia E65 and an IPAQ (which both devices have wireless LAN); for months haven't been able to get them to connect. However, from reading through this thread, it occurred to me to press the pairing button at the bottom of the Livebox! LOL. Both my Nokia E65 and my IPAQ work perfectly!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest edwina
further to my last post.......have now been able to retrieve sites, use msn etc! a huge thank you to tilum I am eternally gratefull! Thanks also to this site which I stumbled upon accidently!

Well thanks to tilum for getting me close to being able to usr my M3100 (handed down from my son) with my livebox. Got connected fine but same message as twyds "page cannot be found". Can anyone solve this last part of the puzzle - how did twyds do it

• 3 weeks later...
All,

I meant to reply to my initial post with the solution to my problems sooner but have unfortunately been very busy and as such had not got round to doing it.

wblotting

My problem wasn't as easy to resolve as you might think. Please read on and hopefully it will solve your WLAN problem to.

Dr Who

Trust me I tried all sorts, including every single Authentication type i.e. Open, Shared, WPA, and WPA-SPK but still nothing worked! Thanks for your thoughts though.

mrnikt

"There is a little button at the bottom of LiveBox. I dont remember the english name of it BUT ... you have to push it once to set LiveBox in REGISTER mode. Its opposite to the RESET button on the other side of your LINE socket. Your wireless LED (it is for both Bluetooth and WiFi) will pulse-flash for 10-20 seconds. Only during this time you can pair successfully PDA / laptop with LiveBox."

The button on the Livebox you refer to is the button I was pressing to go into pairing mode, "1) I press the number '1' button on the Orange Livebox to put the Livebox into pairing mode and the WiFi LED changes from a constant red light to a flashing red light (i.e. Pairing Mode is active)."

I did actually manage to pair the devices, I just couldn't connect them!

jimbouk

I tried removing the settings from the Livebox and my device and started the pairing and connecting process that many times I lost count. I did get the message on my Today screen asking me to connect to my network, but when it tried to connect (by entering the WEP Security Key) it would accept the security code, but just not connect! P.S. I also tried removing the power suppply for greater than 30 seconds, but that didn't work either!

THE SOLUTION...

To all of those that have replied, thanks for your comments (hopefully these may well help someone with a similar WLAN problem), but the soultion to my problem came thanks to a guy in the Orange Wireless Help team (sorry I can't remember his name, but if you're reading this then you should know who you are!)....

1) Go into the 'Network Adaptors' tab using Start>Settings>'Connections' tab>Network Cards.

2) Ensure that 'The Internet' is selected in the "My network card connects to:" drop-down list.

3) Select the WiFi card from the hardware list below i.e. select "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible WiFi Ad..."

4) If your screen looks something like the picture below (i.e. contains letters as well as numbers in the IP address box) then this is where the problem lies!!!

post-205163-1158602967_thumb.jpg

Basically, either the device or the Livebox (not sure which) is not automatically assigning a correct IP address. To get round this you have to manually give the device a valid IP address to your network. Don't worry, you don't have to do this each time you want to connect, once you have done it once and it connects to your network, you can go back to using the the "Use server-assigned IP address" option, and it should then connect without any problems.

5) If you're using an Orange Livebox, then ensure that "WEP security only" is selected in the Configuration>Advanced>Wireless section of your Livebox. Presumably selecting the "WPA or WEP security" option would work as well, but I just followed the Orange guy's instructions.

6a) When in the WiFi card settings page (in the picture above), select 'Use specific IP address' option.

6b) Enter the following IP address 192.168.1.201. If you already have a wireless device e.g. PDA/laptop connected to your network, then you may well have to give your pocket PC a different IP address e.g. 192.168.1.202. Once you've entered the IP address the 'Subnet mask' field should then automatically be entered by the device. In the 'Default gateway' field type 192.168.1.1

6c) Now go to the 'Name Servers' tab and enter 192.168.1.1 You can igonre the rest of the fields in this tab.

6d) Press 'ok' and you should now get a message saying "The new settings will be applied the next time the adaptor is used...." Press 'ok' to get rid of the message.

7) Switch the WiFi receiver on your device on (using Comm Manager)

8) Now remove any previous settings you have assigned to your Network by pressing down on the name of your network in the 'Configure Wireless Networks' list (Start>Settings>'Connections' tab>Network Cards>'Wirelss' tab), and select "Remove Settings".

9) Now press the number '1' button on the Orange Livebox to put the Livebox into pairing mode (the WiFi LED on the Livebox changes from a constant red light to a flashing red light (i.e. Pairing Mode is active).

10) Now select your network from the list on your Pocket PC in order to alter the settings of your network connection on your Pocket PC:-

- Ensure "Connects to:" 'The Internet' is selected from the drop-down list.

- Go to the 'Network Key' tab (see picture below) and select "Authentication:" 'Open' from the drop-down list.

- Change "Data Encryption:" to 'WEP' from the drop-down list (if not already selected).

- Deselect the "The key is automatically provided" tick box and enter your 26 character WEP Security Key. N.B. depsite what you may be told in the Orange literature, this Security Key is NOT case sensitive.

post-205163-1158606772_thumb.jpg

- Now go to the '802.1x' tab, and ensure that the "Use IEEE 8-2.1x netowrk access control" is NOT selected.

- Now press 'ok' and you should return to the 'Configure Wireless Networks' screen.

11) Ensuring that you Livebox is still in Pairing mode (red wireless LED on Livebox is flashing, if not, re-perform step 9 (above)). If it is, then press down on the name of your network in the 'Configure Wireless Networks' list and select "Connect"... with a bit of luck your device should now FINALLY connect to your network!!!!!

Well that was a bal-ache to write! Hope it sorts out your problem wblotting. Let us know if it does/doesn't. If not, then drop usa a line and I'll try and talk you through it.

P.S. If that has worked, perform a soft reset of your Pocket PC and try and connect to your network again (you shouldn't need to enter the network key again). If it does connect, then select the "Use server-assigned IP address" option in the "IEEE 802.11b/g Compatible WiFi Ad..." settings and do a soft reset of your Pocket PC and trya and connect again, if that works, then heh presto!!!

Regards,

Tilum

Anyone(!!!!):

I've tried this, I am connected to the Livebox with my TYTNII, but Opera, youtube, IE, Minimozilla or anything else, won't connect to the internet....

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pd.ryder
Anyone(!!!!):

I've tried this, I am connected to the Livebox with my TYTNII, but Opera, youtube, IE, Minimozilla or anything else, won't connect to the internet....

Any ideas?

Try the phone itself - is it set to connect to "The Internet" or "Orange Internet" (which is your mobile 3G/GPRS)? Make sure its set to connect to "The Internet" - that way it seems to use any connection available. It works for me...

B)