Google Maps connect annoyance.

Guest Dr Who

I was just fiddling about with google maps as posted in this thread

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=240653&st=0

but I have hit a very annoying problem. Every time I zoom, move, do pretty much anything I get asked whether I want to connect.

The tutorial for connecting on a Wizard running the IBM J9 Midlet box of frogs would suggest it gave the option of can mobile gmaps use airtime, which I wasn't presented with/didn't see and I don't seem to be able to configure permanent access to the app, which is p*ss*ing me off and makes the whole thing unusable.

Guest richard_d

but I have hit a very annoying problem. Every time I zoom, move, do pretty much anything I get asked whether I want to connect.

The tutorial for connecting on a Wizard running the IBM J9 Midlet box of frogs would suggest it gave the option of can mobile gmaps use airtime, which I wasn't presented with/didn't see and I don't seem to be able to configure permanent access to the app, which is p*ss*ing me off and makes the whole thing unusable.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on - I was playing with Virtual Earth Mobile and it's so unresponsive you keep thinking the program has died...

There is currently no known solution for google maps with the pre-installed midlet manager.

It works better with J9 (only asks to connect once) but the fonts all seem to be too big on the version I downloaded.

MGMaps fares slightly better (again only on J9) but doesn't like it when you change orientation. Am planning to try Maps24 later, as just read about that on the register.

Bits and bobs about it on XDADevelopers and the google maps forum itself, but nothing very helpful - Google support actually emailed me back and said "Vario 2 is not supported at the moment".

Can't remember all the details, as I tried all this a week or so ago.

maps24 is actually quite good and responsive.

does not have the satellite imagery of virtual earth or google maps on the ppc version but the road maps work well and it relatively small.

though it does download a bit from the net but with wnw who cares.

out of interest I tried mgmaps and it asks to connect a million times so many times I gave up. What is T9 then that allows just the once? and how do I get to it install it etc?

Jeremy

Edited by Guest

J9 is a different Java Virtual Machine (the mechanism for running Java apps on a PPC).

It's the one made by IBM, so fairly reputable. Can't remember the link for it at the moment, but you should be able to google it.

You might also then need a registry hack to associate .jar files with it instead of the built in "Midlet manager JVM" otherwise it won't automatically use it for anything installed directly from the web.

There is currently no known solution for google maps with the pre-installed midlet manager.

It works, but do you mean there is no way to keep the internet connection permanently on? Garrrrr, its like having all my teeth pulled. Very slowly.

What is T9 then that allows just the once? and how do I get to it install it etc?

See here for information on the IBM 'J'9 Midlet Manager

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php...p;tb=1&pb=1

Edited by Dr Who

It works, but do you mean there is no way to keep the internet connection permanently on?

yep. 'Fraid so.

I know how you feel. It's simply not useable with the volume of connection messages you get.

Cheers for that link on J9 and opera mini quite good and i might even set up opera mini as it is a lot quicker on gprs due to the sheer lesser amount of stuff downloaded (although i have HSDPA here but usefull when im on the train)

JEREMY

Guest squiggs1982

I had this issue, but there is a thread on xda developers which shows how to fix the problem with the inbuilt midlet manager and set the security settings to "session" instead of "oneshot". Basically just installing a .cab and my google maps works like a dream now!

Guest richard_d
Cheers for that link on J9 and opera mini quite good and i might even set up opera mini as it is a lot quicker on gprs due to the sheer lesser amount of stuff downloaded (although i have HSDPA here but usefull when im on the train)

JEREMY

Opera Mini's pretty good on GPRS and I find for some sites it's quicker using the full web site on Opera Mini than the PDA version on PIE.

Just had a play with maps24 and first impressions are pretty good - even over GPRS.

Guest richard_d
Have any of you tried Virtual Earth Mobile ?

It is a native ppc program and therefore does not suffer from any Java strangeness

Tried it and found it completely unuseable with GPRS - and hardly responsive in 3G - could be wondeful when it's had a bit more work though...

I had this issue, but there is a thread on xda developers which shows how to fix the problem with the inbuilt midlet manager and set the security settings to "session" instead of "oneshot". Basically just installing a .cab and my google maps works like a dream now!

OK, I think I found the thread. Have you got this working on a Hermes squiggs?

EDIT - Confirmed, working on Hermes. Much better.

Edited by Dr Who

hi all

could you post a link to that thread for the oneshot to session thing I'd rather do that then install another java virtual midlet thing

and I would like opera mini and google maps working

Jeremy

hi all

could you post a link to that thread for the oneshot to session thing I'd rather do that then install another java virtual midlet thing

and I would like opera mini and google maps working

Jeremy

Being an off-modaco link I will PM it to you unless the Mods say I can post the link in the open forum.

thanks

i did not know you werent allowed to post links to other forums

i mean i knew about illegal content etc etc but other well respected not really competing forums!!?

JEREMY

thanks

i did not know you werent allowed to post links to other forums

i mean i knew about illegal content etc etc but other well respected not really competing forums!!?

JEREMY

Not sure, but would rather not post the direct link until OK'd by the Mods. Don't think this could be considered warez but does involve modifying a Windows file.

excellent! works like it should...

BTW - Had to re-install my midlets for the "session" option to appear

Guest richard_d
and me! Obviously I wasn't thorough enough with my research last time.

Well the oneshot to session change works well - Opera Mini is far more pleasurable to use.

As for Google maps, trying it in a GRRS area was painful - it eventually loaded the world map, but I couldn't get any further. I'll try it in a 3G area later.

Richard

Which version are people using of opera mini

i get 2.0 low memory working fine but the advanced or high memory just installs but crashes before i can click yes to the EULA and i never get further than that

Not that i can see a difference between the two really and the low memory one is really very fast in GPRS areas and things fit better on the screen than in PIE (even when set to one column mode)

I want it really for when im on the train with only GPRS or for pages that just dont look right in PIE (which is not many to be fair) (digitalspy.co.uk is the main one i can think of)

JEREMY

Guest richard_d
Which version are people using of opera mini

i get 2.0 low memory working fine but the advanced or high memory just installs but crashes before i can click yes to the EULA and i never get further than that

Not that i can see a difference between the two really and the low memory one is really very fast in GPRS areas and things fit better on the screen than in PIE (even when set to one column mode)

I want it really for when im on the train with only GPRS or for pages that just dont look right in PIE (which is not many to be fair) (digitalspy.co.uk is the main one i can think of)

JEREMY

High memory and it installed without a problem - I didn't do anything special... Don't know what to suggest.

Richard