StrTrk is poor quality - and I don't mean William Shatners' wooden acting!

Guest fluffcat1

Guest fluffcat1

I've had my Qtek 8500 for about 3 months. I put a screen protector on the inner and outer displays when it arrived ( I cut them to size myself from a template.) I even bought a sillicone casing that didn't let the phone close properly - but I didn't use it. I'd like to think I'm careful handling my phones but I'm not anal about putting them back in there casing or putting stuff on top of them etc.

After nearly 12 months of usage my sp5m only has a nick on the aeriel cover and 1 on the battery cover. No marks to the screen despite no screen protector and going into my pocket without a case.

After just 3 months however, the 8500 is starting to look rough. Hasn't been dropped or abused but has been dissassembled for educational purposes, and it just looks worn and older than it actually is.

And it squeeks when I open it. :D

The marks on the unit are more down to poor materials than any abuse or massive design flaw. Where the phone has been slipped into my back pocket - the chrome-effect ring around the camera has tarnished and worn so it is now showing the dull plastic base of the ring through.

The metal keypad overlay has started to loose some of it's rubberised characters and lift slightly - especially the start button. I thought it was dirt, scratched it with my fingernail and made it worse! :D

The real annoying thing is the screen. I thought my protector wasn't lined up properly or something as I could see a line around the edge so I peeled it off...the line is UNDER the plastic screen cover that has the mirror-type finish with the Qtek logo from the base of the screen surround.

I am trying to get a decent camera to pick this up as it doesn't show under flash photography. It looks as if there is water trapped underneath - but the edges are jagged not fluid so it isn't that. If I push down on the area as hard as I can it does not change shape as if it were lifting away from the base. The only way I can describe it is looking like the edge of a very old mirror where the reflective back coating under the glass has deteriorated.

And no, I didn't take the keypad off or the screen surround when dissassembling so it isn't down to me messing :D .

It looks really tatty now and it's spreading up the sides of the screen surround. From some angles it looks like there is dirt or something between the screen cover and the main black plastic of the flip put there is nothing in the joining edge between them!

I'm really dissappointed. I loved this phone. But it broke my heart...and it may have to go back under warranty to Germany.

If it's like this after 3 months what's it going to look like after a year?

I'll try and take some pictures in a bit. :D

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1

Guest Doomstalk

Can't look worse than my MPx200 did. It had dust under screen after 2 weeks. My only problem with my 8500 after 2 months is that the paint on the annodized aluminum battery cover comes off a bit easily. Other than that, it looks brand new.

I've mine a while now too and from a build quality POV 3 things pi$$ me off:

1. The hinge is no longer as tight as it was and I can only assume will keep getting worse (not squeeking yet though!).

2. The rubber-like material on the antenna section of the phone seems to be wearing away slowly :D

3. I hate the way the keypad marks the screen, I reckon this will eventually cause a permanent mark

I think this phone will have little resale value when its time to move on (samsung i600 is looking sweet if its not too big :D

l8r

gr

I think HTC have done well for a first stab at the form factor. Mine still looks perfect and I still get a number of compliments on it.

The key marking the screen thing really annoys me too, but like I said it is the first attempt at the form factor, so kudos for not making a complete lemon....

As for anyone who's phone is looking worse for wear, you must treat them quite badly!!!

Guest paholman
I think HTC have done well for a first stab at the form factor. Mine still looks perfect and I still get a number of compliments on it.

The key marking the screen thing really annoys me too, but like I said it is the first attempt at the form factor, so kudos for not making a complete lemon....

As for anyone who's phone is looking worse for wear, you must treat them quite badly!!!

I get the same markings on the screen but it is actually only a buildup of dirt from the keypad, so a wipe does actually get rid of it.

As for the condition, mine still looks new after 2.5 months.

I've hit other issues now though - See http://www.modaco.com/Qtek-8500-bugs-t242755.html

Edited by paholman

Guest fluffcat1

Err, not really, and as evdenced in my fiurst post, the sp5m I have still looks good after 12 months of me 'treating it quite badly'...

Although I sell replacement casings I've never needed one myself for any of my own phones before which should say a lot.

Richard

Guest Fredde87

My phone still looks brand new after 3 months of use. Not a singel mark, and I carry it in my pocket 24/7 without any case or screen protectors. The only thing I get is the marks on the screen from the keypad, but a quick wipe with some saliva and the arm of my sweeter and it is gone. I dont know how you manage to wear it so much...

My phone still looks brand new after 3 months of use. Not a singel mark, and I carry it in my pocket 24/7 without any case or screen protectors. The only thing I get is the marks on the screen from the keypad, but a quick wipe with some saliva and the arm of my sweeter and it is gone. I dont know how you manage to wear it so much...

I'm tempted to agree with fluffcat1. Mine is also looking rather tatty after only 3 months, particularly around the edges and the battery cover.

Guest Fredde87

I wonder how our phones can vary so much. I cant think of anything else I can do it wear it down more. The only marks I have are at the top corners when it is closed and at the bottom where the phone has worn due to having it in my pocket all the time.

Guest genaldar

Well I don't have a 8500 but I'd say that any product with such varied wear patterns could point to multiple suppliers and or little quality control. Course a year or so from now I'll still probably switch to the 8500 from my mpx 220 (what can I say I'm in no rush).