The official Virgin Mobile Lobster 700 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

i just thought i would add my two pence

I got my Lobster 700TV yesterday, i am a previous user of an SPV C500 and I am using this phone in place of my C550. For work I have an SPV M3100.

In terms of what this device has sacrificed, it doesn't have infrared however apart from that, feature wise it seems all up to spec.

I don't think that the size is too bulky and it is a lot better than the M3100 which i can't bear to carry around.

TV is a disappointment, quality is poor even in good reception, you can't have full screen landscape, and the picture always has an annoying WHITE bar above and below. It isn't an ideal replacement for anyone who uses a pocket telly and not all programmes are available on ITV or E4 (eg. lost, friends). they are replaced by rolling trailers until the next programme comes on. I imagine that it is to do with broadcast rights. The licence that must be aquired MUST be done via GPRS, pass through doesn't work (it does for other internet use, except "red button" services which also require GPRS) and you do get charged for the data.

DAB radio is very good. I am impressed.

On the whole i think it is a very good free phone on a sub

Edited by silid

Guest Paul (MVP)
Are these phone unlockable yet so I can put my t-mobile sim card in when I need to

As I have a spv c550 (as my 2nd phone) which is a windows device and I unlcoked myself

Not yet, no... but soon :rolleyes:

P

Guest ccsnet
Just to add to that, the 700 is DAB-IP and the Forseer is DVB-H - two totally different TV broadcasting standards.
That I did not know... I all ways asumed this was DVB-H.... Intresting...

Not necessarily... the first time I tried to watch BBC1 it still went online to acquire a licence, although of course that licence is 'free'.
If thats the case it wont be long untill there is a 'fix' like DRM out there then.... :rolleyes: ( Which been Windows based I'm thinking may be the case any way )

Terran

The licence that must be aquired MUST be done via GPRS, pass through doesn't work (it does for other internet use, except "red button" services which also require GPRS) and you do get charged for the data.

Charged to update the license!? Rediculous! :rolleyes:

Mine arrives on Friday, like you i'm replacing a C500, but I just don't feel excited about getting this phone!

Guest fluffcat1
Feel free to continue to ask me any questions here :)

Ok, well from the review I may give the handset a miss, but out of interest did you try a t-mobile sim?

Does Virgin still use t-mob's network identifier ( 234-04 or somesuch?)?

I remember older locked Virgin handsets would happily accept a one2one (as was) simcard as well as display the network name incorrectly when used with a virgin sim, but I've neither had a virgin handset nor t-mobile sim for many years... ( oh, porting out and back in as a new customer, those were the days... :rolleyes: )

Wonder what happens when the 10 year deal runs out eh? t-mobile have them over a barrel unless the subsequent network they go to can re-allocate capacity to virgin's identifier. Maybe Kam can help?... :(

Richard

Guest Paul (MVP)
Ok, well from the review I may give the handset a miss, but out of interest did you try a t-mobile sim?

Of course, in the name of testing :rolleyes:

It didn't work :(

P

Guest fluffcat1
I don't think you are charged for the GPRS to update the licence?

P

How so? Does it have a different APN / connection setup for licence purposes? Else how do they know what you're looking at and why you are connecting to not charge you?

Hackable methinks if so :rolleyes:

Richard

Guest looeee

Can you measure your disappointment? how does compare to e100 or c550?

and does the tv work with an adapter and your favourite pair of headphones/hifi?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Can you measure your disappointment? how does compare to e100 or c550?

and does the tv work with an adapter and your favourite pair of headphones/hifi?

I'm not as disappointed as either of those, because I have my Vario II to console myself, lol! I wanted it to be awesome, it's not (IMHO of course), but that's OK, because I didn't NEED it to be awesome.

I'm still interested to hear if others agree with my assessment of keypad + TV.

Will try my UltimateEars headphones tomorrow with an adaptor :rolleyes:

P

Guest WILBUR

the Virgin website says that "Watching TV is free for 90 days on Pay As You Go. BBC One is available until at least October 2007 and it's always free."

so does that mean you can watch BBC only on a non-virgin sim?

No - as I understand it if you don't pay the

Guest Dr Who

Me Wantee, but only if someone can get the TV service to work using a different operator. Am I correct in thinking that the signal is constantly broadcasting everywhere, i.e. is not streamed direct to the handset? If thats the case then I don't doubt that the security can and will be breached.

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's correct.

If you have 3G coverage where you are, you're much better off (IMHO) getting a Slingbox and SlingPlayer Mobile.

More channels, full screen mode, no monthly fee (other than a (recommended!) flat rate data charge)...

P

Guest Dr Who

Orb will have to suffice for me at the moment. I often seem to have problems starting the service and then have to reset Orb. Normally by the time I have got it working my 3G signal goes! I just wanted to get a 'weekend' phone that I can take out instead of my Vario II. Have to stick to my C500 or 550 instead.

Guest Dr Who

Cool and the gang! Might keep my eye out for special offers or ebay specials to get one on PAYG cheap. Don't suppose you will be parting company with yours will you Paul.........

Guest Paul (MVP)
Cool and the gang! Might keep my eye out for special offers or ebay specials to get one on PAYG cheap. Don't suppose you will be parting company with yours will you Paul.........

I'm gonna get it swapped today as it has a dead pixel (boo), and then i'm undecided.

Since I can get the full 200 quid back within 28 days, even if I don't decide to keep it, I won't be selling it cheeeeeep :rolleyes:

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

If you've used the 5 pounds credit on the SIM that's OK.

If you've opened the 20 quid top up, they'll knock 20 quid off your refund.

The megastore voucher... unknown!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's app locked, and i've not managed to get mine unlocked yet, despite trying everything I can think of!

P

Hi,

I'm due to pick one of these up next week.

Paul, do you know if it is application unlocked?

Thanks

Ian

Guest Jameselaprendi

Right, bear with me here because im new to Windows powered phones but im a quick learner so hit me with all the details and send me to where i need to go if my stuff gets too far off topic.

I just got this Lobster 700TV after having had the Nokia 6680 for a year.

FIRST QUESTION: In your opinion is this an step up or a sideways move in terms of capabilities? (A very vague question i know, maybe comparisons are not so straight forward when crossing the OS divide, or maybe you dont have experience of Symbian OS).

Im in a position to keep my 6680 so id thought id get this Windows Mobile to see what they can do and id have a bit of both worlds. The things i like to have on my phone are emulators, applications, games etc but im also a fairly heavy internet user on my mobile. I notice that Virgin have no such thing as a data tariff

SECOND QUESTION: What would you suggest my options are in terms of miniming data costs?

My next wondering is about the operating system. 'Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphones'. I notice a lot of software advertising that its for "Windows Mobile 5.0" but doesnt signify if its 'pocket pc' edition or 'pocket pc phone edition' compatible or in this case 'for smartphones' compatible. Some software has a version for "Windows Mobile 5" and a different version for "Smartphones".

THIRD QUESTION: What exactly is the different between the different Windows Mobile 5.0 and how does this effect the kind of software i'll be able to find?

I notice the resolution is 320 x 240 QVGA, and i also notice a lot of emulators such as ScummVM and Pocketdos do not currently have versions for this resolution. Although i noticed on some forums that in future updates this'll be supported.

FOURTH QUESTION: Is this resolution thing going to be a common problem for getting suitable software, is it a freak of the windows smartphone world?

FIFTH QUESTION: Does this phone or windows smartphones in general have Java (J2ME?) in the same way as Nokia Symbian phones do? Or are Java games just not going to happen on a phone like this?

SIXTH QUESTION: Can you point me in the direction or mention directly to me the kind of 'essential' software a Windows Mobile user should have. For example, Media players, Emulators, Task Managers, File Explorers, Web Browsers etc?

Basically i mainly want to know about software compatibility issues in relation to specific operating system, whether its classed as a smartphone or pocketpc, resolution issues, etc. Most of the otherstuff i think could be answered by a decent FAQ so if you could send me to one of those id be very grateful.

Edited by Jameselaprendi

Guest AaronSoup

In your review you mentioned it was locked to Virgin Mobile...

Just wondering, all t-mobile phones i've ever used have been able to work with a virgin sim, and vi-ve. Have you checked that T-Mobile sims definatly don't work? Also, if it does work, can you pick up radio/tv with it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.