The official Virgin Mobile Lobster 700 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest zim_zimmer

Thank you very much for your quick response... Think I'm gonna have to invest in one of these. I've never gone back to a normal phone after converting to Windows Mobile and finding out this phone runs on WM is just a massive bonus. Means a seamless transfer from using my XDA Mini S.

The DAB radio in the Lobster is gonna be the big draw for me, just being able to use that is superb... do you have to have the headphones supplied to act as the aerial or can you use any headphones plugged in as an aerial?? Just thinking as I already have a 2.5mm - 3.5mm converter and could plug in speakers if it doesn't need the headphones supplied?

Edited by zim_zimmer

• 1 month later...
Guest m.stephens

Just to point out that they seem to have given up any hope of ever charging for the TV service and it is free to everyone (including PAYG customers like me). Presumably it will stay this way until the end of the year - and the end of mobile TV as we know it. It will be interesting to see whether BBC1 runs on after Oct 2007 which was all that was ever promised.

Unfortunately, the licence renewal process is as unreliable as ever - as there are only 6000 people bothering to use TV apparently, it can hardly be due to the server being overloaded although essentially it does appear that the web downloads time-out. The answer is to just keep telling it to retry until you get fed up and then do a hard reset and say goodbye to anything not stored on the SIM or your micro SD card.

Also DAB does work in other countries which have it (e.g. Spain) should anyone be desperately interested.

• 1 month later...
Guest RhysJames2007

Seems this thread isnt really going anymore, im bored though. Im also new here. Ive had my Lobster for a while now and its proven to be a trusty companion (ive dropped it a few times and its still going). Its got an annoying dead pixel and the TV feature is pretty pathetic considering the size of the screen.

Also the styling isnt anything to sing and dance about, its quite the bus, and I dont understand what this huge screwiness on the side could possibly be for (it would be interesting to open up and find out) ;)

Nevertheless, tonight, my original Lobster headphones broke after such a long time. Im finding it VERY difficult to find an ideal replacement, so im currently using a normal set of headphones with an adaptor but Digital signal was much better with the original headset.

All in all this is a pretty decent phone, its a bit slow, the buttons are a bit small for my fingers, theyve been a bit harsh on the styling and the TV feature is pants, but the battery is okay and I think the DAB radio feature is terrific. The camera isnt too bad either for a 1.3mp.

Im quite happy with it at the moment because I bought it online at a reduced price for £50!!! So you cant go wrong!

This phone isnt really staying in service much anymore though is it, its had a short life, not for me though.

Guest zim_zimmer
Seems this thread isnt really going anymore, im bored though. Im also new here. Ive had my Lobster for a while now and its proven to be a trusty companion (ive dropped it a few times and its still going). Its got an annoying dead pixel and the TV feature is pretty pathetic considering the size of the screen.

Also the styling isnt anything to sing and dance about, its quite the bus, and I dont understand what this huge screwiness on the side could possibly be for (it would be interesting to open up and find out) ;)

Nevertheless, tonight, my original Lobster headphones broke after such a long time. Im finding it VERY difficult to find an ideal replacement, so im currently using a normal set of headphones with an adaptor but Digital signal was much better with the original headset.

All in all this is a pretty decent phone, its a bit slow, the buttons are a bit small for my fingers, theyve been a bit harsh on the styling and the TV feature is pants, but the battery is okay and I think the DAB radio feature is terrific. The camera isnt too bad either for a 1.3mp.

Im quite happy with it at the moment because I bought it online at a reduced price for £50!!! So you cant go wrong!

This phone isnt really staying in service much anymore though is it, its had a short life, not for me though.

Thanks for that review, it was quite useful!!

I think I'm gonna shy away from the Lobster now. The main reason for me getting it would be to listen to the DAB radio in the car as my reception on AM is dreadful for TalkSport!! I may just get a cheap portable one though to use in the car and go for a different phone.

My current phone is a Nokia N91 at the moment. I planned on using it aas a stop gap phone but I've kind of grown to like it!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.