Should i blow up my Windows Mobile 5.0 I-Mate Sp5?

Guest atlzbest25

Guest atlzbest25

I had an I-Mate SP3 to start with.

Slow but shockingly good in 2003 with hopes of a far better world with smartphones.

Anticipated Sp5. Bought it immediately when it came out..

..And after 1 year of owning it...Just want to throw it out the window..

To start with..

1. A clean Sp5 shows only 26MB of available Program Memory. Where did the 64MB Flash and 64MB ROM go?

2. Its 2 rings in actual before i see the Caller ID and hear a ringtone, maybe less slow depending on how slow the phone is at the time.

3. The processor is so slow i sometimes have to wait 4-5 secs after seeing the backlight on..an indication of an incoming SMS...4-5 secs till i finally get a notification there is an SMS now.

4. Scrolling through files is a nightmare, the browsing is slow.

5. Video recording/Picture snapping is as slow as in SP3 albeit a higher/better Camera..somewhat

6. Ive tried to find decent ways to free up phone memory so programs speed up...decent meaning i dont have tens of hours to Install .Net frameworks/Unlock apps/Tweakers every week. I am a busy professional and i need to find a quick and dirty solution without knowing the nitty gritty of how the OS is laid out.

7. There are tips here to reduce Sp5.bmp file sizes and delete unnecessary system files to free up memory..Why does it feel like the DOS 640K world again? This is supposed to be a SMARTphone.

...And Finally...maybe the concept is good but the current implementation and hopes for fast speedy phones after SP3 have simply been shattered.

I'm giving up on this phone and buying a Symbian!

Guest sporkguy
...hopes for fast speedy phones after SP3 have simply been shattered.

:rolleyes:

Symbian == much MUCH slower than Windows Mobile.

Guest thenext1
I had an I-Mate SP3 to start with.

Slow but shockingly good in 2003 with hopes of a far better world with smartphones.

Anticipated Sp5. Bought it immediately when it came out..

..And after 1 year of owning it...Just want to throw it out the window..

To start with..

1. A clean Sp5 shows only 26MB of available Program Memory. Where did the 64MB Flash and 64MB ROM go?

2. Its 2 rings in actual before i see the Caller ID and hear a ringtone, maybe less slow depending on how slow the phone is at the time.

3. The processor is so slow i sometimes have to wait 4-5 secs after seeing the backlight on..an indication of an incoming SMS...4-5 secs till i finally get a notification there is an SMS now.

4. Scrolling through files is a nightmare, the browsing is slow.

5. Video recording/Picture snapping is as slow as in SP3 albeit a higher/better Camera..somewhat

6. Ive tried to find decent ways to free up phone memory so programs speed up...decent meaning i dont have tens of hours to Install .Net frameworks/Unlock apps/Tweakers every week. I am a busy professional and i need to find a quick and dirty solution without knowing the nitty gritty of how the OS is laid out.

7. There are tips here to reduce Sp5.bmp file sizes and delete unnecessary system files to free up memory..Why does it feel like the DOS 640K world again? This is supposed to be a SMARTphone.

...And Finally...maybe the concept is good but the current implementation and hopes for fast speedy phones after SP3 have simply been shattered.

Rest assured that Symbian is way slower than windows mobile... it simply can't keep up!

Anyway you're not wrong. WM5 (or the SP5m) has so many drawbacks that i'm thinking of going back to normal camera phones.

The OS itself it's poorly optimized... games, even with complex graphics, run OK, but the OS is slow in all of its parts.

I can't think everyone has accepted having to continuously clear caches of browser programs, delete mails, etc., only to free up internal memory, during these 5 years of existence of windows smartphones.

And some bundled applications suck, Microsoft seems to have an approach as if everyone has free GPRS and that smartphone users are all businessmen.

For example you can't close msn mobile messenger, u have to kill it, and If you don't do it tries to "call back home" using up gprs traffic. The new Live mobile messenger BETA is even worse! It will use GPRS even if wifi it's available. And ALL programs miss important options (example: cache location in IE).

On point 3. it's because the messaging program has to start up for the 1st time, and it takes lots of time dunno why.

Guest duke_stix
Rest assured that Symbian is way slower than windows mobile... it simply can't keep up!

Anyway you're not wrong. WM5 (or the SP5m) has so many drawbacks that i'm thinking of going back to normal camera phones.

The OS itself it's poorly optimized... games, even with complex graphics, run OK, but the OS is slow in all of its parts.

I can't think everyone has accepted having to continuously clear caches of browser programs, delete mails, etc., only to free up internal memory, during these 5 years of existence of windows smartphones.

And some bundled applications suck, Microsoft seems to have an approach as if everyone has free GPRS and that smartphone users are all businessmen.

For example you can't close msn mobile messenger, u have to kill it, and If you don't do it tries to "call back home" using up gprs traffic. The new Live mobile messenger BETA is even worse! It will use GPRS even if wifi it's available. And ALL programs miss important options (example: cache location in IE).

On point 3. it's because the messaging program has to start up for the 1st time, and it takes lots of time dunno why.

hey

i know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

but there may be life in it yet!

use spv-services, set the cid to 1111111 and flash your sp5 with the vodafone v1240 rom.

it is WAY quicker than the i-mate sp5 rom, looks a lot nicer and yes, once you've opened the messaging menu once it is a lot quicker after that.

you could try overclocking it, but thats just a quick and cheap fix.

or better still, go and buy a pocketpc smartphone. they are really really good. my brother has the m600 and it's FANTASTIC! you can overclock it by just tapping a bar on the today screen and it flies!

symbian, nice phones, especially the n80. but if you thought the imate sp5 was slow, you're in for another shock!

just try flashing it with the vodafone rom, and see how it goes, but back up your stuff first of course!

the vodafone rom in my opinion is great! and there isnt much branding on it at all. in fact the only branding i can think of is the startup/shutdown screens and when you use the dialer, at the top theres a little bar with 'vodafone' written on it! that's all!

and yes, the sp5 is hideous at managing memory. just use the task manager that comes with the phone and close down the applications that are open regularly or invest in celetask!

good luck!

Guest atlzbest25

Duke,

I could try the Vodafone V1240 ROM.. Btw my phone is SIM Unlocked and is not Carrier Locked (It was bought from Dubai so does not have any carrier logos etc, im using it in Pakistan and works with different SIMs)

Could you post a simple procedure for it? I searched it around and there is a Vodafone AKU2 ROM ...Is that all i need to run?

Ok i am feeling a little less deprived now of the $$$ i spent on this phone so i'l barrade it a little less.

On point 3 with the SMS notifications, i send 10-15 SMS every day and i never KILL the Text Message program, just press the HOME key...and evey single time it's still the same..

FYI...i've even applied the AKU2 ROM Update, dont have any additional software/tweaks installed and its still the same!

Couple of more gripes...

8. Slow Boot up time (not that i do it every hour but its a pain nonetheless)

9. WHY O WHY isnt there a DECENT SMS backup software from MS ?! Nokia provides the entire SUITE with the PHONES !! The SMS backup with Nokia is a breeze, it's a nightmare with SMS softwares that wont sync (SmsBackup etc), JEYO Mobile Extender is unbelieveably slow and corrupted my phone somehow, after sync the phone profiles alternate between Normal <> Headset all the time. Put it on Silent and 5 minutes later it reverts back to Normal.

10. Why cant i have VIBRATE + INCREASING Ring tones ?

11. I did spend this weekend twinkering with the phone and there are 8 other languages and for each program, there are language specific files which are taking >4 MB of phone memory...WHY

12. Someone tell me where is the 64MB ROM and why doesnt it show up in System Information ? Why do they market 64 + 64 Memory if the ROM/OS is taking up 60% of each.

By Symbian, i meant those phones like 6230i (if it is symbian), I played around with one and surprisingly fast menus/video at 1/2 the price of the Sp5. Maybe it doesnt have all the bells and whistles like WIFI and Quad Band but i will happily give those up for a speedier phone now!

To be fair, i did have a N70 before for a short while and though its keys were small for my big hands, it was a little slow BUT atleast it never froze up randomly like this phone does!

Edited by atlzbest25

Guest derek_k
I think you will find that when you try other devices you will be running back to your SP5. :rolleyes:

I second that.

I've had my SP5 for about 8 months and I still don't think there's anything out there that compares. It's not perfect, but if you know what you're doing with memory management and don't install a whole bunch of crap then Windows Mobile provides the best power and flexibility to stability ratio as far as mobile devices go, imho.

Guest thenext1
hey

i know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

but there may be life in it yet!

use spv-services, set the cid to 1111111 and flash your sp5 with the vodafone v1240 rom.

it is WAY quicker than the i-mate sp5 rom, looks a lot nicer and yes, once you've opened the messaging menu once it is a lot quicker after that.

How can it look a lot nicer? Isn't it a WM5 rom? Is it aku2 or aku3?

Anyway the SMS app in my phone,too, is fast when u've already opened it.

The sensation is of a general slowness. For example, right after enabling bluetooth (not wifi), for 4-5 seconds the phone lags the s*** out of the hell, WHY? Other phones, even symbian, don't do that.

WHY going into a Start menu subfolder takes 3-4 seconds? And WHY returning to the upper folder takes even 5-6 secs?

FYI...i've even applied the AKU2 ROM Update, dont have any additional software/tweaks installed and its still the same!

The AKU2 update in my sp5m added more bugs than it removed.

Sometimes (increasingly now) the phone freezes while booting up.

WiFi management worsened... it switches on by itself after i've switched it off... and many times when it's turned on, the phone acts like its turned off (uses GPRS).

By Symbian, i meant those phones like 6230i (if it is symbian), I played around with one and surprisingly fast menus/video at 1/2 the price of the Sp5. Maybe it doesnt have all the bells and whistles like WIFI and Quad Band but i will happily give those up for a speedier phone now!
6230i isn't symbian, is a regular series 40. It's also got a ridiculous minuscule screen.

To be fair, i did have a N70 before for a short while and though its keys were small for my big hands, it was a little slow BUT atleast it never froze up randomly like this phone does!
you have been lucky.... Nokia usually releases phones when the software is at "beta" stage with plenty of bugs... WM phones don't have so many bugs when released.

Guest atlzbest25

I did Install the Vodafone V1240 ROM

And admiteddly it is a little bit faster than WM..Stable i dont know..i'll have to wait and see..

I also installed Tornado PowerControl 2.0b with Auto CPU clock speed and it does speed up things a lot by OCing the CPU to 228Mhz BUT it has resulted in random reboots!

My automatically profile switiching between Normal and Headset bug still continues.

Guest thenext1

Let's assume that I want to update my SP5M with the V1240 rom.

Has it got AKU 2.3? Why is it faster? How you can say that???

Can it be application-unlocket? Is it sim-lockedt?

Will the SP5m music-keys work after the update? I think not because the V1240 is a SP5 clone, not SP5M, which hasn't got music buttons... :rolleyes:

Guest duke_stix
Let's assume that I want to update my SP5M with the V1240 rom.

Has it got AKU 2.3? Why is it faster? How you can say that???

Can it be application-unlocket? Is it sim-lockedt?

Will the SP5m music-keys work after the update? I think not because the V1240 is a SP5 clone, not SP5M, which hasn't got music buttons... :rolleyes:

the only advantages that i noticed with the v1240 rom over the imate sp5 rom were:

1) the comm manager was a lot 'nicer looking' in the v1240 rom, its got exact same looking comm manger that the newer orange m600 has (my brother has this phone)

2) the vodafone rom was just generally a lot more responsive than the imate rom was, thats just more or less certain!

3) the vodafone rom had (when i'd shut down all applications) close to 25mb of ram free, if i remember right the imate had just under 20mb free. this might have had something to do with the fact i flashed it with the 'worldwide' rom which included a bunch of other languages i didnt need!

its difficult to really quantify, but my v1240 with the vodafone rom was just generally a lot more responsive than with the imate rom installed.

i dont think the vodafone rom would work with your sp5m, as, as you said, it has the the extra music buttons! the music buttons may just not work, or you might lead into other problems. best to look into it a bit more, perhaps somebody already has tried flashing an sp5m with a (equivalent) sp5 rom!

also, your pocket ie. regularly clean out the temporary files/history/cookies!

the only real gripe i have with the sp5 is the fact that it chews memory! but im trying to figure out a way to install a free version of celetask on my phone (as it is on the wm5 rom for the c500 of ronswens) so you can quite easily and quickly 'with the touch of a button' shut down all open applications/tasks/processes!

@'thenext1'

with regards to the wifi management. yes, it does do that. lol. why? because under power options in wifi, you probably have it to turn off with the lcd. hence, when the lcd is on, the wifi is on! you either have to tell it to turn the wifi off properly, by going into the comm manger, or you can put it into standy as your lcd does it!

Guest thenext1
1) the comm manager was a lot 'nicer looking' in the v1240 rom, its got exact same looking comm manger that the newer orange m600 has (my brother has this phone)

did you see the comm manager included in the AKU2.2 update for the sp5? its look has changed since the original rom, it's in a bluer tone and rthere are 7 selection keys in two columns instead of 4 and that gray steel look of the original rom one.

2) the vodafone rom was just generally a lot more responsive than the imate rom was, thats just more or less certain!
wonder why....

3) the vodafone rom had (when i'd shut down all applications) close to 25mb of ram free, if i remember right the imate had just under 20mb free. this might have had something to do with the fact i flashed it with the 'worldwide' rom which included a bunch of other languages i didnt need!
my SP5m, too, has 25mb of free memory at startup.... but after using up it a bit, especially WMP and other apps, you won't get the full 25mb after killing all the apps, even with celetask and its detailed process view.. but maybe 22mb, or sometimes even 18 or 17mb free.

also, your pocket ie. regularly clean out the temporary files/history/cookies!
also when clearing PIE cache, some times the phone enters a "limbo" state where it slows down like hell, PIE freezes (obviously), and you can just wait if it ends or reboot the phone.

with regards to the wifi management. yes, it does do that. lol. why? because under power options in wifi, you probably have it to turn off with the lcd. hence, when the lcd is on, the wifi is on! you either have to tell it to turn the wifi off properly, by going into the comm manger, or you can put it into standy as your lcd does it!
i do turn off the wifi with the comm manager!

but then the LCD turns off, and when I press a key on the phone, in addition to the screen backlight, it brings up the wifi thinking it was disabled because of the screen timeout!

Guest duke_stix
did you see the comm manager included in the AKU2.2 update for the sp5? its look has changed since the original rom, it's in a bluer tone and rthere are 7 selection keys in two columns instead of 4 and that gray steel look of the original rom one.

wonder why....

my SP5m, too, has 25mb of free memory at startup.... but after using up it a bit, especially WMP and other apps, you won't get the full 25mb after killing all the apps, even with celetask and its detailed process view.. but maybe 22mb, or sometimes even 18 or 17mb free.

also when clearing PIE cache, some times the phone enters a "limbo" state where it slows down like hell, PIE freezes (obviously), and you can just wait if it ends or reboot the phone.

but then the LCD turns off, and when I press a key on the phone, in addition to the screen backlight, it brings up the wifi thinking it was disabled because of the screen timeout!

the comm manager: well, on the imate update i used, which i believe was the latest, its in one of my other posts on here. well, that had the old style silver/grey comm manager, the vodafone is the newer blue one with the 7 buttons.

i dont know about the aku 2.2 update, but the vodafone rom states it has the aku 2 update on it. has there been a newer aku update recently?!

hmm, try this:

go to your wifi power settings set it to 'auto turn off wlan if no wlan or user activities after lcd off over' 30 SECONDS. and then power on the wifi, let it time out with the lcd, then 'wake up' the phone and see if it turns it back on.

then tell it not to turn off with lcd off, and turn on wifi, let it turn the lcd off, re-wake the phone, it should be on.

then, set it back to turn off after 30seconds with lcd, and manually turn off the wlan after. then re-wake the phone and see what it does!

it shouldnt turn the lan on again if you manually turn it off!

Guest duke_stix

wonder why....

the comm manager: well, on the imate update i used, which i believe was the latest, its in one of my other posts on here. well, that had the old style silver/grey comm manager, the vodafone is the newer blue one with the 7 buttons.

i dont know about the aku 2.2 update, but the vodafone rom states it has the aku 2 update on it. has there been a newer aku update recently?!

hmm, try this:

go to your wifi power settings set it to 'auto turn off wlan if no wlan or user activities after lcd off over' 30 SECONDS. and then power on the wifi, let it time out with the lcd, then 'wake up' the phone and see if it turns it back on.

then tell it not to turn off with lcd off, and turn on wifi, let it turn the lcd off, re-wake the phone, it should be on.

then, set it back to turn off after 30seconds with lcd, and manually turn off the wlan after. then re-wake the phone and see what it does!

Guest thenext1

with AKU2.2, i mean the latest update... unfortunately it's not AKU2.3 since it doesn't include the A2DP bluetooth profile, the newer start menu layout and other things and fixes.

hmm, try this:

I noticed also that a procedure like that solved a problem where the screen backlight would not dimmen automatically after 10 seconds, but stay on full intensity until the 1-minute-set timeout expired... thanks, will try this.

Guest duke_stix
with AKU2.2, i mean the latest update... unfortunately it's not AKU2.3 since it doesn't include the A2DP bluetooth profile, the newer start menu layout and other things and fixes.

I noticed also that a procedure like that solved a problem where the screen backlight would not dimmen automatically after 10 seconds, but stay on full intensity until the 1-minute-set timeout expired... thanks, will try this.

:rolleyes: happy to help!

go into the software section of the forums here, and download a program called 'tornado lowlight' its a great little app. what it does is just that!

it basically lowers the backlight to the 'dim' setting. the great thing is that the phone is perfectly useable esp in sunlight/outdoors with the app running and it definetly does save a hell of a lot of battery!

any idea when the aku 2.3 updates will be released for any sp5/8310 clone? the bluetooth thing seems interesting!

the only issue i have with my phone is you cant (as with nokias/samsungs) receive/send via bluetooth unless u install something like smart explorer!

Guest mutleyboy
the only issue i have with my phone is you cant (as with nokias/samsungs) receive/send via bluetooth unless u install something like smart explorer!

i thought you could now without using smart explorer, just by selecting beam in the menu options, it will then send by bluetooth if you have it turned on or search for infra-red if you dont

mind you it is a while since i had the v1240 so i could be wrong

Guest bbrockie

Hi there

I'm not sure how the iMate Sp5 runs compared to the Qtek 8310, but I'd guess it's only differences is between the ROM's. - Have you tried updating the ROM on your smartphone? :rolleyes:

No offence, but it sounds as though you have not been fiddling around with your phone all that much, by that I mean installing third party applications, homescreens, ringtones, etc., aswell as doing some registry tweaks. I'm at work right now so bare with me for the lack of urls, but these programs together will make a killer phone :(

Chronos Alarms - In my experience, one of the best alarm program made by Activekitten

Audio Notes - Create audio notes made by Vito Technology, Ltd.

AutoFlight - Turn off your phone, switch profiles etc. at given times, made by Cyberhorse Workshop

CoolCamera - In my opinion the best camera program out there, made by Ateksoft

RESCO Photo Viewer - A excellent photo viewer with album support, made by RESCO, Ltd.

Notepad Mobile - A fine texteditor, made by Orneta

PMRecorder - Record voicecalls automaticly, made by Personal Data Vault

Pocket Player - A excellent MP3 player, made by Conduits Technologies, Inc.

RESCO Explorer 2005 - The best file explorer for Smartphones/PocketPC's, made by RESCO, Ltd.

RESCO Radio - Listen to internet radio channels, made by RESCO, Ltd.

RESCO Registry Editor - Change registry keys on your smartphone to tweak it's power to the maximum! A real must have, made by RESCO, Ltd.

Tornado Power Control - Nice program which allows you to overclock your phone from 180Mhz to 228Mhz, made by Jurasa LCC (Search the forum for the url)

TCPMP - In my opinion the best movie player today, made by CoreCodec, Inc.

There are of course a bunch of extra nifty programs out there, too many to type here in my work time :)

Try going through the Useful Tweaks for SP5/SP5m/Tornado topic for a bunch of excellent registry tweaks.

One of the best tweaks I've made on my phone was the FileSystem speed tweak, which really made my menu's blitter as I scrolled through them. Unfortunaly I can't find it at the moment. I'll get back to you on it as soon as I do ;)

Guest bbrockie

Found it already! :(

Although I was too lazy to search the forums for my own topic on this, I did a quick Google search aswell as Copy&Edit&Paste :rolleyes:

3. Increase font cache

To increase the font cache, speeding up font rendering at the cost of a bit of memory:

HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit = 16384 (DWORD decimal)

To change it back to the default:

HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit = 8192 (DWORD decimal)

You can set the value to pretty much anything you like

4. Enable FileSystem cache

To enable the FileSystem cache, speeding up overall performance at the risk of the cache not being written on a sudden reset:

HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\EnableCache = 1 (DWORD decimal)

To disable again:

HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\EnableCache = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Note that by default, the cache size is zero, and you will see no effect. See "Increase FileSystem cache" to incease the cache size

5. Increase FileSystem cache

To increase the file system cache:

HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize = 4096 (DWORD decimal)

To return the file system cache to zero:

HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize = 0 (DWORD decimal)

6. Increase FileSystem filter cache

To enable the file system filter cache, speeding up overall performance with file mangement:

HKLM\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt\ReplStoreCacheSize = 4096 (DWORD decimal)

To return the file system filter cache to zero:

HKLM\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt\ReplStoreCacheSize = 0 (DWORD decimal)

I'm not going to take credit for this as that belongs to PPCSG's user mcnl6754. Check out his HP iPAQ RW6828 Tweaks article. Although the topic suggest tweaks for the iPAQ RW6828, most of them should work quite fine on your phone.

Guest thenext1
:rolleyes: happy to help!

go into the software section of the forums here, and download a program called 'tornado lowlight' its a great little app. what it does is just that!

it basically lowers the backlight to the 'dim' setting. the great thing is that the phone is perfectly useable esp in sunlight/outdoors with the app running and it definetly does save a hell of a lot of battery!

any idea when the aku 2.3 updates will be released for any sp5/8310 clone? the bluetooth thing seems interesting!

u can install the A2DP bluetooth thing even without AKU update, but it's beta software and may contain bugs, and it wouuld be better anyway to have the "official" package.

to the bluetooth send/receive, there was a problem in the first ROM, with the integrated filemanager hanging when sending things via bluetooth.

now I don't encounter any problems in sending and receiving BT from the majority of devices...

instead, I succeeded only ONE time sending a file via Infrared, and to a PPC 2002 handheld.

all other attempts to nokia phones and windows PC failed. :(

• 9 months later...
Guest satyab
u can install the A2DP bluetooth thing even without AKU update, but it's beta software and may contain bugs, and it wouuld be better anyway to have the "official" package.

Which software you are talking about for A2DP? Could you please elaborate as I want A2DP on my Sp5. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest PeacefulWarrior

I have used the registry to set tornado powercontrol to 255, 265, 275. Makes it a little faster. Rarely restarts by itself. And use autokeylock to save battery when i don't use the phone.