Universal speeds

Guest Ceilidh

Guest Ceilidh

Basically, having been using a non-smartphone for the past 7 months or so, I'm starting to miss the features that my old M2K had. I still have the M2K, but... I want to move away from Orange, so... looking at the MDA Pro or the Vario II on T-Mobile UK.

Basically, I have two issues: Size and data throughput speed.

I think it goes without saying that I'll be taking the unlimited WnW package, so amount of data transferred won't be a problem as such. I'm more concerned with the speed of the data transferral.

Basically, I want to be able to surf the web at a decent speed (given I'm used to 2mb ADSL at home) and be able to go on MSN Messenger and/or IRC. So not all THAT much data usage.

I know the Hermes has HSDPA (sp?) at 1.8mbps but I'm wondering what sort of speeds the Universal gets to? If it's around the 200kb/s+ mark I'll be fine with it...

Which brings me to my second issue. Keyboard size. I know the Universal's keyboard is bigger, and to be honest I'm inclined towards the Universal more than the Hermes because of that and the screen.

What do you guys think? Which would you go for in my situation?

Guest Jasonkruys
Basically, having been using a non-smartphone for the past 7 months or so, I'm starting to miss the features that my old M2K had. I still have the M2K, but... I want to move away from Orange, so... looking at the MDA Pro or the Vario II on T-Mobile UK.

Basically, I have two issues: Size and data throughput speed.

I think it goes without saying that I'll be taking the unlimited WnW package, so amount of data transferred won't be a problem as such. I'm more concerned with the speed of the data transferral.

Basically, I want to be able to surf the web at a decent speed (given I'm used to 2mb ADSL at home) and be able to go on MSN Messenger and/or IRC. So not all THAT much data usage.

I know the Hermes has HSDPA (sp?) at 1.8mbps but I'm wondering what sort of speeds the Universal gets to? If it's around the 200kb/s+ mark I'll be fine with it...

Which brings me to my second issue. Keyboard size. I know the Universal's keyboard is bigger, and to be honest I'm inclined towards the Universal more than the Hermes because of that and the screen.

What do you guys think? Which would you go for in my situation?

I believe 3G is up to 384kb/s

I am a Universal user, purely for the size of the screen, would never use a non-vga device now. The speed of 3G is plenty fast enough for web browsing, MSN, and the odd download/update of software. I use it on a daily basis, and using Opera Mobile (free with PLUS membership), I get perceptive speeds about the same as my old 512K broadband connection when browsing.

Guest matt1971

Hi,

I'll 2nd that comment.

I went from the M2k to the M5000 (Orange version of MDA Pro).

During the transition I put both side by side.

The hinge on the M5000 is all that is wider than on the M2000, difference in height is negligible. The thickness is a big difference - but thats the price to pay for a clamshell device.

The screens between the two couldnt be further apart. You'll never go back to a QVGA screen after seeing the VGA on the M5000. Using the hack to force into true-VGA furthers the difference.

Obviously the M2000 was 2.5G, and there are massive difference in download speeds in favour of the M5000 - you'll notice that its not as quick as your BB connection but for a mobile device its great.

Keyboards are another major difference - you can type at a good rate on the M5000, and due to WM5 use of soft keys can control the device purely from the keyboard if you want.

Have heard that a successor to the M5000 is being developed to reduce to size - this will be my next device provided they keep the VGA screen and equivalent keyboard....in fact gimme the VGA screen on the M3100 and might be persuaded as the keyboard is a good size.

Hope this helps.

Matt