The official i-mate SPL 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

So i'm back from Orange Partner Camp, and on my return there was a lovely parcel from FedEx waiting for me, containing a shiny shiny AKU3 sporting 12mm thick i-mate SPL!

Next week, I will be posting my review.

In advance of this, this thread is an opportunity for you to ask me anything at all about the device, and i'll try and answer it!

This is a fairly new idea, and i'm going to try and do this for every new device I get... so bear with me :rolleyes:

Enjoy! :(

P

spl1.gifspl2.gif

Hi Paul,

Its good to hear that you are running a review on the SPl. I have one ordered and I can't wait to get it. Looks like a nice looking slim line WM5 device. I just hope that the quality of the case etc will be up to it. I guess there has to be a little concern whenever i-mate changes supplier.

I currently have an SP5 and you might ask why change to this. Well, I just like the asthetics of this model, it will still work in the US and Far East so I can use on my travels. I never really used wi-fi so I will not miss it. Plus I like the fact that it will have AKU3 which reportedly includes a simple bass and treble adjustment in windows media player.

My questions would be:

How is the look and feel of the outer case,

Is there,in fact, bass and treble adjustment in WMP

Does it have excel and word with pdf viewer (most sites say that it does but not imate)

Thanks Paul and I look forward to reading your indepth review......

Guest Paul (MVP)
How is the look and feel of the outer case,
It looks and feels very solidly constructed.

The battery cover is made of metal, the main body of very tough, shiny, and reassuringly solid plastic.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the construction, although the miniUSB cover is a bit annoying. The keypad also takes some getting used to.

Is there,in fact, bass and treble adjustment in WMP

Not that I can find!

Does it have excel and word with pdf viewer (most sites say that it does but not imate)

Not that i've found out of the box, I haven't checked out the included CD yet tho. I'd venture that's not a HUGE issue tho, as it will run ClearVue Smartphone for viewing Office / PDF docs.

P

It looks and feels very solidly constructed.

The battery cover is made of metal, the main body of very tough, shiny, and reassuringly solid plastic.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the construction, although the miniUSB cover is a bit annoying. The keypad also takes some getting used to.

Not that I can find!

Not that i've found out of the box, I haven't checked out the included CD yet tho. I'd venture that's not a HUGE issue tho, as it will run ClearVue Smartphone for viewing Office / PDF docs.

P

aaaaaah!!

It stated im msmobiles (I think ) that they updated WMP 10 to include a basic adjustment to bass and treble; somethong that I was sooo looking forward to cause I believe WMP 10 needs it. If it has this it will make it a great music player and one that I will use more often.

Thats a negative for me now but lets see....

Wow, looks amazingly nice! I'd definetly go for it, provided it had Wifi.

UMTS/HSdpa would also be a plus in my next device.

BTW, are AKU3 updates available for previous PDA/smartphones?

Guest dijital

hi, whats the dpad like?, is it suitable for games (can it do diagonals, up and right, etc).

as this is a HUGE factor in me comming back to winodws mobile.

also whats the headphone jack like?

Thanks!

Guest Paul (MVP)

The dpad is my least favourite thing at the moment, quite tricky to get used to. It doesn't do diagonals.

The headphone jack is USB, like on the Hermes.

P

Guest randomelements

It is indeed worrying that you can't see any EQ functionality in WMP as this was supposed to be one of the inclusions in AKU3 - perhaps there is an option to include it on a per device basis or it will only be available on PPCs. Who knows.

I was also hoping that the updated WMP would be less of a resource hog than the current build.

Paul, what is the build number of WMP on the SPL? I've gor Version 10.2 Build 14955 on the Vario II.

Thanks.

Guest nickcornaglia

Are there two versions of this phone? One for Europe and one for US? It's not listed as Quad-band but two flavors of Tri-Band....on their site.

Guest mavisdavis

OOOOOOOhhhh Straight outta the Tron film..

Might be tempted back to tthe smartphone market after all..

Right anybody with any cheapo links to buy buy buy :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.