moving from T9 to excal's qwerty

hey all

Seriously thinking about gettin the S620, coming from a startrk and the SP5, C550, SP3 before that, so pretty much all standard dial pad phones.

Just wondering if anyone has switched to this qwerty phone coming from only T9 in the past? and are you findind it faster/ better/ easier for test input than T9? and how is single handed typing working out?

I had a PPC for a short while but gave it up cos text input was too much hassle. I mainly use my phone for txt and emails so text input is my main concern.

Any thoughs on the above would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

cheers

gr

Guest Superslimjimmy

I'm testing out my new Dash compared to my C550. The keyboard seems just as good for text messages. I dont go on the internet much but the keyboard is way better for typing in address. The buttons are kinda small so it seems like my giant fingers keep hitting the wrong keys but then i look and the message came out fine. It has xt9 which for some reason annoys me and i cant turn it off. Why would i need predictive text when i can type exactly what i want?

Edited by Superslimjimmy

Guest chaznet

It's a qwerty keyboard, so, if that sounds like it'd be easier for you, then it probably would be. It uses the next generation of T9, xT9. It works OK, but kicks in a lot when you don't expect, like in a password field, and then remembers your password. It also remembers your type, so your dictionary grows with stuff you don't want and I haven't yet found a way to edit the dictionary like with T9.

Your best bet would probably be to go to the T-Mobile store and try it out...

hey all

Seriously thinking about gettin the S620, coming from a startrk and the SP5, C550, SP3 before that, so pretty much all standard dial pad phones.

Just wondering if anyone has switched to this qwerty phone coming from only T9 in the past? and are you findind it faster/ better/ easier for test input than T9? and how is single handed typing working out?

I had a PPC for a short while but gave it up cos text input was too much hassle. I mainly use my phone for txt and emails so text input is my main concern.

Any thoughs on the above would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

cheers

gr

thanks for the replies. i'm in ireland so it'll probably be 2008 before one of our operators gets this handset :(

afaik the htc version doesnt use the xt9 (correct me if i'm wrong) so that shouldn't be a problem. i agree, why would you need predictive when you have a qwerty!

so realistically, can you type with one hand with this thing?

i'm typing this on my phone and it's takin bloody ages so i'll leave it at that :rolleyes:

thanks again, anyone with the htc version any info that'd be cool!

gr

Guest Superslimjimmy
Press Alt + Spacebar to turn off the xT9.

ugh i cant believe i couldnt figure that out.

basically typing with this thing is a breeze (this post took me about a minute). As far as typing one handed i cant do it like i used too with my regular phone. I cant really even type without looking at the keys even tho i can on a keyboard. practice makes perfect tho

basically typing with this thing is a breeze (this post took me about a minute). As far as typing one handed i cant do it like i used too with my regular phone. I cant really even type without looking at the keys even tho i can on a keyboard. practice makes perfect tho

thanks m8. Guess I won't really know till I try myself though :rolleyes:

Guest chaznet

Suprisingly, it's in the manual that comes with the phone. Skim through it, it's very organized and easy to skim through...