Alarm Clock

Guest .PoNeH

Well, I know that I am not the only one that is upset with the WM5.0 alarm feature. I used the alarm on my Razr religiously and found it quite easy to set multiple alarms. Something that I am really interested in is something with a SNOOZE option. As a college student I rely extensively on snoozing to get started with my days.

Thanks in advance...

Guest chaznet

Search here on 'alarm' and 'smartphone', or search handango.com -- download the trial versions of what's available and see which one you like.

Personally, I use CityTime Alarms -- it can be configured to just keep ringing until I shut it off. There's a beta version in one of the forums here with formatting for landscape screens. Keep in mind the guy is busy, and a final release is somewhere down the road -- but it's the longest beta I've run into -- several months now.

Another one is John Cody's alerts. A lot of users like it, but it isn't of the 'keep ringing til I do something' variety, and in my experience it errored out a couple times instead of waking me up -- something I've not run into with CityTime Alarms during my year or so of use.

Well, I know that I am not the only one that is upset with the WM5.0 alarm feature. I used the alarm on my Razr religiously and found it quite easy to set multiple alarms. Something that I am really interested in is something with a SNOOZE option. As a college student I rely extensively on snoozing to get started with my days.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by chaznet

Guest shadowrtype

Thanks in advance...

I use pTravelAlarm. It has multiple alarms that can play mp3 files and has a configurable snooze.

Guest chaznet

pTravelAlarm is my absolute favorite, unfortunately though it's not yet out for WM5-Smartphone edition. Last week I emailed the author asking about it, and, he said it's on the horizon, but no time frame. pTravelAlarm is the perfect example of 'less is more'... You set the alarm, it rings until you shut off, there aren't a zillion settings, it doesn't generate errors... it just works.

I use pTravelAlarm. It has multiple alarms that can play mp3 files and has a configurable snooze.

Guest shadowrtype
pTravelAlarm is my absolute favorite, unfortunately though it's not yet out for WM5-Smartphone edition. Last week I emailed the author asking about it, and, he said it's on the horizon, but no time frame. pTravelAlarm is the perfect example of 'less is more'... You set the alarm, it rings until you shut off, there aren't a zillion settings, it doesn't generate errors... it just works.

Using the version for Smartphone 2003 is more than adequate on my Dash. Not a big deal that it only fills half the screen. Alarms and snooze buttons work just fine.

I'm using John Cody's alerts!. It's the best one I've found. I have had problems with CityTime Alarms on both the Tornado and the Excalibur/Dash... it comes up with notification errors on boot and occasionally when running. Very annoying and causes problems.

Guest chaznet

Cody's alerts has a >lot:)

I'm using John Cody's alerts!. It's the best one I've found. I have had problems with CityTime Alarms on both the Tornado and the Excalibur/Dash... it comes up with notification errors on boot and occasionally when running. Very annoying and causes problems.

Guest chaznet

Thanks for the tip -- didn't even think to try the 2003 version, but you're right, it work and looks fine.

Using the version for Smartphone 2003 is more than adequate on my Dash. Not a big deal that it only fills half the screen. Alarms and snooze buttons work just fine.

CityTime Alarms is currently unsigned -- which is why you see the error upon boot. It still works, just generates that boot error until he gets it signed -- he says this is in the works, but it's been in the works for a long while now.

I don't think that's the reason... it doesn't happen all the time, so it can't be because it's unsigned.

Guest chaznet

Um... then you better tell the guy who wrote the program, you must know more than him and he's barking up the wrong tree. It's the answer he provided in the forum he has set up here for his product. I'd think if anyone would know, it would be him, not you.

I don't think that's the reason... it doesn't happen all the time, so it can't be because it's unsigned.

Guest pchronos

WM5 actually has 3 timers defined in the registry but unfortunatly exposes only one in the shell. I wrote a small utility that allows you to set/change the settings of any of the timers including the second ( and third ) and it actually works but ONLY if you open and save the first timer with the shell.

I am certain it has to do with the "alarmhandle" value that sees to change everytime you play with the alarm settings. I reused the handle values in the other timers and it works fine as long as the handle is still valid. If anyone knows more about the alarm handle value and how it works I would be glad to finish the utility and post it free for all.

Thanks

Um... then you better tell the guy who wrote the program, you must know more than him and he's barking up the wrong tree. It's the answer he provided in the forum he has set up here for his product. I'd think if anyone would know, it would be him, not you.

From the author:

"On the other hand I had a friend from Microsoft contact me and let me know there is a problem they are seeing with apps that are not application signed. There is a timing issue with the notification system trying to start applications before the trust service is running. It might just be because this version is unsigned, which I am taking care of now."

Sounds like

a) It's a problem with Windows, not with the app (if it was an app problem it would happen every time at boot)

:) The author stated that it 'might' be the problem.

Anyways, no reason to get so defensive :D

Guest chaznet

Sorry -- male-menstration-cycle :)

From the author:

"On the other hand I had a friend from Microsoft contact me and let me know there is a problem they are seeing with apps that are not application signed. There is a timing issue with the notification system trying to start applications before the trust service is running. It might just be because this version is unsigned, which I am taking care of now."

Sounds like

a) It's a problem with Windows, not with the app (if it was an app problem it would happen every time at boot)

:D The author stated that it 'might' be the problem.

Anyways, no reason to get so defensive :P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chaznet

The grand-daddy of Windows Mobile alarm clocks (having been using this one since the early days of Windows CE) has just come out with a beta for WM5 Smartphones (landscape and otherwise).

pTravelAlarm -- simple, easy to use, doesn't jump through hoops, just reliably wakes you up :)

http://www.burroak.on.ca/pta.html

Guest Jason Coleman

I purchased a clock program called Gentimer, I like it a lot. It's only 10$, not the typical 30$ places seem to like charging, and works quite well.

Guest chaznet

That is a nice one -- hadn't heard of it before, just bought it. I like how it >doesn't< generate an error when the device boots up. Thanks for the info.

I purchased a clock program called Gentimer, I like it a lot. It's only 10$, not the typical 30$ places seem to like charging, and works quite well.
Edited by chaznet

• 1 month later...
The grand-daddy of Windows Mobile alarm clocks (having been using this one since the early days of Windows CE) has just come out with a beta for WM5 Smartphones (landscape and otherwise).

pTravelAlarm -- simple, easy to use, doesn't jump through hoops, just reliably wakes you up :)

http://www.burroak.on.ca/pta.html

Maybe anyone can confirm the bug I see on my german XDA cosmo (O2 branded Excalibur):

it appears as soon as a lock is enabled:

"device lock" (this lock where you have to type in a PIN to unlock the phone)

or the "keypad lock" (where you have to press left softkey and "*" ).

Now when the alarm rings the pTravelAlarm comes in foreground and you have the choice to "snooze" or "stop" the alarm.

So far so good.

But now the problem:

regardless of which of the two buttons you press you are locked out of the phone. pTA is still in foreground and the left software button says "unlock" but when you press it nothing happens.

In consequence the only possible thing is to remove the battery and restart the phone.

So this pretty software is useless for me at the moment, because I don't want to restart my phone every morning with this rude method.

Anyone else with this problem or is it only the german O2 ROM which causes this problem?

Guest chaznet

It's the first beta for the smartphone edition of WM5... You should provide this info to the author so he can fix it in a future beta.

pTravelAlarm, CityTime Alarms, etc... seems like fixes and changes are extremely slow for alarm clock programs -- I'm getting the impression the guys who make these aren't breaking the bank, their day jobs must take priority... :)

Maybe anyone can confirm the bug I see on my german XDA cosmo (O2 branded Excalibur):

it appears as soon as a lock is enabled:

"device lock" (this lock where you have to type in a PIN to unlock the phone)

or the "keypad lock" (where you have to press left softkey and "*" ).

Now when the alarm rings the pTravelAlarm comes in foreground and you have the choice to "snooze" or "stop" the alarm.

So far so good.

But now the problem:

regardless of which of the two buttons you press you are locked out of the phone. pTA is still in foreground and the left software button says "unlock" but when you press it nothing happens.

In consequence the only possible thing is to remove the battery and restart the phone.

So this pretty software is useless for me at the moment, because I don't want to restart my phone every morning with this rude method.

Anyone else with this problem or is it only the german O2 ROM which causes this problem?

It's the first beta for the smartphone edition of WM5... You should provide this info to the author so he can fix it in a future beta.

pTravelAlarm, CityTime Alarms, etc... seems like fixes and changes are extremely slow for alarm clock programs -- I'm getting the impression the guys who make these aren't breaking the bank, their day jobs must take priority... :)

I can confirm this issue doesn't exist with the latest CityTime Alarms app (which rocks by the way!)

Guest chaznet

I'm not sure which issue you're referring to...? If it's the issue of infrequent updates, well, that's not really an issue -- just the way it is.

Several months will go by before an update to CityTime Alarms comes out, the current beta has been a beta for about 6 months now. CT Alarms is potentially the best alarm clock for the smartphone, but the most recent beta exits randomly, and generates a bunch of 'not enough memory to execute operation' errors when there's plenty of memory available. I'm sure these things will eventually be fixed, but that version came out over the holidays, I'm assuming because the author had some time off work.

GenTimer seems to be the best option for a Dash right now, but I sure would like a fully functional CityTime Alarms :)

No one is getting rich of an alarm clock program, so we just have to be patient -- the intent is there, resources and time must be lacking.

I can confirm this issue doesn't exist with the latest CityTime Alarms app (which rocks by the way!)
Edited by chaznet

Guest chaznet

The topic you're referencing is about PocketPC-Phone alarm clock software. This topic is about Smartphone alarm clock software. Lost? :)

This is also being discussed in this thread http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=247962&hl=

Personally I have a Sony Radio Alarm - which has to be the worst thing Sony have ever "designed" - it's awful so I certainly can't recommend it. lol

Edited by chaznet

Guest Confucious

I know, but most of these products are avilable on both platfrms and no one here has mentioned that John Cody is a benefit on Plus or mentioned that another beneffit (Chronos) is due out on Smartphone soon - rather than repeating it all I thought I'd just point in the direction of the other thread cos I'm a lazy bugger! :)

Edited by Confucious

That's what I did and the author of pTravelAlarm answered very quickly.

He is indeed working on a beta 2.7.2 and he sent me a drop of his current version.

This one fixed at least the issue on my phone, but he is still working on the software.

So hold one a little bit - pTravelAlarm is on the way :)