The official HTC S620 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Later this week, I will be posting my review of the HTC Excalibur based HTC S620 Smartphone. :(

In advance of this, this thread is an opportunity for you to ask me anything at all about the device, and i'll try and answer it!

Packing a landscape QVGA screem, a QWERTY thumboard, WiFi, innovative 'JoggR' controller and a famed battery life (helped no doubt by the old-faithful 200MHz OMAP 850 processor)... how will the S620 fare in my review? Will it come through the test with glowing praise, or will the 'JoggR' go the same way as the 'RollR'?

Stay tuned to find out :rolleyes:

P

s620.jpg

Guest chaznet

...or tune into CNET, Engadget, SmartphoneThoughts, etc... With all these reviews, you'd think someone would have a leather case for it by now :)

Stay tuned to find out :D

Guest spacerace

I l o v e mine ! Interestingly it blips in and out of EDGE much more than any of my other smartphones that technically supported EDGE. I'm finding EDGE capable transmitters in lots of places I didn't think had it.

Guest nickcornaglia

That looks like a NICE keyboard...as far as keyboards go. Is it easy to type with? Looks like it is. I soooooo want one...but vowed not to buy another phone unless it has 3G.

Guest Paul (MVP)

The keyboard is great actually.

I used a pre-production Excalibur and came away unimpressed... but the S620 blows me away... particularly the screen!

The JoggR actually works too :)

P

Guest skywalker107

Can you take some pics of all the connectors and plugs.

This looks like exactly what my boss has been asking me for for months. a cross between his crackberry and his smartphone.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hehe, yeah Sporky, oh well!

Loukas - i'm really loving it atm actually... it's been a while since i've seriously considered using a Smartphone as my main device i'm sad to say, but with the S620 i'm really torn between it (great screen, thin, AKU3) and my Vario II (touchscreen, bigger screen, bigger keyboard but big n heavy!)

P

Hehe, yeah Sporky, oh well!

Loukas - i'm really loving it atm actually... it's been a while since i've seriously considered using a Smartphone as my main device i'm sad to say, but with the S620 i'm really torn between it (great screen, thin, AKU3) and my Vario II (touchscreen, bigger screen, bigger keyboard but big n heavy!)

P

Hey Paul,

I got an HTC S620 from Expansys yesterday (free on O2 B2B £35pm contract) and I am playing with it.... have 14days to return if I want to. But I'm coming to the same conclusions as you, that the size is indeed excellent, very pocketable, and the device is quite responsive. I had the same processor in my Vario and got fed up with missing calls and waiting for menus to open. This one is really really responsive.

I am still considering the Treo 750v for its customization abilities, but in the end I think I'll keep the S620. At least for a few months.... :)

Thanks for your comments!

Guest spacerace

The keyboard is great, I'm happy typing pretty long emails on it if needed. The idea is that I can use it when I'm out and about and would only have my phone with me and it does that job well. Other PPCPE devices I've used (e.g. Vario) I always got annoyed carrying them because they were so big and heavy. I can carry this in my shirt pocket and not feel weighed down by it at all. I'm finding that the screen and battery life are both excellent too.

yeah this screen is sic!! the extra size is a big improvment over other SPs screens.

One thing, is there anyway (reg hack or anything) to decrease the system font size? Say when reading a txt if the font size was a few points smaller you'd fit alot more on the screen and it'd still be more than legiable

any iders

Edited by Guest

I got an excaliber....and love it.....just don't know which to use this or the 750v both great devices

How are you guys getting this? Through contract or by paying the full retail price?

I got mine through expansys on an O2 contract...

I am wondering if it will be released soon by any carrier, now that my friends have seen it they seem to be getting jealous :) :D

Anyone have info on carriers? Thanks...

How are you guys getting this? Through contract or by paying the full retail price?

I am wondering if it will be released soon by any carrier, now that my friends have seen it they seem to be getting jealous :) :P

i bought it sim free from expansys.....Sorry no idea on carrier release .....may never be :D

Can anybody say something about the volume of the internal speaker?

Is it loud enough to navigate with TomTom while driving in the car?

Actually the sound level of my SDAII is a little bit poor (especially when I drive a little bit faster over the german highways :) )

In TomTom can you type in the city and the streets with the alpha-keyboard or just only with the number keys?

Is the screen still readable in direct sunlight or without backlight (on SDAII I see nearly nothing under these conditions)?

Thanks guys...

Guest Paul (MVP)

The build of TomTom 5.2 i've tried, which I believe is the latest, doesn't like being run in Landscape, nor the QWERTY keyboard, which is a shame as the speaker is lovely and loud!

P

I am wondering if it will be released soon by any carrier, now that my friends have seen it they seem to be getting jealous :) :D

I got a new Dash of ebay and avoiced paying import tax (as it was "a gift") the cheery on top was it wasn't locked to tmobile even though the guy selling it said it was locked so saved another 27 euro by not having to get it unlocked!!

I'd look there as people are getting them for nothing on upgrades and selling them for ALOT less than what expansys are selling for.

hth

gr

Guest chrisbpr
I l o v e mine ! Interestingly it blips in and out of EDGE much more than any of my other smartphones that technically supported EDGE. I'm finding EDGE capable transmitters in lots of places I didn't think had it.

not exactly on topic i know, but talking of EDGE does tmob uk support this as the browsing on my vario seems to be alot quicker all of a sudden

Guest spacerace
not exactly on topic i know, but talking of EDGE does tmob uk support this as the browsing on my vario seems to be alot quicker all of a sudden

Should have mentioned, my comments regarding EDGE were using Orange (UK). For what it's worth I definietly notice speed improvements on browsing, AS sessions and file transfers (I uploaded a high res. picture to Spaces nice and quickly last night)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.