T Mobile Dash/HTC Excalibur Questions

I love the T Mobile Dash/HTC Excalibur, but have a few questions about it and the operating system. Having come from a Palm based device with a touchscreen (Treo), there are some issues I can't wuit figure out and was hoping some of you could be of assistance.

My first issue is getting my Tasks on the "Homescreen." It would just be nice to have them available at a glance, rather than having to enter the Start menu.

Next, and perhaps the most problematic issue, is with my e-mail. Mine is a small office, so we do not use an Exchange server. Ours is a POP3 email account. We also use MSOutlook 2003 on our desktop machines. These are set to retrieve email from the server every minute and delete them from the server when they are in Outlook. When I got the phone, I set it to leave messages on the server for 7 days, so the phone could retrieve them. This is all fine, except that this doubles the emails - a copy on the phone and a copy on my desktop). This becomes a problem when I am out of the office for a few days and sort through a few hundred emails and delete the ones I am through with on the phone. Then, when I get back in the office, I have to resort the damn things and delete the ones from my desktop Outlook. A real time waster.

Is there a way to have MSOutlook communicate directly from my desktop to the phone without a server? In the alternative, is there a way to sync the POP3 account on my phone with the Inbox of my MSOutlook? Either is good.

The cheapest solutions to these issues are best.

Thanks for all of the help.

Guest spacerace
Sorry, but also forgot to ask:

Any idea where I can buy accessories:

A standard spare battery and charger for the battery

An extended life battery and needed cover if it is larger than standard

A case that i can leave the phone in when using it

Tasks - Try this: Tasks on Smartphone Home Screen (Freeware)

EMail - One solution could be to switch to IMAP (which most POP servers also support, ask your tech support) which will give you exactly what you want, delete emails once on either the device or Outlook and you'll never have to deal with it again. Second option would be a hosted exchange service - 4smartphone.net is $3.99/month for 500MB storage ($6.99/annum for 1GB) and gives you all the great additional features of Exchange Server 2003 (Task sync for e.g.)

Accessories - HTC have their own online store (a rebranded Expansys) where you can buy accessories. Start here: HTC

Edited by spacerace

Guest spacerace
Thanks for the help. I've tried the Oxios Tasks Plugin. It seems to get installed fine, and I see it installed on the homescreen. However, when I try to use it, I get an error message stating that I do not have Oxio To Do installed.

Odd. Their website says:

With Oxios Tasks Plugin, your Smartphone will display your current Outlook tasks on the Home Screen. Oxios Tasks Plugin can activate Oxios ToDo List or the builtin Smartphone Tasks Application.

I haven't used it, but I imagine there must be a setting in the software somewhere that specifies whether you are using built in Outlook Tasks or the Oxios ToDo List ?