Where's Orange's innovation gone?

Guest chucky.egg

Guest chucky.egg

Messenger RIP too!

These things used to be what differentiated Orange from the others - little stuff that added up to useful services.

What do they sell on now? The only adverts you see are for PAYG "bonuses". And don't get me started on the flat-rate GPRS for PAYG users :evil:

Guest Confused Stu

They still get bonus points from me for those adverts they play in cinemas where they take the mickey out of the film stars and Orange executives. That said, that's a pretty lame reason to stay with them!

I think Orange have moved away from innvations that their customer's appreciated, but wouldn't cause someone to move from another network just for them, for example all the ones listed above. Instead they're moving towards ones that people have to pay to use - for example Orange Music player. I think they've realised people don't move for innovations, but they're happy enough to pay for them when they're already on the network.

' date='Jan 9 2006, 20:12' post='22']Wildfire RIP, Everyphone RIP, Free SMS RIP, Free 0800 RIP... where's Orange's innovation gone?

I find it increasingly difficult to find a really compelling reason to stay with Orange, particularly as T-Mobile are now picking up the Windows Mobile mantle.

I guess i'm not the only one that feels this way too!

P

I know exactly how you feel. I manage the telecoms at work and I'm about to move from Orange to Voda. Orange stand to lose a ?40k contract and do they care, not at all.

Most of the contacts that I once had at Orange have either moved department or left the company. Those that remain, with a few excpetions, are pretty useless.

The latest thing that they want to try and hold everyone to is that the handset remains the property of Orange and that it must be returned at the end of the contract and that they can charge you if you dont return it or if its damaged!

Guest fluffcat1
They still get bonus points from me for those adverts they play in cinemas where they take the mickey out of the film stars and Orange executives.

I know people who've bought a PAYG orange phone / sim just for the orange film offer. They don't use them for calls on the whole. 1 or 2 use them for GPRS. I do feel like orange contract customers are being left out. Free calls to other orange after 7? GPRS at ?1 per day? Half you bill back when you pay etc etc...

Richard

Guest ricardo the fish

I wish I had stuck to PAYG, especially now PAYG has some seemingly great offers, flat rate GPRS etc..

And to think I only went to contract 'cos I spending over thirty quid a month on my PAYG phone. (on the plus side going contract led me to Windows mobile - first a Mpx200 :) , now a C550 :D )

' date='Jan 9 2006, 21:31' post='30']LOL, the handset does NOT remain the property of Orange!

SIM yes, handset no... right?

P

No, the latest OBSCA thing they sent us said that we would have to return handsets at the end of any contract period and that we would be liable for charges if not returned!

Guest Vanessa
No, the latest OBSCA thing they sent us said that we would have to return handsets at the end of any contract period and that we would be liable for charges if not returned!

I wonder if that would somehow enable people to upgrade more often or for less? Nah, I doubt it too - I'd be straight down the T-Mobile shop if they ever introduced that! :)

Guest Jay3gsm

When you enter into a contract with any UK network the handset does not form part of that contract. Which is why if you default, the network doesn't chase you for the subsidy on the handset, they chase you for outstanding contractual charges. (the retailer is the one who will chase you for lost commission and handset costs) So when your contract finishes you do NOT have to give them back, they are yours from day one.

I know a lot of people who are moving from Orange, one of the biggest complaints these days is the horrible Orange homescreen they butcher the handsets with. I've moved to Vodafone, with an N70, and I'm loving the phone and the service (For you MS fans, wait til Yahoo! give you YGO, it is fantastic) The Vodafone tariff (?25 a month for 250 minutes and a combination of 1,000 SMS, 333 MMS and 51MB of data) is very well priced in todays market too.

Guest LSmith4285

Tomorrow is my last day working for Orange and its changed a lot in the 6.5 years I have worked for them.

I'd say, and I know a few people who I work with would agree, the innovation disappeared the day Hans Snook left and the France telecom accountants moved in.

It all about money now, they do bend over backwards for customers would make a lot of money but they are quite willing to see the back of anyone who isn't.

Guest wirefree90

Personally I was at Orange for 9 years and decided to leave shortly after Richard Brennan announced that he was going.

Take a quick look at the Francetelecom network before it became known as Orange, Itineris was hardly the most innovative network in the world and was loosing money faster than it seemed to make it. All of the senior management at Itineris are now installed at Orange, hardly a recipe for success....

Also you might be interested to know that all of the original Orange SPV team, Andrew Thomas, Phil Blair, Peter Ford etc have left Orange in the past year to pursue new careers.

I can rememeber working for Hans and Richard and it was certainly a whole lot more fun.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Orange's innovation went out th window when it was purchased by France Telecom. That, I tell you from experience, was the worst possible thing to happen. Orange is still very profitable, but we are used as nothing but a cash injection by the French. When France Telecom was hit with a fine for being anti-competitive, who do you think picked up the tab? Orange did. It's the only profitable part of the France Telecom group.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pd.ryder
Paul you forgot the Customer Service RIP part. Customers seem to be an annoyance that Orange would rather do without - especially the long term contract customers.

They do seem to be 'suffering' customers rather than being pleased to help. I certainly got up one young lady's nose the other day when I wanted my phone replacing because of a dodgy joystick and moaned about the ?15 'administation' charge. "But you've paid it before...." she said, "Yes," I said, "and I complain about it every time!" She clattered and poked her keyboard for a few seconds and hung up!!!

Delightful :)

Do any other networks offer such a comprehensive replacement service? I was talking to a friend of mine last night who is an Orange customer. His phone was faulty and he had no insurance yet he called them (at my suggestion) and had a replacement delivered today.

I think that ?15 for that kind of service is worth it. If he'd been on Voda or O2 I believe he'd have had to send the device away.

Guest pd.ryder

Slightly more irritating than that I'm afraid.

The ?15 mentioned is payable on top of the ?5/month for comprehensive insurance :)

If I wasn't paying them ?60/year for their cover I wouldn't object at all. I'm very careful with my phones and they rarely need replacing other than for breakdow/malfunction.

I'm not sure under what circumstances the charge is applied. I don't have anything to do with that kind of call (plus most business customers get free care (and I usually waive silly charges).

Guest pd.ryder
I'm not sure under what circumstances the charge is applied.

They charge it regardless; and when pressed they stress its an administration charge for processing the insurance claim :)

Guest russell@home

There's one thing I find strange about the "admin charge", how many times have you been asked to pay it when you take a faulty product back to Argos/Currys/Comet etc?

is it legal???