My deepest darkest secret...

Guest James

Guest sporkguy

being the phone whore i am, I've had my fair share of Nokias.

My last being the 6630, which was a cracking symbian phone. I even keep it as my backup because I know I can depend on it :)

Guest shuurajou

I've always been a fan of Sony Ericsson, but fairly recently as I saw the Windows Mobile market mature into what many know as the C500, that was when I started to look more seriously into getting a Windows Mobile device. The i-mate SP5 was my first purchase of a Windows Mobile device.

I've never been a fan of Nokia's, and after providing tech support for them for such a long time I really saw a bad side of them I guess. I get the impression that quality has declined greatly over the years now as most feel like plastic toys instead of solid workmanship that I did love from Sony Ericsson. I think now I've found a happy medium of build quality & a much happier place with software :).

Guest markdotpeters5

I've gone back to the n70 for now.

Cracking as the Sharp's camera is, I much prefer the Nokia UI.

It's on Ebay, i'll put it on the modaco for sale board later.

I'll be first in the line when a windows smartphone comes out with a decent camera with a decent flash.

I just want to take pictures of my mates on the beer!

Guest sporkguy
I've gone back to the n70 for now.

Cracking as the Sharp's camera is, I much prefer the Nokia UI.

It's on Ebay, i'll put it on the modaco for sale board later.

I'll be first in the line when a windows smartphone comes out with a decent camera with a decent flash.

I just want to take pictures of my mates on the beer!

I played with the 903 in my local Voda shop,

There's two major caveats that put me off the 903 after my N90:

1) It takes *forever* to save a photo once taken

2) there's no external screen, which means I havn't the foggiest who's calling me, and I can't be doing with having to flip it open to see if I have any texts.

Other than that, it looked like a nice phone. I was going to eBay a Ferrari Red one from Japan a month ago for ?300 but decided to test it in the shop first and wasn't overly impressed.

Still, it'll appeal to some people, as did my N90.

Guest hydrashok

I've been using nokias all my life. As phones, you just can't beat them. I recently bought an 02XDA IIi for well... work and play (mostly play :) ), and I've become a real fan of the Pocket PC OS. BUT, as a phone, it can't hold a candle to my N70. Symbian really rocks as a phone OS. And the N70 can't touch the 02 when it comes to PIM, browsing, watching movies, IM, etc. But the N70 takes way better photos and Vids. So I'm convinced that lugging both with me everywhere I go is a neccessary hassle, if I need all the featues I want.I wish there could be a phone with all the PDA and data features of Windows (PPC/WiMO 5) and a symbian-like interface (for just the phone application).

Guest markdotpeters5

Sporkguy: For some reason (and I'm still not sure why this is) if you take the phooto in the normal mode (ie, the phone normally flipped open) then you're right, it spends about 15-20 seconds on the spinny icon thing, then the saving progress bar comes up saving the picture which takes 3-4 seconds).

If, however, you take the photo in camera 'mode', ie - you flip the screen round and close the phone again, the spinny icon doesn't appear at all, and the whole process only takes a couple of seconds...

Weird, but true.

I'm selling my 903, if you're interested.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sporkguy

hmm you sure its not saving a lower-resolution image in the other camera mode?

what condition is your 903 in? is it unlocked? I'd be interested in a new toy.. but not sure...

Guest nevawlkalone
my fav was the Nokia 7110 myself :)

Cool Phone, definately one of the better nokias...

Also the 3210....that phone was indestructable...i STILL have mine now AND it works....all beit the case is chipped to buggery lol :D

Guest Gasman2
SDA II makes better use of the same hardware as the C550.

Now that T-Mobile seem to have stopped supplying this - what should I get?

Most important for me is a smallish phone, with a good keypad for making normal phone calls!! I know this seems to be a rare requirement round here - but that's still what a phone is for me! Also need decent bluetooth. Everything else is a bonus (not at all fussed about a camera) - but ability to run Sat Nav would be good and why I was after an SDA II! :)

Guest sporkguy
Now that T-Mobile seem to have stopped supplying this - what should I get?

Most important for me is a smallish phone, with a good keypad for making normal phone calls!! I know this seems to be a rare requirement round here - but that's still what a phone is for me! Also need decent bluetooth. Everything else is a bonus (not at all fussed about a camera) - but ability to run Sat Nav would be good and why I was after an SDA II! :)

I'll have a shot in the dark at this one :D

Have you had a look at the Nokia N70? It fills all your listed requirements, including the satnav and decent bluetooth.

Its a tad on the bulky side, but then its smaller than an MDA Vario or Compact (which are also excellent choices, especially the Vario!).

Hope that gives you some idea :P

Guest dr who
I'll have a shot in the dark at this one :)

Have you had a look at the Nokia N70? It fills all your listed requirements, including the satnav and decent bluetooth.

Its a tad on the bulky side, but then its smaller than an MDA Vario or Compact (which are also excellent choices, especially the Vario!).

Hope that gives you some idea :D

There do seem to be a lot of reports of people having insurmountable problems getting Tom Tom to run on some N70's.

Guest sporkguy

I liked my N90 as far as the camera went, video was excellent, as was the internal screen - but it was just too slow and HUGE for me.

Symbian is comfortable to use, but nowhere near as accommodating as Windows Mobile, I'll agree.

Guest Jay3gsm
Symbian is comfortable to use, but nowhere near as accommodating as Windows Mobile, I'll agree.

Windows Mobile is the most frustrating, unfriendly, awkward O/S I've ever had the displeasure to use.

I have spent most of today trying to get my SPV C600 De-certified. What a pain in the ass! All I want to do is be able to install some software of my own choosing onto my own handset. but for some stupid reason either Orange or M$ decided it shouldn't be so straight forward. Instead I am going round and round and round trying to resolve an issue that is dealt with in less than 10 seconds on a Symbian handset.

I give up, C600 is going in the bin and I'm going back to a phone that works as a phone, as a smartphone, with a simple straight forward O/S that is well designed and capable of operating as expected.

Windows Mobile sucks.

Guest dr who
Windows Mobile is the most frustrating, unfriendly, awkward O/S I've ever had the displeasure to use.

I have spent most of today trying to get my SPV C600 De-certified. What a pain in the ass! All I want to do is be able to install some software of my own choosing onto my own handset. but for some stupid reason either Orange or M$ decided it shouldn't be so straight forward. Instead I am going round and round and round trying to resolve an issue that is dealt with in less than 10 seconds on a Symbian handset.

I give up, C600 is going in the bin and I'm going back to a phone that works as a phone, as a smartphone, with a simple straight forward O/S that is well designed and capable of operating as expected.

Windows Mobile sucks.

As you know jay, I had exactly the same feelings migrating from a C500 to an N70. Still rocking my C500 and waiting for a phone to offer me something new. I had my heart set on an N80 but the preview I read recently made very disappointing reading - poor battery life and no A2DP. Boo.

Guest sporkguy

Windows Mobile sucks.

Jay m8, I'll happily trade you my 6630 for the C600 :)

There's just something about WM that makes things easy for me - I don't know, it just operates a lot quicker at the basics (such as texting, calling etc) - then again that pretty much all I need in a phone - obviously email and internet is important too, but it boils down to how well a phone can do the basics.

I think that this highlights the complexities of phones at this level. I don't think it matters which OS you use, it comes down to what you're used too.

I use MS, and for me it works great. I tried a Nokia N90 a while back (cos I wanted the decent camera) and the basics just didn't work for me - had me wanting to bounce the phone off the wall within half an hour.

Sounds very much like the experience you've had, Jay, coming from Nokia to MS.

It shouldn't matter which platform you use, the setup etc should be much more easy if the manufacturers want these devices to become more main-stream, and if the operators want us to use the more advanced (and more expensive) features.

Just my two-pennies worth! :)

Guest Jay3gsm

At least the C600 is a marked improvement on previous windows mobile phones. I have a C550, and I've had a C500 in the past, so I have given it a fair crack. But even simple things like sending a recently dialled number an SMS was an ordeal until the C600.

The problems I have had still, over this weekend, have been setting up the C600 to work on Vodafone. Why oh why there are so many different settings and sub settings to find and enter just to get the damn thing to work? And even after entering all settings manually, the damn phone STILL won't download received MMS. At least I got internet browsing to work. If email will work too then I could probably do without MMS.

How do you copy n paste on the C600?

Guest CrispyDK

Paul, an ex-nokia guy... who would have believed it... hehe, well, Paul, don't feel ashamed, there was actually a time when the Nokias were the best thing out there... It's just so long ago that nobody remembers it :)

Guest Jay3gsm

Divorce proceedings have started between myself and the C600, due to me having an affair with the 6280 :)

Seriously, the C600 is dumped. I am using the 6280 and the straight forward pleasure of using Series 40 is fantastic after the mess that is Windows Mobile. The 6280 will feed my mobile fix until the N80 comes along.

No more Windows Mobile for me.

Guest sporkguy
Divorce proceedings have started between myself and the C600, due to me having an affair with the 6280 :D

Seriously, the C600 is dumped. I am using the 6280 and the straight forward pleasure of using Series 40 is fantastic after the mess that is Windows Mobile. The 6280 will feed my mobile fix until the N80 comes along.

No more Windows Mobile for me.

Here's hoping N80 won't be mangled carwreck the N90 was. My god that phone was awful. Not only was it HUGE, but gallery performance was dire. It'd take at least 5-10 seconds for it to load a single thumbnail in the gallery.

Even resco photoview had problems, due to the sucky processor.

saying that tho, old series 60 devices rock my socks. 6630, best phone I've ever owned. Gallery is zippy (even reading the 2mp photos from the n90) and is even faster than my D600 at most things, especially loading net pages (even in GPRS mode)

Please nokia, make the N80 as good as the 6630 :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest impy78
saying that tho, old series 60 devices rock my socks. 6630, best phone I've ever owned. Gallery is zippy (even reading the 2mp photos from the n90) and is even faster than my D600 at most things.

I'm a bit promiscuous when it comes to phones, i have to admit, I just can't help falling in love with them.

I do love my N70 and My pretty shiny pink mda, but my dad upgraded his phone to a d600 last week (after 2 1/2 years of his beloved SE z600!!!! He only swopped it cause it kept turning off.), and I fell in love when I saw it - I always wondered what people were on about when they said the screen on the N70 wasn't up to much, until I saw the D600.

The screen res is fantastic and the videos looked fantastic on the screen - how do the phontos and the vids compare when they are on a pc?

Guest confucious

Why are people moaning aboug camera quality on phones - if you want to take decent pictures carry a camera.

We all know that the main purpose of mobilee phones is internet browsing and mobile email for which the Universal beats everything else hands down. I've been told you can also use it for making phone calls :)

PS my first phone was a 7110 and I've recently had a 6280 which wasn't bad but nowhere near as good as WM devices IMHO

Guest sporkguy
I'm a bit promiscuous when it comes to phones, i have to admit, I just can't help falling in love with them.

I do love my N70 and My pretty shiny pink mda, but my dad upgraded his phone to a d600 last week (after 2 1/2 years of his beloved SE z600!!!! He only swopped it cause it kept turning off.), and I fell in love when I saw it - I always wondered what people were on about when they said the screen on the N70 wasn't up to much, until I saw the D600.

The screen res is fantastic and the videos looked fantastic on the screen - how do the phontos and the vids compare when they are on a pc?

well closest comparison I can do for you is on my iMac LCD screen :D

But yes, the photos are *OK* but the lack of a decent focusing system obliterates most shots. Don't even think about using it in the pub either, because it just looks horrid.

However, for fancy wallpapers and watching music vids, the screen is immense :)