I'll answer your questions

Guest AzH

Guest impy78

My question is:

Will my Nokia N70 explode/ stop working/ cause the universe to implode if I have it flashed with the generic firmware, as I have been informed by Orange staff previously?

Do Orange know what a bleeding awful idea the homescreen piece of shite is?

Which imbecile thought of it in the first place?

Guest sporkguy
My question is:

Will my Nokia N70 explode/ stop working/ cause the universe to implode if I have it flashed with the generic firmware, as I have been informed by Orange staff previously?

Do Orange know what a bleeding awful idea the homescreen piece of shite is?

Which imbecile thought of it in the first place?

I wish I knew who came up with the idea because I would like to stick a rather hot object up his.. well you get the idea :P

I first encountered this blasphemous piece of 'ingenuity' on my K700 -- it took me all of 3 weeks before I got tired of it and got a flasher cable off eBay and debranded the sucker - ahhh it was like a breath of fresh air.

I was lucky with my 6630 because I had one of the last batches before they discovered how to stick the homescreen on series 60 devices.. they killed the 6680 because of it :D

and my D600 had it too - god talk about ruining a cracking phone. Debranded now though, and couldn't be happier :)

to answer your original question: no, your N70 won't be damaged in any way by a successful debranding - and you'll notice a lot more free memory and speed in the phone :D

Guest f1ddy
I wish I knew who came up with the idea because I would like to stick a rather hot object up his.. well you get the idea :P

I first encountered this blasphemous piece of 'ingenuity' on my K700 -- it took me all of 3 weeks before I got tired of it and got a flasher cable off eBay and debranded the sucker - ahhh it was like a breath of fresh air.

I was lucky with my 6630 because I had one of the last batches before they discovered how to stick the homescreen on series 60 devices.. they killed the 6680 because of it :D

and my D600 had it too - god talk about ruining a cracking phone. Debranded now though, and couldn't be happier :)

to answer your original question: no, your N70 won't be damaged in any way by a successful debranding - and you'll notice a lot more free memory and speed in the phone :D

Hey mate,

Do Orange have any plans to launch either in the future or whenever better tariff's for GPRS rather than the 4mb for ?4. I've just got the M600 and will get the 10mb for ?8 but it is annoying when you see other networks offering more for less (in some cases a lot less!). I wouldn't mind even paying something like a tenner for unlimited use, just wish they would do something!

Orange have been pretty good with me over the past year but just wish they'd sort their GPRS tariffs out!!

Guest pd.ryder
Thanks for your contribution :)
I don't want to put words in Tech's mouth, but I think his point is, if anybody knew the answer to that the forums would be full of it :P

Just look at what happened when T-Mobile announced unlimited data - front page on MoDaCo and Mobiholics nearly crashed under the weight of the extra postings to the T-Mobile section :D

Guest f1ddy
I don't want to put words in Tech's mouth, but I think his point is, if anybody knew the answer to that the forums would be full of it :D

Just look at what happened when T-Mobile announced unlimited data - front page on MoDaCo and Mobiholics nearly crashed under the weight of the extra postings to the T-Mobile section :)

Yeah, suppose.

It's a shame they don't do something like that, but again have to remember it is only t-mobile at the moment (I think), most other providers still charge ?1 per mb. Maybe hopefully others will do it too which will then push Orange into doing it!

Guest sporkguy

If Orange had something in the pipeline - I'd be the last person they would tell :)

One can only hope they're not ignoring tmobile's data package in blind ignorance.

• 1 month later...
Guest pinky123
I'd like to know why Data rates are rediculously high. I have an M5000 and have been using the 'try 3G' for two months now, and have found it great but it will be too expensive after the try ends.

I think the UK operators are making a mistake pricing data so high, sooo many people I know are scared of touching their "Orange World" button or "Vodafone Live" button on their phone cz they link it immediately to high costs. So there'll be people out there who'll never even try it.

I'm gonna be worried when my try period ends because my M5000 has a nasty habit of connecting to the net without me knowing despite trying to close programs that would automatically try to connect. I think there should be an option in the phone to disable it or allow it to ask you 'do you wish to connect?'

Besides that, I'm very happy with Orange's services and products. Especially Orange Care.

Glyn

Thank you someone not slagging off the company i love working for!!

Live very long and prosper

Guest rocks

i have just purchased a n80 on orange and after reading all the neg reports i am havin second thoughts. if i'm right i have a 14 day cooling off period, where i can return the phone. my only worry is will i get a full refund, ie i paid ?50 for the phone , and i also got ?100 credit back by handing in my 6680. will i get my 6680 back.....can anyone please help with this as i only have a few days left till my 14 days runs out..

cheers

stuart

Guest sporkguy
i have just purchased a n80 on orange and after reading all the neg reports i am havin second thoughts. if i'm right i have a 14 day cooling off period, where i can return the phone. my only worry is will i get a full refund, ie i paid ?50 for the phone , and i also got ?100 credit back by handing in my 6680. will i get my 6680 back.....can anyone please help with this as i only have a few days left till my 14 days runs out..

cheers

stuart

hi stuart. you are completely correct in thinking you have a 14 cooloff period, but only in the case that you took the n80 from orange on a brand new connection. if it was an upgrade however, there is a 'no 14day money back' policy in place on all orange upgrades, be they contract or pay as you go. you will notice on your upgrade or new connection paperwork as to whether the salesperson has specified it, or it may be in the small print. hopefully it'll work out for you smile.gif out of curiosity, what do you dislike about the n80? i played with one the other day and i like it a lot more than my bother's 6680.

cheers, sporky (lying in bed with a hangover)

Guest rocks
hi stuart. you are completely correct in thinking you have a 14 cooloff period, but only in the case that you took the n80 from orange on a brand new connection. if it was an upgrade however, there is a 'no 14day money back' policy in place on all orange upgrades, be they contract or pay as you go. you will notice on your upgrade or new connection paperwork as to whether the salesperson has specified it, or it may be in the small print. hopefully it'll work out for you smile.gif out of curiosity, what do you dislike about the n80? i played with one the other day and i like it a lot more than my bother's 6680.

cheers, sporky (lying in bed with a hangover)

hi sporky, thanks for the reply.there is nothing wrong with the phone, well apart from a slightly loose slide, and the more annoying error about low memory, when taking some pics, even though i have a 512 meg card. i think the p[hone is great in all other areas. the reason i was havin second thoughts was about being with orange, based on all the neg feedback they are getting on here. was thinking would i be any better getting the n80 with vodafone. could tell me where i would stand about my trade in phone with orange if i cancell my new contract..

cheers

stu

Guest sporkguy
hi sporky, thanks for the reply.there is nothing wrong with the phone, well apart from a slightly loose slide, and the more annoying error about low memory, when taking some pics, even though i have a 512 meg card. i think the p[hone is great in all other areas. the reason i was havin second thoughts was about being with orange, based on all the neg feedback they are getting on here. was thinking would i be any better getting the n80 with vodafone. could tell me where i would stand about my trade in phone with orange if i cancell my new contract..

cheers

stu

You can get your Buyback phone returned to you from the Orange store you got it from if you go through the 14 day return procedure with them. If a phone trainer who doesnt know what s/he's doing says you can't have it back - ask for the manager, as you CAN have your handset returned (they're only collected once a month, and even then you can request the handset be returned as they are tracked by IMEI).

I wouldn't recommend Vodafone myself, as people I've known have never had good experiences with them. Mind you, they are renowed for being quite unpopular here in the midlands. Perhaps in your area they are a bit better with coverage etc?

I personally would say have a look at Tmobile for size. They may not be getting the N80, but then if you're having issues with it, look at something else. The MDA Vario is a cracking handset, and not too large either.. then there are other great phones like the 6280, N70 etc that Tmobile carry.

They're allegedly having a handset refresh next month, so if I was in your shoes, I'd cancel the Orange contract, have a good look through the competition like o2 and tmobile, and then wait for June to roll around (not long now!).

You can't go far wrong by leaving Orange :)

Hope that helps Stu.

Guest Wildfire

I have been an orange customer now since '99, Recently have set up a limited company, just to keep it easy it hgouht i would phone BCS and ask abot moving my personal account to a Ltd company acc, what a joke...

Yes it's possible, but she couldn't tell me what talkplans were available, or whether i could keep my premier 600 plan, she couldnt' tell how long it would take, or could she tell me what was required to do the transfer!!

I spend about ?250 a month, not a lot i grant you, all i expect in return is to be able to speak to someone who can provide answers.......did i get it, i don't think so

For the Orange staff out there, what can i have as a business customer?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chiz

Hi NzH

What's the future plan with Orange data charges?

I have read this post on MoDaCo, that says you can get 1gb for ?6 that lasts for 40 days (World Cup Offer).

Do you know if there any plans to make this kind of thing available long term, rather than the ?1 per mb deal at the moment?

EDIT: thanks pd.ryder - 1gb

Thanks

Chiz

Guest mobieg

i hear that three italia is doing unlimited data for a set amount of euros a month. so hopefully 3 uk will do it as well then all the other networks will do it too.

Guest sporkguy

AFAIK the thing about 3 UK's 'internet' network has always been a walled garden - as in, you can use as much data as is included in your plan, but none of it reaches the outside world - only 3's dedicated 'multimedia' servers.

I could be wrong though?

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the Orange contact now?

I am gagging for more info on any future data packages and would appreciate anyones knowledge of them.

Guest spacerace
Where is the Orange contact now?

I am gagging for more info on any future data packages and would appreciate anyones knowledge of them.

I think someones already asked about data charges, and the possibility of matching T-Mobiles one price fits all option, he said there were no new announcements coming that he was aware of...