o2 full internet not wap

Guest J273

Guest conan_troutman

O2 do not offer Internet access other than WAP to pay and go customers.

I have asked to have added and put in a formal complaint but was told not enough people want it for them to offer it, but I talk to loads of people who say they were farced to take contracts because of this failing.

I can't knock o2 as a network as I get 300 free texts a month on pay as you go ( I have to top up ?10 same day every month) which with the money I save would give me loads of Internet time.

maybe we should start a petition.

but I am interested in the proxy work round could you elaborate

Guest conan_troutman
' date='Feb 14 2006, 14:02' post='685']The WAP connection includes use of a HTTP proxy.

If you have a device where you can set the browser to use a HTTP proxy (e.g. a Windows Smartphone), then you can enjoy free web access (including server activesync), but not POP3/IMAP mail etc.

P

I have a windows smartphone but its not just browsing the web i want i want to be able to check emails and get weather and updates for my software as well traffic info on tomtom but access is not granted the required sites through wap.

is the a walk through for setting up the http proxy i could follow anywhere

• 4 weeks later...
Guest conan_troutman
Be warned the o2 proxy isn't free anymore. Was great while it lasted!

ok so does no one want to share how to set up this proxy then as we are still none he wiser as how to do it.

my suggetion is to bombard O2 with emails requesting that they make the service available.

I ahve been badegering them for months now and they say they need more people to ask for it not one person repeatredly.

so please get on your o2 website and start annoting them til they give us it.

until then someone please post the proxy work around

settings.

Guest conan_troutman
' date='Mar 13 2006, 10:00' post='1086']I'm a bit confused... what is it you want exactly?

P

i figured it out for those of you that dont know like idid and wnat to know how to get internet access after setting up all the data settings as per O2s web site you then need to open pocken IE go to options untick Automatically detects setting and change the Select network to WAP Network.

you now have the internetvia explorer web based mail can be checked but can not be done via pocket outlook

nor can applets such as fizz weather be updated.

to get these options enabled we must pertition O2 I ring them once a week nagging them and they say that they will look into it if more peoplr request full internet connectiviy on pay and go

i am thinking of using a ghost sim with vodafone to use the internet and use O2 to call and text.

Guest sporkguy

Petitioning won't get you anywhere with a big company like O2 I'm afraid.

It's just something you'll have to live with until they refresh their PAYG, and then maybe just maybe they'll allow you full access.

You could always try Tmob's excellent contracts tho :)

Guest conan_troutman
Petitioning won't get you anywhere with a big company like O2 I'm afraid.

It's just something you'll have to live with until they refresh their PAYG, and then maybe just maybe they'll allow you full access.

You could always try Tmob's excellent contracts tho :)

well if Tmoby can't offer anything like what I have with O2 i get 300 free texts a month plus 1mb of web browsing and downloading free as long as I top up ?10 same day each month

Tmoby offered me 300 free texts but then i have to pay for browsing and calls for ?10 a month which means I pay ?10 up front then get charged for calls aswell meaning I spend ?15 to ?20 a month in total double what I spend with O2 PAYG.

Doesn't seem worth it O2 offered me a similar contract but you can't explain to these people that its more expensive than PAYG I hve the PAYG sim since christmas i top up same day each month and now have ?26.40 credit on my phone as i am a texter not a talker and i struggle to use the 300 free texts.

as for pettioning them maybe it wont work but the people at O2 said they will only consider it if enough people ask for it as most people opt for contacts with smartphone....well they would wouldn't they who would buy a smartphone an opt for a sim that renders half the functions useless. i should of stayed with vodafone and kept spending ?20 amonth instaed at least I had a fully functioning phone

thanks for the reply though.

Guest sporkguy

conan: have you had a look at the Tmobile Flext 20?

If bought online it costs ?15 a month and you get ?34 worth of usage - so in your case, 340 texts, and a free phone :)

Also, it has been rumoured that they're adding an 'unlimited' GPRS bundle next month for ?7.50

Check it out here: http://www.tmobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid...enPricePlan=pmt

Guest conan_troutman
conan: have you had a look at the Tmobile Flext 20?

If bought online it costs ?15 a month and you get ?34 worth of usage - so in your case, 340 texts, and a free phone :)

Also, it has been rumoured that they're adding an 'unlimited' GPRS bundle next month for ?7.50

Check it out here: http://www.tmobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid...enPricePlan=pmt

I checked it out and it looks reasonable but still more expensive than the method i currently use

Thanks any ways.