Orange network/APN changes?

Guest mwright

Guest mwright

For the past couple of years I have been quite happily sending and receiving email using Profimail on my N70. I set the Access Point to orangewap as it has been all along.

About 7-10 days ago I stopped being able to send!

Changing the APN to oreangeinternet means that I can send - but I have to pay for each access because I am on the old Open Access plan that only gives me orangewap rather than internet.

It looks like they have changed something. But I cannot get any decent response from orange Data CS - they just tell me that it would never have worked the way I have set it up and if I want to get any more info I have to call 439 at 50p per minute!

Any ideas anyone?

Anyone else found this?

Cheers

Guest sporkguy
For the past couple of years I have been quite happily sending and receiving email using Profimail on my N70.

You've had the N70 for a couple of years? wow! :)

To solve your problem, try changing the access point back to orangewap - and make sure in the username field you have 'Orange' and no password set.

That sorted it for my N90.

Hope that helps.

Guest mwright
You've had the N70 for a couple of years? wow! :)

Very amusing!

To solve your problem, try changing the access point back to orangewap - and make sure in the username field you have 'Orange' and no password set.

Hang on - in my original post I said I had been using orangewap - I just changed it to orangeinternet to test it. Using orangewap does not work. Tried setting the password - no difference

Wierd that they shoud allow POP3 access but stop SMTP!

Guest mwright
' date='Mar 24 2006, 16:35' post='1388']Using smtp.orange.net right?

Yep - have been all along.

I have not changed anything locally (except the APN for testing)

I feel sure that Orange have changed something. Really pissed off if they have because I gave up my internet package on the strength of a data CS droid telling me I did not need it since orangewap was open!!

Grrrrrrrrr.......

Guest mwright
' date='Mar 24 2006, 16:48' post='1390']Of course, smtp.orange.net could just be broken.

Do you have a SMTP server from your e-mail provider you could try?

P

smtp.orange.net works fine if I change the apn to orangeinternet!

Other smtp servers have been blocked for a while, at least on port 25 - I did try once to change mine but never managed to get that to work properly

Guest sporkguy

Sorry to break it to you mwright, but just changed my APN to orangewap and username to 'orange' and its working perfectly here connecting to the email server as well as the orange world portal.

I doubt they've removed your access to orangewap, as its pretty much an open access connection - perhaps your N70 is acting funny buggers?

Guest mwright
Sorry to break it to you mwright, but just changed my APN to orangewap and username to 'orange' and its working perfectly here connecting to the email server as well as the orange world portal.

I doubt they've removed your access to orangewap, as its pretty much an open access connection - perhaps your N70 is acting funny buggers?

Bums!

Sending (via mtp.orange.net) as well as receiving?

Might be reformat time guess?

Bums!

You're not trying to receive via smtp.orange.net are you? Surely it should be "pop." or "mail." or whatever they use. Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick :)

Guest sporkguy
Bums!

Sending via stmp.* and receiving from pop.* works fine on my D600.

What network mode are you in? as the 3G & GPRS might be causing some problems somewhere.

Guest mwright
Sending via stmp.* and receiving from pop.* works fine on my D600.

What network mode are you in? as the 3G & GPRS might be causing some problems somewhere.

In dual mode.

But things get even more strange whan I start investigating!

If I use orangewap, and smtp.orange.net - it fails.

with orangeinternet, and smtp.orange.net - it works.

with orangewap, and my own smp server - it (sort of) works! - at least it connects to the server

Looks like that are deliberately blocking access to the smtp.orange.net from the orangewap APN.

WHY!! When pop3, Jabber, MSN etc all work with that APN!!

Guest mwright

Ok - I managed to get another smtp server that I use sometimes configured properly and I can use that now.

Still seems a bit strange that Orange should suddenly stop me (surely it cannot be just me - am I that "special"?) from using the smtp server when everything else continues to work.

I might try changing it back after a few days to see if it is just a glitch

Cheers all

Guest flyswat

I am also on the old orange access deal for unlimited wap. I have also been using the wap connection to send and receive e-mails on my phone. However, it stopped working about a week ago.

It may be because orange are doing something with their e-mail. Although according to their website it is not supposed to have any affect on pop/smtp connections, the timing is suspicious. Go to the below link and in the middle of the page click on 'orange email - service outage'

http://www.orange.co.uk/emailandorganise/