Is this a good upgrade deal with T-Mobile?

Guest rockykabir

Guest rockykabir

I'm currently on U-Fix 15 and nearing the end of my contract. Keeping the same number is not of much importance to me to be honest do I don't have to go down the route of upgrading.

Anyway, I've got a call from the T-Mobile upgrades dept on friday on the possibility of upgrading. I can continue with U-Fix and they offered a reduction of ?5 off my monthly line rental.

The saleswoman said it was possible to go to another tariff (i.e. Flext). This works out to be (for Flext 25) : ?25 - [25% discount] - ?5 = ?13.75 monthly.

The problem is, I can upgrade to a new phone (i.e. the Vario) for ?100(!)

Is this a good deal? Or do you think I can bargain further?

- Maybe a further discount from the line rental? or is ?5 off the max they will go?

- Can I reduce the asking price of the phone? I remember reading that a few members on these forums said that they will take out insurance with the phone - resulting in a price reduction. They've even been told that they can cancel the insurance after a "cooling off" period of two weeks or so...can anyone confirm this?

Also, when negotiating with these deals - what discussion points should I bring up to help bring down the cost?

Guest xenzo1990

To be honest, its no difference either way. At the end of the day you pay the same after 12 months, whether that be an expensive phone and cheap priceplan, or an expensive priceplan and cheap phone.

You will probably end up paying the same in the full 12 months.

Guest redvers

Changing to a higher value plan to start with (e.g. Flext ?35) and then down again after 6 months might work out better, and less than the ?100 up-front cost for upgrading. Or find out what it costs for the Vario on a new connection on Flext ?25 on the T-Mobile web page, and if it's cheaper than the upgrade cost, ask them to match the new connection cost! If they refuse, mentioning pac codes or porting usually helps (but not always!).

Guest Swampie
Changing to a higher value plan to start with (e.g. Flext ?35) and then down again after 6 months might work out better, and less than the ?100 up-front cost for upgrading. Or find out what it costs for the Vario on a new connection on Flext ?25 on the T-Mobile web page, and if it's cheaper than the upgrade cost, ask them to match the new connection cost! If they refuse, mentioning pac codes or porting usually helps (but not always!).

I thought you couldn't downgrade your tariff for 11 months when on a T-Mobile 18 month contract? Flext is 18 month only, whereas Relax is 12 month only. I've no idea what the time limit for downgrades on 12 month contracts.

Guest redvers

T-Mobile have changed the downward migration policy to six months - for Flext, they even advertise the fact that you they will do a "best plan check-up" after six months.

Guest moroni
T-Mobile have changed the downward migration policy to six months - for Flext, they even advertise the fact that you they will do a "best plan check-up" after six months.

best plan check up isnt the same as a downward migration though. if you want to actively migrate downwards then you do have to wait till 11 months on flext, but when (if?) they contact you for the check-up then if they allow it you would be able to migrate then.

if i recall its also 11 months on the relax tariffs as well, but not 100% on that, although I am sure a T-mobile staffer could give you that answer :)

Guest rockykabir

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I've decided to go for a new contract...it works out to be a cheaper solution. I'm actually looking around through my friends so that I can get the friends and family discount which will work out to be excellent for my needs.

btw, just in case anyone is able to give the F&F discount, maybe we can sort something out that will benefit both parties? :D

Guest sporkguy
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I've decided to go for a new contract...it works out to be a cheaper solution. I'm actually looking around through my friends so that I can get the friends and family discount which will work out to be excellent for my needs.

btw, just in case anyone is able to give the F&F discount, maybe we can sort something out that will benefit both parties? :P

Churn is your best bet when it comes upto renewal time - changing networks is always the way to go, grab that PAC and get the best value for money going! :D

Good luck with tmobile - I've just applied myself, but still waiting for them to get some Varios back in stock!

Guest sporkguy
I'll be honest... You're not going to get anything more. They won't web match you either I'm afraid.

Spoken like a true employee :)

inetnum: 149.254.0.0 - 149.254.255.255

netname: TMOBILEUK