Disappointed!

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton

Went to the T Mobile shop to get a new contract - Flext 25 and Vario phone. So far so good... until we got to the point where they did a credit check and it declined me!

I knew I have a clean record so I have no idea why. The lady asked me some question and she things it might be related to the mortgage that I was going to take in the next few weeks/months (not even paying anything yet!!)

I went over to CreditCheck website and checked my credit record online, they said mine was "Excellent"

What gives? Why did I get refused?

The lady in the shop told me to come back in 3 months time.

But by then the Flext's 25% discount will end at the end of April!! Unless they extend it...

Anyone got any suggestions?

Guest confucious

I was refused credit when I first moved in here because they did not recognise my new address but soon got that sorted. Could it be somethinhg similar with you?

Guest tsutton
I was refused credit when I first moved in here because they did not recognise my new address but soon got that sorted. Could it be somethinhg similar with you?

I did move house but that was like 11 months ago.

How did you sort it out? All of my bank account are registered under the new address so it should be OK.

Guest impy78
I did move house but that was like 11 months ago.

How did you sort it out? All of my bank account are registered under the new address so it should be OK.

Are you on electoral register at the new address, if not, you will fail the credit check.

Guest tsutton
Are you on electoral register at the new address, if not, you will fail the credit check.

Not sure, how do I check?

And if it's not there, how do I get myself added to it?

Thanks,

Guest sporkguy
Went to the T Mobile shop to get a new contract - Flext 25 and Vario phone. So far so good... until we got to the point where they did a credit check and it declined me!

I knew I have a clean record so I have no idea why. The lady asked me some question and she things it might be related to the mortgage that I was going to take in the next few weeks/months (not even paying anything yet!!)

I went over to CreditCheck website and checked my credit record online, they said mine was "Excellent"

But by then the Flext's 25% discount will end at the end of April!! Unless they extend it...

Strangest thing... this happened to me too 2 weeks ago - I have an impecible credit record, signed upto experian and they scored me 980 out of 1000! Which is classed as excellent as well.

So whats up? I just can't figure it out. I've had to get my sister to take the contract out for me.. which is a pain, because I have to get her to authorise any changes I make :)

Bah, oh well.

[edit] just remembered. when credit checks were carried out for my customers, there were two options - opt in, which could credit check the applicant, plus the whole address - and opt out, which was just the applicant.

Tmobile dont seem to offer the latter - and given that my dad has hewge credit card bills (he's a dentist so he doesnt believe in paying them off straight away!), it may be his foolishness affecting my application?

Just a thought..

Guest pd.ryder

These days Credit Checks are far more 'person specific' than they used to be. I can remember being unable to get any form of credit when listed at a communal address when I was a student. Thankfully, this has changed because many more people are living in shared housing (and tend to stay with parents longer :) ) I can't imagine a parents' credit card having a large balance effecting your own rating, unless you're at the same address and he's in default.

I was hopeful T-Mob weren't going to be too stringent because I've got some arrears. I really don't want to get stuck with good 'ole Orange because no-one else will have me. :D

Guest samsonite

hope you have it sorted by now.. just spotted the thread...

If you have had a number of credit checks done on you in quick succession - including having utility supplier changes - then even tho you have a 'good' score, it will appear that you may be trying to borrow a load of money.. The credit scoring services dont necesserily pass on what you may have applied for.

To this end, some of the more faceless/jittery 'lenders' like mobile phone companies are gonna hold off extending a line of credit to you. Its not something you can do much about becasue it isnt a failure to pay notice thats holding you back. They just dont want the hassle of someone who is possibly in what could be called financial flux!

your best option is to persevere with the actual retail outlet and take as much ID as possible including bills and even bank statements..

Guest tsutton

Thanks. I haven't went back to the shop cause I've been busy. Even if I do go back there tomorrow, the offer would have expired anyway. :)

I'm hoping T Mobile will extend the offer to the end of May bt I haven't heard anything yet...

hope you have it sorted by now.. just spotted the thread...

If you have had a number of credit checks done on you in quick succession - including having utility supplier changes - then even tho you have a 'good' score, it will appear that you may be trying to borrow a load of money.. The credit scoring services dont necesserily pass on what you may have applied for.

To this end, some of the more faceless/jittery 'lenders' like mobile phone companies are gonna hold off extending a line of credit to you. Its not something you can do much about becasue it isnt a failure to pay notice thats holding you back. They just dont want the hassle of someone who is possibly in what could be called financial flux!

your best option is to persevere with the actual retail outlet and take as much ID as possible including bills and even bank statements..

Guest alsicole

You can go back to the store and ask them to do a manual check, especially if you think it's address related.

Both myself and my husband had the same problem when we changed over as we'd just moved into a brand new house that wasn't even on the Post Office database. I went on a business trip to Spain a couple of weeks later and T-Mobile made me pay a hefty deposit to allow me to use my phone abroad because of my so called 'bad credit rating' (I have an excellent credit rating BTW). I paid it because I was already in Spain before I discovered the problem and had given my mobile as the contact for all my meetings. T-Mobile credited it back a month later as soon as my first direct debit payment went through and everything seems fine now.

The new adddress/electoral roll thing is a pain though.

Guest pd.ryder
Thanks everyone... does anyone know if T Mobile will extend the 25% offer after the end of April?
Just checked T-Mobile website - 25% still available this morning and they seem to have Vario's in stock again :)

Guest tsutton

Going back to the shop again today and see how it will go.

I'm armed with all of my IDs, bank statement, creditexpert reports showing that I am 999/1000 "Excellent" rating - hopefully it will be better news.

Someone also said that the first two weeks of a new month, they are relaxed with credit rating and they are more strict after 2 weeks of the new month. So hopefully all will be good today...

Will keep you updated... if the shop is open and the offer is still there, that it!

Guest tsutton

Been to the shop - No Go! :)

The 25% has ended and the guy in the shop was trying to see if I can be on that plan, but his boss said no. I even told him that the website are still doing the 25% discount and he said the site hasn't updated yet and will be removed soon.

Oh well... looks like I have missed out a great offer. :D

Guest tsutton
Oh b*gger!! :)

Indeed... I'm planning to contact T-Mobile and see what they can do. But I don't think they will do anything about it and tell me tough luck.

Waiting for the Summer, which T Mobile said they will do another offer (see threads in here and Modaco) but they didn't say what sort.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tsutton

Well, well, just received a letter from T-Mobile, saying that they have reviewed my application and they are letting me in!

Only have 10 days to get it, otherwise they will have to do a credit check again.

Went back to the shop and was told that Vario is out of stock! They did say they are hoping to have some more by tomorrow, Sat or Monday.

So the wait contiues...

Guest tsutton
Did they give you any indication what had gone wrong, why you'd been rejected?

They said "I am unable to give you specific reason for your application being declined, as our credit scoring policies need to stay confidential. However, I cna tell you that we use Equifax for credit checking and take into account information they may hold as well as the information supplied by yourself on your application."

So, they didn't say why but they did a review and they overturned the decsion and offered me an account with T Mobile.

Guest sporkguy

Well I tried again - this time I got referred and it took them a nice long week to decide.

Then declined me again.

So a legendary member of this forum, Amo, who works for CPW - he ran a credit check on CPW's system for me, and I passed - they even offered me upto 2 handsets!

Now I'm waiting in anticipation for my sim and phone to arrive :D

Already have an SP5 so went for the V3i to give to my little lady to keep her happy :)

Guest pd.ryder

Well, you guys state you've got A1 credit ratings, so I think I'd be wasting my time atm. Looks like I'm stuck with O for the forseeable future.

:):( & frackinell (as they say on BSG)