A bit of a rant r.e. Orange Customer services

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton

As some of you may know, I am deaf so I got the missus to contact Orange to get the PAC code.

She even told them that she is calling on behalf of myself. Orange was OK with it.

They asked for my name, address and password - gave them the details. All OK and got transferred to another dept. Got connected to them, asked for the PAC code. They said they won't give it to her unless I speaks to them! Explained that I am deaf, they still refused and want to talk to me. Duh... not very deaf awareness!

After a bit of arguing, they said they will accept it if I said this "Sutton talking to Jane" (jane being the missus name) over the phone but as being deaf, my voice wasn't very clear. They did say they didn't catch what I was saying but they accepted it anyway. What was the point of that!?

Obviously, it left us distressed about their lack of Deaf Awareness and getting me to talk to them otherwise I won't be able to get the PAC code.

I am not sure if it's worth writing to Orange as I am (well, will be soon) no longer a customer or Orange.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Guest Tech

well obviously orange degrade every minute of the last year! This is really sad and stupid.

If I was you, not only would I write a letter but also perhaps take some legal action as the CS team did not listen to your condition in the first place.

I would also pop into the local orange shop with your wife and tell them the situation as well and say what you are going to do (write a letter, possible legal action too)

the legal action maybe drastic but its the only way to show them who was in the right as they dont care about anything anymore and this can have a bit of a shakeup on them

When writing a letter be sure to send it on special delivery and make sure that you do chase it up, even if its every minute of every day finding out the status.

good luck :)

Guest Wildfire
You might want to contact Ofcom regarding your poor treatment. They have details about how to complain on their site.

Before Ofcom will look at it the complaint has got to go through the correct channels, and that includes going to Orange Executive office.

If you do go to Ofcom they will bounce it back to Orange with a demand to deal with it, go into a shop, ask to speak to someone who can provide you with tha address of the exec office, put pen to paper and explain your story.

They will contact you pretty quickly, by the looks of it they could be in breach of the DDA, this in would allow you to take legal action and result in them getting a hefty fine.

Tut Tut Orange.........

Guest sporkguy
Before Ofcom will look at it the complaint has got to go through the correct channels, and that includes going to Orange Executive office.

If you do go to Ofcom they will bounce it back to Orange with a demand to deal with it, go into a shop, ask to speak to someone who can provide you with tha address of the exec office, put pen to paper and explain your story.

They will contact you pretty quickly, by the looks of it they could be in breach of the DDA, this in would allow you to take legal action and result in them getting a hefty fine.

Tut Tut Orange.........

Orange shops don't have access to the Exec Office address, only the customer correspondence address.

I am frankly disgusted with the way they have treated you tsutton - making you jump though hoops like a dog.

My dad is completely deaf also - but he's lucky enough to have me at home still to help him with stuff like this. Only recently I had to pretend to be my dad to ntl because they refused to let my mum handle a ridiculous billing issue.

I'd get onto the BDA(http://www.britishdeafassociation.org.uk/) if I were you - they like to hear of such issues and approach the companies directly.

best of luck mate.

Guest creamhackered

That's a little out of order :) Might be worth speaking to Paul at MoDaCo. He may be able to contact Orange on your behalf regarding this and get some kind of apology and stance on where they stand for things like this.

Guest pd.ryder

Just when you think they can't sink any lower...

I bet they didn't make you jump through hoops when you signed the contract. I imagine they were polite and courteous, probably confirming their CS would treat you with dignity and respect.

Arseholes to 'em. Complain to the big cheese at the top and please let us know how you get on. :)

Guest Tech

I told my uncle about this story too today and he was also disgusted - and he is in the middle of changing to a different network, as we all have and he has orange

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Firstly - Tech, what legal action would you suggest? This is absolutely nothing to do with the law.

Secondly - (all) CSR's have to cover their backs, what would you say if someone called up and "stole" your number because they let the thief go "just this once...".

Thats the O defence bit. In your defence the first CSR did their best under the circumstances imho, the second clearly less so, we all know that out of the thousands of CSR's there are some bad eggs and training needs to be improved in this area. Orange it seems are lacking here and the best thing you can do is let them know via letter or email. Unless they're aware of issues like this nothing will improve!

Firstly - Tech, what legal action would you suggest? This is absolutely nothing to do with the law.

That's a pretty sad attitude to take. I don't know whether this particular case is covered, but the behaviour tsutton described is clearly discriminatory, and laws exist to prevent that. As tsutton notes, for a communications company to have absolutely no deaf awareness support is shocking.

Yes, account security shouldn't be compromised - but that's not really the point here. I'll spare on throwing insults your way, but you really should think through your own attitudes to this.

Guest pinky123

Hi. I am here to put the record straight. I work for Orange and we use a system called "talk type". I am sure if you are deaf you would have heard of it. This means that if a deaf individual wishes to hold a conversation it can be relayed through a third party. All of us that work at orange have heard the same thing. " i have been given auth to speak to yourselves".

Most times this is genuine but it can also be used if a person is wanting to acsess a account with the intent of fraud. Would you like it if it happened to you? I think not and who would you blame? Us of course. We are only doing our job.

:)

Your aggressive attitude & total lack of sensitivity fills me with confidence. Thank you and well done sir, I'm glad you've set the record straight - now we all know.

Guest impy78
Hi. I am here to put the record straight. I work for Orange and we use a system called "talk type". I am sure if you are deaf you would have heard of it. This means that if a deaf individual wishes to hold a conversation it can be relayed through a third party. All of us that work at orange have heard the same thing. " i have been given auth to speak to yourselves".

Most times this is genuine but it can also be used if a person is wanting to acsess a account with the intent of fraud. Would you like it if it happened to you? I think not and who would you blame? Us of course. We are only doing our job.

I also work in a call centre and understand what you are saying to be true - but why the attitude in here? The guy is deaf, not a criminal.

You may or may not have noticed, but this a public forum, where people can have rants whether you feel them to justified or not. He is having a rant, not at you, but at your company - just because it is the correct procedure doesn't make it fair. He is ranting about the procedure your COMPANY has in place. Unless you invented that procedure, I would suggest he has nothing against you.

You need to seperate people's opinion of the company you work for (and probably get treated like rubbish by), and people's opinions of you or you will seriously have a nervous breakdown when you get a real gobshite on the phone who IS insulting you personally.

And please, the phrase "I'm only doing my job" is the one phrase that is guarranteed to p*ss off the customer more and make them think you are a drone with no opinions that deviate from that of Orange PLC.

Guest tsutton

While I know you are trying to defend your company, it makes no difference at all. If you read back to my comment, I was forced to talk out my name. Now think about it, if I made my call via Typetalk, how will this work? How do I tell out my name via Typetalk? But then, you wouldn't ask me to say out my name anyway and you would just accept the call via TypeTalk.

Typetalk is a service where I call via middle person to commate with Orange.

So is my missus who is the middle person to communicate with Orange.

So what is the difference between TypeTalk and my missus? Why single out my missus and not TypeTalk?

Thank you.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)
That's a pretty sad attitude to take. I don't know whether this particular case is covered, but the behaviour tsutton described is clearly discriminatory, and laws exist to prevent that. As tsutton notes, for a communications company to have absolutely no deaf awareness support is shocking.

Yes, account security shouldn't be compromised - but that's not really the point here. I'll spare on throwing insults your way, but you really should think through your own attitudes to this.

I have already said i was in no way condoning the actions of the second CSR, and it sounds like he was undertrained, rather than the CSR in question actively discriminating against tsutton.

I am sorry to hear that tsutton was left distressed by the ordeal, and was not attempting to say that he should feel anything otherwise due to it. I simply think that the immediate course of action to be taking Orange to court is a little ridiculous, when it can easily be resolved by other means.