T-Mobile banning IM on Web 'n Walk is like...

Guest finisterre

Guest confucious
well i'm using the new Windows Live Messenger Mobile Beta on my phone and it's working fine on T-Mobile. If they call me then i'll explain that Pocket MSN is installed by default on my phone.

Is there a public Beta out yet? Is it any good?

I'm sure most people will just use MSN as it's installed on their phone anmd won't have a clue that it's supposed to be banned.

Guest Pondrew
I got my Pro 4 weeks ago - just squeezed my order in before the end of April to get the discount but had to wait another 2 weeks before delivery. Pocket MSN w/Messenger was installed.

Good news. That lack of Pocket MSN on the Pro when it was launched made no sense...

Guest creamhackered
Is there a public Beta out yet? Is it any good?

I'm sure most people will just use MSN as it's installed on their phone anmd won't have a clue that it's supposed to be banned.

I don't believe it's "public" yet. it's on connect an invite only but most people haven't been accepted yet and it's only MSN butterflies etc that are on the program at the moment.

As for the app, yes it's great. A few things are annoying because it always syncs the contacts from MSN into your contacts on the phone and then onto Exchange if you use it! This can be v.annoying as you get duplicate contacts and contacts you didn't want within Outlook. It also syncs to Exchange everytime someone changes their status so if you have a lot of contacts you'll find it syncs a lot. On the plus side you can now see peoples contact pictures, emoticons (not custom), send files/pictures and voice recordings and view people's spaces. It's a great client but needs a lot of work like Windows Live Messenger did.

Guest sporkguy
I don't believe it's "public" yet. it's on connect an invite only but most people haven't been accepted yet and it's only MSN butterflies etc that are on the program at the moment.

As for the app, yes it's great. A few things are annoying because it always syncs the contacts from MSN into your contacts on the phone and then onto Exchange if you use it! This can be v.annoying as you get duplicate contacts and contacts you didn't want within Outlook. It also syncs to Exchange everytime someone changes their status so if you have a lot of contacts you'll find it syncs a lot. On the plus side you can now see peoples contact pictures, emoticons (not custom), send files/pictures and voice recordings and view people's spaces. It's a great client but needs a lot of work like Windows Live Messenger did.

Yeah, I'm testing WML as well. I was in the first beta test (the one where testers got that non-slip driving matt for their phones embossed wit the logo when testing was complete - nice little gift if you ask me) and they invited me to come back and do it again.

Liking what I see so far, its very promising.

Guest creamhackered
Yeah, I'm testing WML as well. I was in the first beta test (the one where testers got that non-slip driving matt for their phones embossed wit the logo when testing was complete - nice little gift if you ask me) and they invited me to come back and do it again.

Liking what I see so far, its very promising.

Yeah that was a bit of a different beta. This is Mobile 10.7 beta.

If you've been accepted then post in the microsoft.beta.mobile10_7.general ng and say hello as there's not that many of us yet.

Guest marcwic
Muggy - can you confirm your ROm / Radio versions etc?

Thanks

My MDA Vario has MSN installed. I am waiting for a ROM upgrade to fix the random reboots. I might not take the chance now, and instead go with imate's ROM if t-mobile resort to restrictions.

Vodafone restrict many of their phones so you can't set MP3 files as ringtones (in the hope that people buy songs from their store instead). It just makes me want to set my PDA to download pointless junk when its charging, just to get my money's worth! Come on, if you sell someone 40mb a month (or unlimited as it is now) you can't go making it limited!

Guest alsicole

I've recently done a hard reset on my Vario and not installed the extended T-Mobile ROM. Pocket MSN with MSN Messenger is still there, so it looks like it's a standard part of the Windows Mobile ROM.

Guest nevawlkalone

I've heard that the only tarrif that its being banned on is the Web 'N' Walk on the data cards not on the phones.

I may be wrong but i hope im not as this is the main reason i am moving to T-Mob...WnW and the hermes!

EDIT: Emailed T-Mob will post reply when i recieve it

Guest creamhackered
I've recently done a hard reset on my Vario and not installed the extended T-Mobile ROM. Pocket MSN with MSN Messenger is still there, so it looks like it's a standard part of the Windows Mobile ROM.

Yes and no but T-Mobile have the ability to remove Pocket MSN from their devices.

Guest impy78
T-mobile's repsonse was that msn was banned and the fact that msn is installed on my MDA is an oversight, which is "beyond their control".

I posted this a few posts ago, but I don't think anyone has seen it - i have had confirmation from T-mobile that instant messanger is banned from use on their unlimited web and walk plans - I have confrimed this with 3 different ops now.

Guest marcwic
I posted this a few posts ago, but I don't think anyone has seen it - i have had confirmation from T-mobile that instant messanger is banned from use on their unlimited web and walk plans - I have confrimed this with 3 different ops now.

I am on the web and walk 40mb tafif (IMO, 40mb is a good as unlimited on a phone!) am I allowed to use MSN?

Guest pd.ryder
I am on the web and walk 40mb tafif (IMO, 40mb is a good as unlimited on a phone!) am I allowed to use MSN?
Not according to their T&C's, no, you're not. Seems right silly to most people.

Guest Shaunfarris

I recently looked at changing from Orange to T Mobile purely because of the Web N Wlak for ?7.50, but on reading all the small print decided against it due to the fact that so many wbe features were banned. like video and audio streaming, it just comes across as a complete gimmick to try and get customers using the web, but how many people ONLY view web pages and dont download anyhing at all.

Guest confucious

I use the web a lot - just don't stream or use VoIP - apart from that you can do anything (incl downloading files).

Never beeen a problem for me and I certainly couldn't afford the amount of data I use on any other network!

Guest dr who
I recently looked at changing from Orange to T Mobile purely because of the Web N Wlak for ?7.50, but on reading all the small print decided against it due to the fact that so many wbe features were banned. like video and audio streaming, it just comes across as a complete gimmick to try and get customers using the web, but how many people ONLY view web pages and dont download anyhing at all.

You could always pay ?10 for the completely unlimited package, other than VoIP obviously.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest noobywankenooby
You could always pay ?10 for the completely unlimited package, other than VoIP obviously.

10 quid for what unlimited package?, i thought t-mobile only do the 7.50 package??

Guest sporkguy
10 quid for what unlimited package?, i thought t-mobile only do the 7.50 package??

they also do a ?10 'pro' web n walk alternative, which allows use of the phone to power a laptop's internet and a few other differences.