Connecting to Republic of Ireland roaming partner when in UK

Guest travisb

Guest travisb

Having had no signal at work on Friday, I now find I have an even bigger problem at home. We live between Pwllheli and Nefyn at the end of the Lleyn Peninsula in North Wales. Reception is not great in the house (I can only get a signal with the phone in our bedroom window :D ). 100 yards down the road, however is no problem.

Now I'm starting to get texts telling me I'm roaming with Meteor, who are T-Mob's Republic of Ireland partner.

This is a potential nightmare.

What can I do?

I do have a pay as you go orange phone, which has a good signal, but this isn't the point. If someone rings me on my T-Mob number, I'll end up picking up part of the costs.

Seems ironic that I can pick up a roaming partners signal in the UK better than T-Mobile itself. :)

Guest travisb
Start->Settings->Phone->Network

Change Network Selection to manual.

Good call Confucious, but doesn't answer the question of why I'm connecting to an Irish roaming partner while in the UK. Doesn't say much for the T-Mobile coverage in my part of the world does it? :)

Guest confucious
Good call Confucious, but doesn't answer the question of why I'm connecting to an Irish roaming partner while in the UK. Doesn't say much for the T-Mobile coverage in my part of the world does it? :)

No, coverage varies - can't be perfect everywhere!

Guest martley

I have been to that part of Wales and there was no problem with the signal. Indeed, I drive all over the UK wth hardly any problems. Anyway, call T-Mobile on 150 and ask them to sort it out. Give them the postcode of where you are and they can check the cell. Also they wll check it at the site if you make a note of the times you have probelms, and report it to them. You should obvioualy not be getting a roaming signal. The phone will only call from a distance away if there is a problem with the local cell.

Guest travisb

Got a very apologetic e-mail from T-Mobile, who while telling me to do what Confucious already had, could not give me any definite answer as to when (if) they are improving the signal in this part of the world (it's much patchier that the other networks).

Guest travisb

Here's a brief synopsis of T-Mobile's response to the coverage in my area:

Yes, we know it's useless.

No, we don't intend doing anything about it.

Have a nice day

Guest confucious

No provider can get coverage in every area and they have to work out the economies of doing so in your area, guess you're just unlucky.

Guest confucious
At least they wished you a nice day, Orange would just tell you to s*d off.

lol - it would be funnier if it weren't true!

Guest travisb
At least they wished you a nice day, Orange would just tell you to s*d off.

Oh the irony!

Back in the days when Orange cared for its customers, they stuck a load of transmitters up around here. Consequently they got loads of new customers on the back of it.

T-Mobile always seem to have the worse coverage when it come to rural districts (in my experience). Good job I work in a more urban (and therefore more profitable) part of the world. :)