Vario II freezes on T-Mobile 3G

Guest Cowie

Guest sjeffrey

Hi, I am another user experiencing the same issues.

Sometimes it will lock up all together, and other times, the buttons completely stop working, ie the touch screen will, but the wheel, send/end buttons all stop.

I am wondering is everyone that's experiencing these problems using push email? or have people tried without?

Also has anyone tried loading a different firmware onto the device, maybe imate do one?

Is this issue happening on all the different networks, or just tmobile?

Regards

Stu

Guest Buddhaah
Bloody 'ell - the callback came at 6.32! I am literally speechless at how professionally TMob deal with technical issues on their network.

Sadly it would seem there is a local 3G blackspot just where I work, which is most likely causing the issue I am seeing. As predicted using GSM only cured the problem. I am off to download the switching app. Anyone know if I can schedule the GSM/UMTS changeover for work hours only?

Who,

while I appreciate T-Mobile's work ethic, I am still rather dumbstruck by the amount of bad rep that particular handset seems to be getting...

While switching to GSM for prolonged periods of time might be acceptable to some T-Mobile customers, there are certainly those of us out there, who rely on the 3G capabilitites of the VarioII - therefore operating the handset in GPRS mode simply isn't acceptable, especially if you rely on the phone for business.

On top of that, T-Mobile claiming that it's because of a network dead spot is a bit of a threadbare response. I understand that you have had the same problem, as described by all others here, ie intermittent, random crashes, which impact on subscriber availability and limit the phone's usefulness.

My gripe with this whole thing is: how is it that a handset crashes so often, just because it (or the network respectively) can't handle a simple GSM/3G handover? Surely that must be the most BASIC feature a 3G phone should be able to handle.

I appreciate T-Mobile approaching their customers in a proactive manner - but that still doesn't solve the main issue: that there is either a serious bug in the VarioII's firmware/OS or that T-Mobile's network uses a handover process/sequence/whatever that causes the VarioII to crash.

After reading all the posts in this thread. There seems to be only one solution to the issue: T-Mobile first giving more prominence to the issue, recognising it as a general, widespread problem with this handset and taking action to remedy it. In this case that would mean rolling out a FW update asap and/or them upgrading their network to improve the handling of handset re-registration into a network cell (or GSM/3G handover, respectively).

Still, good to know T-Mobile are not treating their customer's like arses as a general rule!

Budd

To be fair I only get the problem that I can't receive calls - no lockups. It also ONLY happens when I am at work, nowhere else, so I am willing to believe there is a signal problem where I work. My problem may well be different from the other posters here suffering from lockups? Might be worth encouraging TMob to issue an AKU3.3 update?

Guest Buddhaah
To be fair I only get the problem that I can't receive calls - no lockups. It also ONLY happens when I am at work, nowhere else, so I am willing to believe there is a signal problem where I work. My problem may well be different from the other posters here suffering from lockups? Might be worth encouraging TMob to issue an AKU3.3 update?

I'd be all for it. Question is how do you get this to T-Mobile? And how do you convince them that that's a general problem that many people seem to be having?

If their tech assistance is as good as you have claimed, someone should perhaps send them a link to this post. With a little luck, if might grab somebody's attention.

Mike

I'd be all for it. Question is how do you get this to T-Mobile? And how do you convince them that that's a general problem that many people seem to be having?

If their tech assistance is as good as you have claimed, someone should perhaps send them a link to this post. With a little luck, if might grab somebody's attention.

Mike

I think that the biggest problem in getting this resolved is that WM6 is imminent with the promise of shiny new handsets. It's a numbers game and the operators don't see a profit in spending time trying to fix difficult problems when they can just bring out a new handset. I hope I'm wrong but I suspect that T-Mobile will never bring out a firmware update for the Vario II :) (please prove me wrong T-Mobile).

I would be surprised if no firmware revision was released. I would expect to see the AKU3.3 ROM released at some point, although not WM6, and it might take an age. As you say they will use WM6 to push new handsets but AKU3.3 should bring stability to the platform = happier customer = less use of customer service and more contract renewals = $$$$.

I might phone back and see if there are any plans to release the update in the near future. I am waiting to swap in one of my handsets that has the realignment problem until I can get one with the update already on it.

Mine is also suffering from this problem now as well.

Strangely enough it never used to though to the degree it does now and it coincides with a hard reset and re-install I needed to do to get rid of a problem with progs automatically contacting the net. Before the hard reset I'd say I got a lockup probably once every 2 months or less, now I'm on a par with other posters and can be suffering 3-4 a day.

Roll on the ROM upgrade, although like previous ROM upgrades for other devices it will no doubt fix some issues and present you with new ones, hopefully less annoying ones though.

Guest Buddhaah
Mine is also suffering from this problem now as well.

Strangely enough it never used to though to the degree it does now and it coincides with a hard reset and re-install I needed to do to get rid of a problem with progs automatically contacting the net. Before the hard reset I'd say I got a lockup probably once every 2 months or less, now I'm on a par with other posters and can be suffering 3-4 a day.

Roll on the ROM upgrade, although like previous ROM upgrades for other devices it will no doubt fix some issues and present you with new ones, hopefully less annoying ones though.

I think what I will do is to simply email T-Mobile about that.

I want to go with the Vario II.

I want to go with a T-Mobile tariff.

I want to pay them my hard-earned money for that, but unless their techies get on this, I simply won't bother.

I can't have a phone - be it as versatile as it may - that goes south 4 times a day. On the other hand, the VarioII would be an ideal phone for me. I'm torn, here, and frustrated. I can only imagine what this must be like for those, who actually have BOUGHT the phone in the first place.

So, I've forwarded the link to this thread to T-Mobile phones helpdesk. The only address I found was:

[email protected] , so here's hoping they forward it to their tech department.

They won't see my custom, unless they seriously get going on ironing out those bugs. That's my tuppence.

I have attached the email below:

Hello,

I am a potential T-Mobile customer and VERY interested in the MDA Vario II. Unfortunately, I am inclined to withhold from signing up with your company for the following reason:

I post on UK smartphone forum "MODACO", which has a particularly damning forum discussion as concerns the MDA Vario II.

You will be able to find this discussion at

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=250460 . I would like to bring this to your attention, as I think there are problems with this handset for many, MANY users out there. These are major, general and NOT just isolated incidents.

I would like to get this phone from you. I would love to pay you money. But so far, the long-term problems with the Vario II seem to be major and I am simply unwilling to pay for a phone that doesn't do what I want to buy it for.

I would be grateful to you, if you could forward this email to your tech department, so they can have a look at the barrage of problems people seem to be having with this phone. This ranges from several crashes a day to people being unreachable on their mobile, because of the latter. It happens all over the country.

Surely, you at T-Mobile want to keep your existing customers happy, as well as to gain new custom. The people at this forum are tech-savvy and competent. If I can make any advice, it would be to sit someone from your smartphone tech assistance down in front of a PC and make him read all the problems people have been having with this handset. As to the action you might want to take, I see a fair chance a recent firmware upgrade might solve some, if not all, of the problems.

Of course, it is at your leisure to make this upgrade available to your customers.

One other thing: T-Mobile tech support has a relatively good reputation, as you will be able to read from some of the posts on the forum. Please regard this email as a genuine and well-meant hint - not as a rant. I am sure you will want to react on this and let the community know, you live up to your name as supportive to your existing, as well as your future customers.

Many thanks for reading this far. Much appreciated.

Yours,

Budd

I have to say Bud that the Vario II has surprised my by how stable and just how good it is for first edition ROM. Granted there are a few users reporting some serious problems, the screen alignment and lockups are the two most serious, but one of my handsets has neither problem and the other one has relatively minor screen problems and the transient phone call problems detailed above. Mine were both from the very first batch of TMob handsets.

Guest Buddhaah
I have to say Bud that the Vario II has surprised my by how stable and just how good it is for first edition ROM. Granted there are a few users reporting some serious problems, the screen alignment and lockups are the two most serious, but one of my handsets has neither problem and the other one has relatively minor screen problems and the transient phone call problems detailed above. Mine were both from the very first batch of TMob handsets.

Who,

I googled up this forum here and started reading with my mind set 100% on the VarioII. Of course it is difficult to ascertain how many happy owners there are out there - they have no reason to post in a tech forum, do they?

But what got me to write my email was the frequency of users saying: "yup, same problem", as concerns for instance the GSM/3G handover problem.

It just seemed to be a general trend that people who had had the VarioII for less than 3 months were unconditionally happy with its reliability - and that all of a sudden (see Rob.P's post) things started going haywire. People report going through 3 or 4 handsets - again not just one isolated incident, but confirmed by one or two others. Others wrote that they couldn't be reached, because their phone had crashed. I know: transient problem. But isn't that the one TOTALLY critical function any mobile should handle flawlessly, without the need for a reset?

I appreciate that you are happy with your phone. Can I suggest that it might be because of the fact that it is apparently from one of the very first production batches. But if that is the case, then HTC - and hence T-Mobile - have a quality assurance problem on their hands and also need to do something about that.

I am frustrated here. Great, functional handset, but (admittedly based on what I read in this and other forums) still not mature enough to be reliable.

Budd

Edited by Buddhaah

Guest Buddhaah
I am frustrated here. Great, functional handset, but (admittedly based on what I read in this and other forums) still not mature enough to be reliable.

Of course, I'd be happy to be persuaded otherwise!

Edited by Buddhaah

Guest burnsnet

I too am suffering from this problem and I have to reboot my phone at least 3 times a day. I've lived with it up until know (since Nov 2006) but I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated about things. Incidentally I do have a genuine San Disk 2GB memory card in my phone and I've tried the phone with and without the card all with no difference.

How do I contact T-Mobile i.e. what number do I dial from my handset as I'd like to get this sorted, if possible?!?

Thanks

James

I have forced my vario 2 into GSM only so I can at least get a reliable GPRS connection to check emails etc.

However, I am completely missing calls. People tell me that they call me but it either doesn't get through or it rings and never goes to voicemail. I know I am in an area with good signal strength so this is rather annoying - I have no idea how many calls I am missing....

Guest pd.ryder

Ok guys. I'm in France atm, roaming with Orange. The problem remains as prevalent as ever so I would sumise this is not a T-Mobile network issue, but a Vario II issue. I have continued to have as many lock-ups while here as I do at home, unless I have it avoid Standby mode altogether. I have had to soft reset for other troubles which may well be related, esp when trying to access the hotel wifi (tries to go 3G route ignoring wifi).

So there. I'm in Disneyland, you're not :)

Ok guys. I'm in France atm, roaming with Orange. The problem remains as prevalent as ever so I would sumise this is not a T-Mobile network issue, but a Vario II issue. I have continued to have as many lock-ups while here as I do at home, unless I have it avoid Standby mode altogether. I have had to soft reset for other troubles which may well be related, esp when trying to access the hotel wifi (tries to go 3G route ignoring wifi).

So there. I'm in Disneyland, you're not :)

Ryder, I think the wifi problem occurs when you input the wifi data 'manually'. Unless the SSID is turned off let the Vario II discover available networks and then fill in the details. For some reason that will then have priority over the 3G. I think someone found another way round this to work with manually inputting the info but I forget the details.

Are the lockups occurring on plain vanilla handsets with no memory card inserted? Impractical I know but would implicate hardware or I guess operator ROM since there seem to be no 3100 complainants.

Are the lockups occurring on plain vanilla handsets with no memory card inserted? Impractical I know but would implicate hardware or I guess operator ROM since there seem to be no 3100 complainants.

Yes, lockups occur on vanilla handsets without any card or additional software being loaded (or at least it does on the two that I've had). Had my worse day ever with it yesterday - locked up on my way to a customer and I didn't notice for a couple of hours, when I thought I'd better check it. Reset it, then had a call come through within a couple of minutes "Hello - I've been trying to call you but your phone just rings and rings..." at least it didn't do the "you have dialled an incorrect number". Then whilst mid conversation the damn thing locked up again - no noise, nothing, just a dead handset. Reset once more and two minutes later it had locked up yet again (at this point I was contemplating removing the SIM and seeing how far I could throw it). Reset again and it's been fine for the past 33 hours!

Getting a bit tired of this.

Guest Buddhaah

Hey all,

You might want to know that I have received a very friendly, swift and cooperative response from T-Mobile to my original email to them about the Vario II (see here).

I am well impressed by this answer, actually. Let's hope that their tech department is as forthcoming as their customer care / helpdesk!

I am copying the email I have received from them below. So far: Well done, T-Mobile!

Hello Michael

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with information about the MDA Vario II and it problems.

I'm delighted to hear you're thinking of becoming a customer and I'm sure you'll be enjoying our services soon.

I'd just like to tell you, that l've passed your information on to our technical department and this will be addressed as soon as possible.

Thanks again Michael, for taking the time to contact me I hope this information puts your mind at rest.

Please feel free to contact us again, if you have any further queries or questions.

Kind regards

[DELETED THE NAME FOR CONFIDENTIALITY PURPOSES; Mike]

Customer Services Email Team

T-Mobile

Guest pd.ryder

@Buddhaah,

I have to admire your confidence in T, but it sounds like corporate bull to me - I'm sure 'will be addressed as soon as possible' translates as 'sign here please Mr New Customer', but then I'm a cynical old fart!

I'll be on to Tech Support myself tomorrow now I'm back from France and have more info to provide on this issue.

@Dr Who

The wifi connection was largely problem free and dealt with automatically by the VII. I did find it annoying that I needed to sign-in to the Orange wifi every time I wanted to use it. I felt it should have been able to recognise me after the initial login. Trying to use 3G instead of wifi needed a careful eye and could have cost me big money, but was sorted by a soft reset and subsequent connections saw the wifi straight away.

:)

I'll be on to Tech Support myself tomorrow now I'm back from France and have more info to provide on this issue.

It would appear to be either an operator ROM issue or network issue, since no-one here seems to own a 3100. Might be worth making that point. Luckily for me when my two handsets arrived back in August the one I gave my missus, who tends to throw things when they go wrong, doesn't have the screen alignment problem or any network problems. Since she uses her phone a LOT this is a good thing for both of us, but would also indicate the problem is localised (i.e. network?), at least for us, since she works in a different part of town. Unless it is a harware failure in certain handsets but that woud affect the 3100's as well wouldn't it? The HERM300 variant is only externally different, non?

Guest pd.ryder

I'm waiting for Tech Support to return a call. I was amazed that after (again) having to explain the problem to the chappie on the 'front desk', he spoke to Tech Support then rang me back with the following advice:-

"This is a very odd fault. Visit the T-Mobile shop in Glousester, explain the problem to the shop staff and see if they can help you. Get them to ring us if there's any difficulty."

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh ;)

As if taking time out of work, waiting in a queue, explaining the problem several times using words of one syllable or less to someone who can't be bothered to listen cus there's no commission involved, and then doing it all over again to the Customer Services Rep on the phone will make any difference at all.

I declined his kind advice and insited Tech Support contact me directly. I expect I'll get the usual "You're the only person in the world to have this issue..." stuff and I'll point 'em here and they won't read it...

[some time later... ok, they just rang me...]

I've got through all the usual dippy questions without too much difficulty and eventually Tech Support chap ran out of ideas and has gone off to talk to T's 'supply chain' to chase up the HTC ROM update I questioned him about. He'll ring me back...

At least they do ring back Orange... if you're listening...

:D

Guest pd.ryder

Well, I've had more calls from T than I can shake a stick at, including the Repair & Distribution Dept. They are proposing to recall my VII and investigate it further. They also propose to 'update the software' too. I did ask what software they would update, but the poor girl had a t-t-terrible st-t-tutter and couldn't really explain herself too well. The more questions I asked, the more she st-t-tuttered and was really flumoxed by questions relating to ROM updates and if there was one available, why wasn't it available to customers.

My current Version is WM5.1.195, ROM 1.21.110.3, ROM date 06/19/06, Radio 1.05.05.00 & Protocol version 32.36.7010.04H

I'll see what comes back and if the problem is sorted or not. At least something is happening now.

;)

Really, dealing with TMob is like having the scales fall from my eyes as an ex-Orange customer. OK, they might not be able to help but I had a single chap deal with my complaint, from the technical department and all, and he phoned me back a number of times as he promised. My phone might have a couple of niggles but I pay 33% less for 250% minutes with unlimited data, get through to CS almost instantly and get to speak to the technical department, who seem to be actively working on the problem and fulfill their promises.

If they have the AKU3.3 update up their sleeves my phone is going back.

Are they offering a replacement phone whilst the investigation is under way, Ryder?

Guest pd.ryder
Are they offering a replacement phone whilst the investigation is under way, Ryder?

Yup - I've no idea what it will be tho, but the lady from Repair & Distribution even rang the T shop in Gloucester to ensure they had one available. "They don't normally reserve a replacement," she said "and I had to say please, but they have one set aside for you ready for tomorrow."

Wow ;)

How would I identify if its had the AKU3.3 update? What does this relate to, ROM or Radio?

:D

Edited by pd.ryder

Its a ROM revision, but I think the bootloader and radio will probably be part of the update. AFAIK it is not ready for release yet but be interested to see what software update they are referring to.

Guest spiderboy

Well at last it is farewerll to the Hermes. After the fifth replacement and the Repair & Distribution analysing the problem they have identified that this cannot be fixed and they are looking at a recall. I have selected the MDA compact III for now and was promised that when they bring out a replacement for the Vario II in the summer I can have first option at that. That is all I can do for now I guess, but it is more important running my own business that I have a phone that customers can call me on rather than 3G and Wi-Fi to be honest. Good luck to all of you and I will keep a keen eye on this thread to see what happens to the Vario II.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a Brodit Active Car Holder for the Vario II, as I am selling mine one ebay after less than a months use, so still almost brand new, let me know.