Vario II freezes on T-Mobile 3G

Guest Cowie

Guest Aidan Bree
Hi Cowie,

I must admit, the prospect of installing another ROM (especially with WM6 available) has crossed my mind as I used to have the same handset on Orange which did not have the same issue. The problem I have is selecting which updated ROM to go with.

I would be interested to know which one you decided to go with and how you got the operator settings for t-mobile installed. I remember doing a ROM upgrade to the XDA years ago and footering with MMS settings for days!

How long have you been trying the new upgraded ROM?

Cheers

Aidan

Ahhhhhhhh......guess what......It just crashed again!......HELP!

Guest Cowie
Ahhhhhhhh......guess what......It just crashed again!......HELP!

Here isn't really the place to discuss. Everything you need to know is over at XDA Developers Forum. But be aware that you will probably invalidate any warranty and risk converting your handset into an expensive paper-weight.

Guest pd.ryder
...and risk converting your handset into an expensive paper-weight.

:( :) :) Ha-ha-ha-ha!!

Like it isn't already!!! ;)

Just to add - I've had no lock-ups since removing the M:Meter software from MPanel. I've had other issues such as the keyboard refusing to work (spacebar opens menu but nothing else works :D ) and looking at my bill today it seems I've texted 3 international numbers that aren't in my Contacts list and I've no recollection of manually inputting a number into a text's 'To' field in over 10 years! Never had the need to do that.

:)

Guest Aidan Bree
:( :) :) Ha-ha-ha-ha!!

Like it isn't already!!! ;)

Just to add - I've had no lock-ups since removing the M:Meter software from MPanel. I've had other issues such as the keyboard refusing to work (spacebar opens menu but nothing else works :D ) and looking at my bill today it seems I've texted 3 international numbers that aren't in my Contacts list and I've no recollection of manually inputting a number into a text's 'To' field in over 10 years! Never had the need to do that.

:)

I have an intermitant issue with the P,L,O and delete keys not working most of the time on my handset. I was presuming that this is a hardware issue rather than software?

Guest stevem999
and looking at my bill today it seems I've texted 3 international numbers that aren't in my Contacts list and I've no recollection of manually inputting a number into a text's 'To' field in over 10 years! Never had the need to do that.

;)

I think these international numbers are something to do with M-Panel - they're the ones they send with the links etc to get you started. I seem to recall a thread about why these were chargeable when they weren't meant to be but I reasoned that they cost me 60p or something and I get £15 and another £5 per month.

My lock-up problems and 3G connection problems seem to have stopped now and I think they were all down to T-Mob's 3G network having issues. My signal strength is 4/5 and 3G has been solid for days now. I still have M-Panel installed and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Guest pd.ryder
I think these international numbers are something to do with M-Panel - they're the ones they send with the links etc to get you started.

I installed the software from a previous download saved to my mini-SD card so I don't know how that would occur. It's the 3rd or 4th time I've had to install it and I've not had these international charges previously. Curious ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob.P

My Vario 2 had been fine since my last post in this thread, but now I'm back to soft reset by removing the battery, also I have noticed that 3G signal in my area has started switching back to GPRS quite a lot recently, so I'm convinced the 2 are linked.

Hopefully T-Mob will hurry and stop mucking about with the cells in my area soon.

Guest pd.ryder

I was in Bromsgrove West Mids on Tues and had very little signal (GSM or 3G). The reason I mention it is my Vario II would do absolutely bugger all whilst in this state - it even refused to take photos and kept putting blank grey files into the Pictures and Videos folder. This was not what I needed when trying to impress my tech-savvy Aunt who loves her Blackberry!

Who the hell should I tell about this? The bods at T don't seem particularly interested (they'll just want to send another unit out) and I'm sure they're more concerned with getting the next incarnation onto the market. The VII desperately needs an update to AKU3.3

;)

Guest Dr Who

It would seem to be that my phone doesn't have the no call problem if I don't turn it on before reaching work. This makes me think my problem is related to transitioning between 3G cells.

Guest Confucious
It would seem to be that my phone doesn't have the no call problem if I don't turn it on before reaching work. This makes me think my problem is related to transitioning between 3G cells.

Very similar to the problem I had with my Universal which was fixed by trying different Radio ROMS (The latest weren't necesarily the best) Are ther diff Radio ROMS for the Hermes?

Guest Dr Who
Very similar to the problem I had with my Universal which was fixed by trying different Radio ROMS (The latest weren't necesarily the best) Are ther diff Radio ROMS for the Hermes?

There are indeed. I will try it sometime but I am still hoping TMob will release an upgrade ROM for my Hermes at which point I will return the handset for replacement and not sure you can downgrade the radio ROM?

Guest jimbouk

There are about ten different radio roms out there. They take about 20 mins to flash and loading a new radio rom does not involve a hard reset...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SheepWorrier

I've seen lots of references in this thread to forcing the Vario II to use GSM only - could someone please explain how to do this?

I've been on GSM in Hong Kong for the last two weeks and had c. 6 days battery out there vs. the 2 days battery I get here on 3G...

Guest Confucious

Radio ROMS can be downgraded and like jimbouk says, do not entail a hard reset so u can try them easily.

To force GSM

Start->Settings->Phone->Band - change network type from Auto to GSM only

Guest pd.ryder
This makes me think my problem is related to transitioning between 3G cells.

Yup. I came to the same conclusion some time ago. If I don't go anywhere, its ALWAYS fine. Once I move through variable reception areas (good, bad, GSM only, none at all and back again) the problems occur.

;)

Guest Cowie
Yup. I came to the same conclusion some time ago. If I don't go anywhere, its ALWAYS fine. Once I move through variable reception areas (good, bad, GSM only, none at all and back again) the problems occur.

Since updating my ROM (followed by radio) just over a month ago, I haven't had a single lock-up. I've been all over the country - good, bad and no coverage and the handset has performed very well.

I really hope T-Mobile bring out a WM6 and radio update for all those not happy with taking the risk and invalidating their warranty.

Guest Confucious

Which radio ROM are you using? Might be worth someone trying it with WM5 - but I did find that Radio ROMS that worked with WM5 didn't work with WM6 on the Universal and I still haven't founnd one that's perfect (I never lose voice but sometimes get "Cannot find modem" when trying to reconnect which requires a reset)

Guest Cowie
Which radio ROM are you using? Might be worth someone trying it with WM5 - but I did find that Radio ROMS that worked with WM5 didn't work with WM6 on the Universal and I still haven't founnd one that's perfect (I never lose voice but sometimes get "Cannot find modem" when trying to reconnect which requires a reset)

I'm currently using 1.40.30.00 and have no problems whatsoever.

Guest Marzbar
I'm currently using 1.40.30.00 and have no problems whatsoever.

I read on xda-dev that the 1.40.30.00 version of the radio stack gave improvements to the signal and battery life so I tried it.

So far, (touch wood) since Thursday it's working like a dream: the phone now works exactly how I always hoped it would. I get a signal throughout the house (even in the previously "dead" areas) and the battery life is incredible: I'm running emoze on push email setting and the battery used to be dead by the time I went to bed, the last three days have been around 50-60% remaining at the same times. It hasn't crashed yet, either.

I haven't tried 3G-GSM handover so can't comment on whether that's solved or not. Some of the forum posts suggest not.

I'm not sure if we're supposed to link to radio ROMs given that they're of questionable (ahem) legality, but I'd recommend anyone who's technically capable of doing this to do so - a search on google for the radio version gives a very helpful first result :rolleyes:

Geoff