Which PPC?

Guest Blakey

Have just manage to lose my Orange m600. Stupid drunken pub crawl. :) Anyway, net result is I need a new phone. The m600 is almost perfect but I'm wondering if there is anything else out there which will suit better?

This is what I want from my replacement:

1. Size. Most important. Nothing any bigger than the m600 please.

2. BT. Deffo need this and it needs to be able to support BT stereo music. I use my phone as my iPod.

3. 3G. The m600 does not support this. I have WebnWalk to 3G is dead useful. I do a lot of surfing.

4. Exchange sync. Once you have this you really can't go back. :-)

Things it doesn't need:

1. WiFi. m600 has this and I hardly ever used it. 3G would do fine.

2. Slide out keyboard. Really not interested.

3. Camera. Don't care as I never use it because all PPC cameras are rubbish anyway.

So, is there a suitable replacement for the m600 which fills my requirements?

Many thanks for anyone who can point me in the direction of a solution.

[Edit:] Incidentally I realise as I write this that possibly a smartphone would do rather than a PPC... So feel free to suggest one of them as a replacement instead if one matches the above requirements...

Cheers

Blakey

Edited by Blakey

Guest richard_d
Have just manage to lose my Orange m600. Stupid drunken pub crawl. :) Anyway, net result is I need a new phone. The m600 is almost perfect but I'm wondering if there is anything else out there which will suit better?

This is what I want from my replacement:

1. Size. Most important. Nothing any bigger than the m600 please.

2. BT. Deffo need this and it needs to be able to support BT stereo music. I use my phone as my iPod.

3. 3G. The m600 does not support this. I have WebnWalk to 3G is dead useful. I do a lot of surfing.

4. Exchange sync. Once you have this you really can't go back. :-)

Things it doesn't need:

1. WiFi. m600 has this and I hardly ever used it. 3G would do fine.

2. Slide out keyboard. Really not interested.

3. Camera. Don't care as I never use it because all PPC cameras are rubbish anyway.

So, is there a suitable replacement for the m600 which fills my requirements?

Many thanks for anyone who can point me in the direction of a solution.

[Edit:] Incidentally I realise as I write this that possibly a smartphone would do rather than a PPC... So feel free to suggest one of them as a replacement instead if one matches the above requirements...

Cheers

Blakey

3G is probably your stumbling block - there aren't many devices yet with 3G.

Now if you can hang on a few months maybe something like the HTC Trinity will be available.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest flyswat

Hi,

I am considering upgrading phone shortly, but cannot work out the differences between the T-Mobile MDA Compact III (HTC Artemis?) and T-Mobile MDA Vario II. As far as I can tell both are 3G, the compact has built in GPS but no wifi, and the Vario has wifi but no GPS. Is this correct?

What confuses me is that the Vario is available with Co-Pilot, even though it doesn't have GPS built in?

I understand that the vario has a slide out keyboard and also a much faster processor? What are the advantages of the compact other than perhaps size (i haven't compared the sizes yet).

Thanks

Guest richard_d
Hi,

I am considering upgrading phone shortly, but cannot work out the differences between the T-Mobile MDA Compact III (HTC Artemis?) and T-Mobile MDA Vario II. As far as I can tell both are 3G, the compact has built in GPS but no wifi, and the Vario has wifi but no GPS. Is this correct?

What confuses me is that the Vario is available with Co-Pilot, even though it doesn't have GPS built in?

I understand that the vario has a slide out keyboard and also a much faster processor? What are the advantages of the compact other than perhaps size (i haven't compared the sizes yet).

Thanks

The Compact III isn't HSDPA or even 3G, apart from the built in GPS it's definitely a lower spec device (but not bad). To use GPS with the Vario you use a Bluetooth GPS reciever.