USB charging

Guest flippy

All,

I'm trying to charge my C500 via USB, but there are a couple of problems...

The battery is completely flat - I can't turn it on for a second.

I believe there's some 'registration' process that needs to happen before the USB connection will provide power, but I can't get that far.

Obvious solution - charge the phone up via mains power. Simple answer - I can't currently find my mains charger, and am off abroad first thing tomorrow.

So - is there any way to force a charge via USB?

Cheers,

Mark

Guest awarner (MVP)

Unfortunately not as the usb is basically not powerful enough to charge a completely dead battery. Only option is to hunt down the mains charger.

Unfortunately not as the usb is basically not powerful enough to charge a completely dead battery. Only option is to hunt down the mains charger.

Shame - oonly charger I can find is a Blackberry one which, despite being the same size and shape, won't charge either of my HTC phones :)

Went to 4 shops around the strand today - none of them had any chargers in stock. Let's hope I can get one in the Philippines!

Guest Gamer X

Continuing with the rest of the question, does ActiveSync have to be installed for the phone to charge? I have it installed on my laptop and desktop and the phone'll charge via USB on those -- but it won't on the lab computers. Any way to force a USB charge?

Guest mikeeey
Continuing with the rest of the question, does ActiveSync have to be installed for the phone to charge? I have it installed on my laptop and desktop and the phone'll charge via USB on those -- but it won't on the lab computers. Any way to force a USB charge?

nope. infact ive charged mine on my 360 and ps3 lol. but if ur battery is completely dead ul need the wall charger or car charger

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TwistedSoCal

A for sure solution is to jump start your batt via direct contact of bare power leads of a usb cable to corasponding terminals of your batt. Basicly, get 2 usb cables. One for your phone and another one that you dont need anymore or can do without, the end doesnt matter as long as it is a 2.0 cable and one end will plug into your laptop or pc's usb port. Take the good cable that fits your phone and have it on hand one end pluged into a usb port in your computer and the other end ready to plug into your phone. Now that cable aside, get the other cable and with it UNPLUGED FROM YOUR PHONE AND PC cut off the end of the cord that doesnt plug into your pc so that would be the mini side or the square one or whatever the side is you get the point. with some strippers or a razor blade, remove about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of the outer pvc casing of your cut usb cable. find the black and red wires (we're working with dc so thats the colors here) with the Black and red wires seperated snip off the other wires and the grounding shielding s*** that is the steel or other metal mesh s*** wrapped around the foil emi shileding of the cable. What you should now have is a usb cable with a 1/2 inch red wire and a 1/2 inch black wire and some cleanly cut off wires and shielding (MAKE SURE THAT NONE OF THE WIRES ARE TOUCHING THE OTHERS...no coper or metalic of one wire is makeing any sort of contact with any other wires conductive surfaces!!! very important!!!) K now strip off the very tip of each of the two remaining wires to expose the conductors (copper stranded wire inside) you only need about 1/16 of an inch of copper exposed or arround 1 mm. this is the fun part, look at you battery pack(yes it has to be removed from your phone, dont try to do this s*** any other way) if the batt has the + and - symbols then great for you, otherwise you can google your packs manufac. and see if they havve the info or the easiest way but also the best way to toast your batt is to just use the two outside batt terminals as these are almost always the pos and neg terms(from my observations this is the way it is) plug the good end of the cable into your pc, and then take the two leads and carefully place them on the terminals this is low voltage so dont trip cause it wont shock you, with one lead in place hold it with one of your fingers and then place the other lead on the other terminal and start counting to 30 or 45, this isnt an exact science but this always works for me. if you batt gets hot stop and wait for a few min then reverse the cables and try it this way or just plug the batt right into your phone and turn your phone on, as soon as you start to get a display (any light or anything works,) plug the good usb charge cable into the phone and set the thing down, active sync is not needed so you shoud have it working in a few min and a few hours full charge, enjoy

oh, dont let your phone drain into its last 20% and you will not ever have to do this crap again