wifi

Guest The Grim Reaper

Guest The Grim Reaper

Is it possible for me to connect to another person successfully by wifi??

Today at work whilst in the canteen i decided to try out wifi, and picked up 2 connections, one i believe is a works one witch is secure.

The other so I’m told comes from the local pub and is un-secure.

I tried to connect to the unsecure one and my m3100 said it was connected, so then i tried to refresh my Google home page and an error came up saying cannot display??

Why when connected does this happen have i got some setting wrong.

This would be a great opportunity to check my emails at work.

Thanks for any help on this

kev.

Guest Samsonite

WiFi is a method of connecting to a network. Whilst you can setup machine to machine comms, you generally connect to an access point. An access point is a radio device sat on a network.

WiFi hotspots are unsecured 'zones' that will allow any WiFi capable device of connecting to the network they are part of, usually the internet. Once connected to the internet, you would then have to make a connection to your mailbox to get e-mails. If you have a secure network at your workplace you will need to have a Virtual Private Network connection into that environment (a VPN). you'll almost definitely have to talk to your IT about that one tho...

i'm not sure if you can synchronize your inbox with this method but if your IT people allow WebExchange, you can at least check your inbox.

not sure why you didnt get google thru the pubs access point... you sure its connected to the internet?

Edited by Samsonite

Guest The Grim Reaper
WiFi is a method of connecting to a network. Whilst you can setup machine to machine comms, you generally connect to an access point. An access point is a radio device sat on a network.

WiFi hotspots are unsecured 'zones' that will allow any WiFi capable device of connecting to the network they are part of, usually the internet. Once connected to the internet, you would then have to make a connection to your mailbox to get e-mails. If you have a secure network at your workplace you will need to have a Virtual Private Network connection into that environment (a VPN). you'll almost definitely have to talk to your IT about that one tho...

i'm not sure if you can synchronize your inbox with this method but if your IT people allow WebExchange, you can at least check your inbox.

not sure why you didnt get google thru the pubs access point... you sure its connected to the internet?

No not sure it is unless i go in and ask (best not though) but as i said its the first time i have tried it just wonderd if i could get it up and running.

Suppose i will have to find another one and try again.

Should i also assume that all the default settings would still get me connected assuming i can find one to connect too

kev.

Guest Samsonite

not sure about the default settings working for ya.. i dont have a Hermes so wouldnt know what basic settings they have already plumbed into them.

the fact that you can see other networks would mean to me that you have the basics all ok; its now down to finding an 'open' connection to see how far you can get.

• 2 months later...
Guest waroffice

heres an idea, maybe just maybe the pub is using the WiFi for a network and not just an internet connection.

It is possible you know!

Guest Samsonite
A bit naughty using someone else's connection.

Be careful

couldnt agree more!!

i dont condone anyone nicking broadband!! i was pleased when this story occurred... with a bit of luck it should put off the opportune idiot who thinks it would be a larf to download seriously dodgy material thru someone elses account.

it is a difficult one tho. You cant count on human nature to not steal broadband if someone is technically able and 'that way inclined' but how do you stop it? you cant force people to use WPA2 with 128bit AES encryption as much as you cant force people to not leave car windows open with keys in the ignition. Its only bad experiences that mean the majority decide its better for them to make things secure.

The technology is hard enough for the people who have/want to use it so the poor old non techie masses are left at the mercy of the unscrupulous hacker for all sorts of things. How would anyone feel if the Old Bill came knocking on your door as part of Operation Whatever thats been zeroing in on a ring of the worst kind of sexoffender.. Little did they know that it was the guy two or three doors away... who has just been tipped off that they are close!!

i would agree that nothing is completely secure and that anyone determined enough will stay undetected but lets not make it easy for them!

I have been trying to make my router more secure than just using WEP but the lowest common denominator rules and at the moment its my phone!! I cant get it to connect with any higher than WEP (128bit)...