"Windows Media Player cannot convert the file to the format required by the device"

Guest slinkoff

Guest slinkoff

Does anybody else get this error when they try and sync video to their device?

it works on my laptop with WMP11 but not on my PC with the same version. I've tried all manner of codecs, MS support suggests the issue is a lack of MPEG2 decoder but I've tried WinDVD and the recommended nVidia and no change. I've installed Windows Media Encoder and I've got ffdshow and xvid installed.

Anyone found a solution? I've got a machine with Vista on and the Mobile Device Centre and the problem is still there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest timiano

Hi

Same problem here. I downloaded the free MP4Cam2Avi software which does convert the MP4 to a compatible mpeg-4 file that is compatible with DiVx/xViD, but the sound format is AMR (pain in the arse) and therefore doesn't convert. Basically, it'll probably involve shelling out for a full featured mp4 converter ;)

Guest timiano
Hi

Same problem here. I downloaded the free MP4Cam2Avi software which does convert the MP4 to a compatible mpeg-4 file that is compatible with DiVx/xViD, but the sound format is AMR (pain in the arse) and therefore doesn't convert. Basically, it'll probably involve shelling out for a full featured mp4 converter ;)

Hi, bit of further information.

I tried MP4 Converter 3 from www.mp4converter.net and this would indeed read the amr audio format. It was a fairly easy process to then convert to the desired output. Please note though, that quicktime and both divx player play the files without conversion, but for most distributed media or editing it'll need to be out of the format that it is in out of the camera. Why they didn't just encode to mp3 I have no idea, but it would appear that amr is a very popular format with phones....rubbish!

Tim

Guest slinkoff

I think you're talking about a slightly different thing, i.e., getting video recorded with the phone to AVI? I'm talking about syncing videos/tv in divx/xvid or whatever to the phone. WMP11 should convert it automatically because it does it on my laptop but not on any other machine I have. I also was doing some tinkering with AC3filter on my laptop and that broke WMP11 from being able to convert (got the error message same as thread title), I had to do a system restore to get my laptop back to the way it was so I could use it to convert again but I'd like to know what had changed so I could narrow down what makes my laptop work but nothing else.