Eten Glofiish X500 and M700... T-Mobile UK users beware!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
post-1-1170627098_thumb.gif

Lusting after an Eten Glofiish X500 or M700? Planning to use it with a T-Mobile UK SIM?

If so, then you might want to think twice before making your purchase... neither handset will work with GPRS on the T-Mobile UK network!

Both devices seem to have an issue in the radio stack (latest software builds on both) that prevents them from attaching to GPRS... thereby rendering them unable to use the mobile data service... something of a show stopper i'm sure you'll agree, and a considerable blow to Eten's sales prospects given T-Mobile's status as a big supporter of mobile data.

We've approached Eten for a response with regards to a possible fix, and i'll report back with their response... but I thought i'd let everyone know! It's a real shame too, as I really like the X500... it's sitting here and i'm just itching to use it! :)

P

[update: I am now working with the appropriate teams within Eten to resolve this issue, and will update here as me make progress.]

Guest mavisdavis

Hi Paul thanks for the heads up on this. I dont suppose youve got a size comparison shot against the SPV M600. Im due an upgrade shortly and am considering leaving Orange But I love the size of the M600.

It could make all the difference between an Orange M700 and the Eten M700 maybe.

Cheers mate ;-)

Edited by mavisdavis

Guest Paul (MVP)

My M600 is currently with a friend i'm afraid :D

Here's a sizeasy comparison between the M600, Orange M700 and Eten M700... with the Herald thrown in for good measure :)

P

sizeasy251750.jpg

Good luck Paul with your quest to get a response from Eten, on the days i actually use my x500 it really is a great device in all aspects apart from data use with my t-mobile web n walk package. Once again good luck and thanks

Craig

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, things are happening already!

Just had a call with an Eten engineer from Taiwan to discuss creating log files on the devices for them to troubleshoot with, good stuff!

P

Hi Paul, at the risk of sounding impatient is there any further news on this yet ?, i see a new 354 rom has been released, however still no luck in the gprs connection area for us t-mobile users in the uk :)

Cheers Craig

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've installed a logging tool provided to me by Eten and sent them the logs, waiting for the dudes in Taiwan to work their magic.

Will update here as soon as I have more!

P

Guest JamieJackson

I assume this applies to Virgin customers too?

If so, can you still make calls, send texts, etc? I dont use GPRS much, so could live without it.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of the results from the diagnostics look remotely encouraging in solving this issue Paul?, i am seriously considering selling my x500 but dont want to if a solution is not far away.

Cheers Craig

Guest JamieJackson

Thanks for that.

As I have now taken the plunge and bought my M700, I can confirm that all works fine with a Virgin SIM except GPRS. Not a problem for me as I dont use it.

Edited by JamieJackson

Guest andycat

Hi,

Just been given an M700 from work, and am on T-mobile. Is it worth me waiting for a fix, or should I send it straight back and get something else that does work? I'm pretty reliant on web'n'walk for emails in my job!

Andy

Guest gilesjuk
Hi,

Just been given an M700 from work, and am on T-mobile. Is it worth me waiting for a fix, or should I send it straight back and get something else that does work? I'm pretty reliant on web'n'walk for emails in my job!

Andy

Well it doesn't work and there's no guarantee of a fix. The less risky option it to get something else.

Guest gilesjuk

Any more news?

This needs sorting ASAP, I bet Eten have lost some sales due to this. I'm actually thinking of selling mine as it's useless. I value my phone number more than a particular handset.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Of course not ;)

Maybe a poll topic in the Eten area along the lines of 'are you put off of the Eten devices due to t-mobile incompatability' or similar?

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.