Vario II - 3G connectivity broken

Guest MikeZ

Guest danr1

It has gone all quiet on this thread, have peoples problems been resolved or are they just living with them for the time being ?

I have a week old Vario II from Tmobile and have just started experiencing these problems ie. no calls out/in when the 3G coverage icon is showing. a major pain.....

Guest MikeZ
I have a week old Vario II from Tmobile and have just started experiencing these problems ie. no calls out/in when the 3G coverage icon is showing. a major pain.....

I never actually had a voice problem with 3G - just data. As soon as I got HSDPA enabled the problems went away and it has been fine since. Whether that was a coincidence or not I'm not sure, because I did some other things at the same time like upgrading the Radio ROM.

Mike

Guest Confucious

When I flashed WM6 on my Universal (NOT Hermes) It came with Radio ROM 1.13 which had very similar problems o the ones Vario II owners seem to have. I tried 1.14 which wan's much better then 1.09 which was a lot better but when it lost a connection wouldn't reconnect. Recently 1.15 has come out which seams to have solved nearly all my problems (I still sometimes can't connect to the internet but can always make calls.)

Are their different radio ROMs for the Hermes?

Guest pd.ryder
It has gone all quiet on this thread, have peoples problems been resolved or are they just living with them for the time being ?

Just kinda livin with it tbh. Mind you, since I took out the M:Metrics monitoring software, things have been a lot better. The other thing I'm not running that was installed on all my previous VII's was the T-Mobile supplied GPRS Monitor. I must get round to putting it in and see what happens...

;)

Guest AdWright

Since upgrading to WM6 and radio rom 1.27 I have had no problems with connectivity whatsoever. HSDPA now flies along on T-mob

Guest MikeZ

I didn't have any problems with voice, just data. Since I got HSDPA enabled it has been fine, although I also upgraded the radio at the same time which may have contributed.

Guest danr1
Since I got HSDPA enabled it has been fine, although I also upgraded the radio at the same time which may have contributed.

MikeZ, was just about to bring this up - HSPDA enabling. Did it just take a call to T-Mobile? A few old threads said that customers needed to be on WnW Pro/Max to have their HSPDA enabled. Or is it just dependent on the Customer Service rep you get ?

Also which radio ROM have you upgraded to? Any (other) noticeable improvements in batt life etc. ?

Guest jimbouk

I am on radio rom 1.27.00.00 but on orange. It seems there's radio roms "out there" up to1.38.00.00.

Obviously I am not linking to them - but it wouldn;t take a rocket scientist to find them.

(I only got HSDPA working on Orange with a radio upgrade... but then again the 3100 comes with radio rom 1.06!)

Guest danr1
Since I got HSDPA enabled it has been fine, although I also upgraded the radio at the same time which may have contributed.

MikeZ, was just about to bring this up - HSPDA enabling. Did it just take a call to T-Mobile? A few old threads said that customers needed to be on WnW Pro/Max to have their HSPDA enabled. Or is it just dependent on the Customer Service rep you get ?

Also which radio ROM have you upgraded to? Any (other) noticeable improvements in batt life etc. ?

Guest MikeZ

Strange, I got an e-mail saying danr1 had replied but it hasn't appeared here. I'm currently on

ROM version: 2.05.255.1

Radio version: 1.27.00.00

(This is the HTC AKU 3.3 test update from a certain site - I'll probably stick the AKU 3.3.1 HTC upgrade on it this weekend.)

Battery life's a little better but I tend to use push e-mail a lot which drains it quite quickly. Bluetooth is definitely more stable. With the original T-Mobile ROM I kept losing the pairing with my TomTom but it's fine now.

Guest MikeZ

Forgot your other question ;)

All I did was contact customer services from within "My Account" on the T-Mobile web site and asked them to enable HSDPA. Got an e-mail back the next day (Sunday) saying it had been done :D I'm on the £7.50 WnW.

Guest pd.ryder
Forgot your other question ;)

All I did was contact customer services from within "My Account" on the T-Mobile web site and asked them to enable HSDPA. Got an e-mail back the next day (Sunday) saying it had been done :D I'm on the £7.50 WnW.

I think I'll be on to them too. CS on the phone have insisted its only available on Plus or Pro versions of w&w.

When you've got it does the 3G symbol change to an H? Mine always just shows 3G or G but never a U or an H.

:(

Guest MikeZ
When you've got it does the 3G symbol change to an H? Mine always just shows 3G or G but never a U or an H.

With the standard T-Mobile ROM it just continued to show 3G (or G). After upgrading to the HTC AKU 3.3 ROM it shows U for 3G, H for HSDPA (or G for 2.5G).

Guest pd.ryder

Hmm, think I need to hang on to the T-Mobile warranty for the time being with the problems I've had (3rd new handset now ;) ).

I might just Google it and set it aside for the moment...

:D

Guest Confucious

Quick point U=UMTS which is the same as 3G - different ROMS display EITHER 3G or U - you will never see both on one device unless you change ROMS.

Guest jimbouk

BingoBob - YES! Those are HSDPA - 3G would record approx 250-380, H can achieve up to 1500 currently but realworld speeds are between 500 and 1000.

Roll on next year when H will speed up to approx 3.5Mb

Guest MikeZ
Can some people go here and let me know what results you are getting for the 1 meg test...?

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

Thanks - didn't know about that speed test. I'm getting between 950 and 990 at work with 2 bars of signal strength. My home is just over the road from a T-Mobile transmitter so I'll be interested to see what I get there...

Guest AdWright

As pointed out 3G is just a branding of U (UTMS). H will only appear if you have a newer radio rom (1.27 works on mine) and AKU3.3 or later.

Guest Swampie

Has anyone been able to confirm what "Web & Wap 384k Up/2048 Down" option in My T-Mobile means?

I've not got a 3G device, but just wondering whether its the HSDPA people are talking about.

Thanks

Guest pd.ryder
Has anyone been able to confirm what "Web & Wap 384k Up/2048 Down" option in My T-Mobile means?

I've not got a 3G device, but just wondering whether its the HSDPA people are talking about.

Thanks

I reckon this is the 'propper' HSDPA they charge the extra for. I'm quite happy with an average 980kbps/down for now (I only manage an average 550kbps off my so-called 8Mb BB at home!) No idea what I'm getting upstream tho?

;)

Guest pd.ryder

Further to my enquiries with T, I had this email back today:

Good Evening Paul

Thank you for your enquiry regarding HSDPA.

I can advise HSDPA is already included on your account.

Kind Regards

**********(edit)

T-Mobile

So there we have it - HSDPA is standard on W&W although there would seem to be an 'enhanced' faster version on Plus and Pro. I'll advise when/if T clarify this for me.

;)