W.M. You Ain't Hacking It No More

Guest Sp00k

Sorry Windows Mobile... but for me, you just ain't hacking it, you had the spark of innovation, reliability and good design at one time but I consider that you've lost your way and dropped far behind in the race...

I've been wanting to replace my C600 for some time now with an all-singing all-dancing candy-bar style device. The recent round-up of the very latest models displayed at the last show has left me feeling very disappointed indeed.

I'm looking for a candy-bar phone with at least the following features:

01. GPRS Built-in (minumum Sirf II).

02. 3G (HSPDA).

03. Mini USB - USB2, not 1.1 !

04. Easily accessible memory card (Hot swappable)

05. Stereo FM Radio

06. WiFi (802.11 b/g)

07. SIP Compliant for VOIP providers apart from Skype.

08. Listenable audio from stereo speakers.

09. Good quality camera with flash, zoom & macro.

10. Portrait and landscape display.

11. 3.5 mm Audio-out jack socket.

12. TV-out connection.

13. Video calling facility.

14. VGA Video recording at 30 fps.

15. All the above contained in a compact casing little bulkier than a C600.

Now you may consider that I am asking too much... I accept that I am, that's evident from the latest WM models revealed to the public... I'm evidently asking far too much... from Windows Mobile.

However, just such a device is shortly to become available in March I'm led to believe, having all these listed features and more... but unfortunately running an alternative OS.

If it lives up to its promise, I shall probably be returning from whence I came... I still occasionally use the old reliable 7650. :)

well come on dude, what's available in march? with zoom camera? is it a symbian

LOL! I figured that the 'returning from whence I came' comment, coupled with the mention of the old 7650 would have given it away... Yes, you're correct... (Only digital zoom btw, not optical).

Sad that they can incorporate what a lot of customers want and yet WM seems to me to concentrate on giving customers what they (and the Telcos) think we should have!

I greatly like the WM OS... But not the latest phones...

but is wm the problem? the wm os doesn't give you cameras or gps... that's the manufacturer

True... As I say, I like the WM OS but not the WM phones... NONE of the manufacturers who are using the WM OS can provide me with the functions that I'm looking for, so strictly speaking it's not the OS itself that's the problem, it's the utilisation of it so far.

I assume you're referring to the N95?

P

I would imagine so. I was almost tempted by both the N70 and N80 when they were released as they promised similar all-encompassing specifications. The N70 was horrendous. It was slllloooooowwwwww beyond belief - I could only bear it for a week and returned it for a C550 I was that desperate. And Nokia have still only equipped the N95 with 32Mb RAM IIRC. It looks fantastic on paper but so did the N80 and even the most fervent Nokia fans hated that one.

They have a lot going for them in terms of spec but in my limited experience they don't deliver. I would be as happy as anyone to have the N95 prove me wrong though.

Edited by Dr Who

If it lives up to its promise, I shall probably be returning from whence I came... I still occasionally use the old reliable 7650. :)

I agree. WM smartphones have fallen way behind in the past 18 months. I believe the problem is that the manufacturers and operators just aren't innovative enough with WM technologies. WM seems to be considered as a business mobile OS. This is true to a certain extent but until both operators and manufacturers realise the potential in WM for phones and innovate aswel as including sensible features (fm radio, more unlimited gprs etc) then I fear WM will only get worse.

P.s. By WM devices I mean normal candybar phones and not those lar di dar london types :D with their PDA phones.

I assume you're referring to the N95?

P

I was indeed... but rather than extolling the virtues of one particular model, I was bemoaning the lack of these facilities in other manufacturers devices so far, which is why I didn't name it... :)

I agree that it looks fine on paper... and that other models have also looked as good yet proved to be a nightmare to early adopters, although I gather that a firmware upgrade solved many of the N80's problems eventually, I can only hope that lessons have been learned from that experience.

But consider... for how long have we been crying out for a decent camera? Look at the photos taken with the early N95's and compare them to the ones that we have to be satisfied with! That's just one example of not giving the customers what they want but instead, giving them only what it's considered they should have...

Another example is a minor point like being stuck with a 2.5mm audio-out jack, necessitating the use of an adaptor if we want to use a good set of headphones. Yet another is the pathetic audio output from the internal speaker, making hands-free a hit and miss affair as the speaker is generally situated on the back panel of the phone on the latest models, causing it to be muffled when the phone is placed on a flat surface... and not forgetting memory cards that can only be accessed by removing the battery, along with many more built-in irritations... all these minor niggles add up.

In my own case, I'm tired of waiting for candy-bar phone users to be catered for... a small(ish) smartphone with Wi-Fi, HSPDA & GPS, built by someone who has listened to their customers needs, certainly arouses my interest... If only it was running on the WM OS, it would be perfect!

Guest stripeycat

I had a good look at that N95 at the trade show down in Excel House last year, tried out the OS and the camera, and basically had a dig around the machine to see what the wow factor was all about. To be honest, i got rid of the e61 that i took on a new t-mobile almost immediately back nearer the beginning of last year, because symbian just is not cutting it that much for me, and this N95 does no more for me now than any of the Nokias i've seen in the last few years. The OS is dead similar to the rest of the series, the camera is nice, can't say how great the images ae on a desktop but they looked okay on the screen, and all of the other connectivity options are a definite plus, but will soon be thrown at tons of other non-Nokia handsets. The handset itself, well, if you liked the N80, this is fairly similar in form factor except for the double-slide, and boy is it an ugly little beastie. The buttons just look cheap, and the overall effect is a bit plastic, saved in part by the decent black backing case. I had an old 6600 for about a year, and the change from symbian to windows CE and now windows mobile 5 still seems like the most logical progression to have made. Sure, there may be issues with syncing, software and hardware problems - you're not going to leave these behind by going over to someone like Nokia, though. Their new communicator isn't even out of the box yet, but surf around and see how many glowing reviews the first look has gotten; certainly not as many as nokia would like to have expected, and certainly not as many as they would have done some years ago without WM5 and all of the shiny new toys out there that they have to contend with now.

Don't forget, too, that now someone has raised the bar on the hardware specs of a consumer phone, firms like HTC and the other big boys in the windows mobile corner will be turning their hands to creating this all-singing, all dancing device that you want; it's not going to be very long until the N95-killer is on it's way. If you can't wait and you're really into nokia's phone styling, this is definitely a good option; but if you can hold out, i'd bet something just as nasty is waiting around the corner. I still think that windows mobile is gearing up to take a lot of business away from other OS's, just by virtue of the fact that it'll soon be practically plug 'n play, with no cranky third party applications to install just so you don't have to sit there adding new contacts to your address book all the time.

An interesting P.O.V. from someone who's seen an N95 'in the flesh', as it were, thank you for that, stripeycat...

I did say that it looks fine... on paper. I'm not about to get suckered into buying one any time soon at an extortionate price (£630 on Expansys, for example), or taking out a contract to get my mitts on the latest must-have gadget. I'll let the early-adopters do all the unpaid beta-testing for Nokia first before I even consider obtaining one and switching allegiance from WM. :)

The (paper) specifications fit in with what I want though and it's good to see that customer requirements are being heeded, I can only hope that you're correct when you say that HTC et al will soon be bringing out models with even superior facilities incorporated... Although, bearing in mind the truly abysmal quality cameras that they insist in using in their production, despite many pleas for an improvement, I'm not entirely sure that I share your faith in this regard...