The official Orange SPV M700 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest che-stel

Hi Paul.

I'm new to this site, so forgive me if this question has already been answered.

I have recently got my hands on the SPV Orange M700, but have been told that the GPS has been encrypted because it "drains the battery"...Although I work for Orange, the Technical Support team are clueless. One of them didn't even know what GPS was!!

Can you advise me on what to do please, seeing as HTC refused to help me unlock the GPS because it "wasn't their software" (fair enough)?

Also, I have been informed by a colleague that it is possible to purchase a mini SD card with the TomTom software already installed on it. Is this true?

Finally, the WiFi on the M700 is a God-send. Using Skype is unbelievable!

Thanks in advance

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hi che-stel!

The GPS is there, ready to use, and there's nothing you actually need to do to enable it!

You can indeed buy TomTom on miniSD, and it'll work fine with the M70.

P

Guest che-stel
Hi che-stel!

The GPS is there, ready to use, and there's nothing you actually need to do to enable it!

You can indeed buy TomTom on miniSD, and it'll work fine with the M70.

P

Cheers mate.

Thats really confused me now, seeing as Orange told me otherwise. :D

Anyways, I'm gonna believe you, seeing as a) you have it ;) and :( Techy Support are prone to fobbing people off

.. So, is there a GPS programme on the handset, or is it something that just activates when a satnav software is installed on it?

Finally, do you know any websites where I can get that memory card with TomTom on it?

Cheers fella, much appreciated

Edited by che-stel

Guest OzzMosiz

You can hack the registry to show the GPS settings under Settings, it doesn't appear as default (but still works fine on com 9)

Edited by OzzMosiz

Where's the review ?

@paul Wht did u recommend is it worth buying Vario II now or should wait for Kaiser plz any help would be appreciated plz help ;)

Guest craigensmith

Hello Paul, I just got the SPV M700 and im very keen to get TomTom mobile or Orange SatNav. Only one quick question. If i get one of these, will Orange charge me every time i send/receive a GPS signal? Or do i just pay for the packages as a one off, then use the GPS for free? I am confused, because as usual, Orange customer services could not help me. Their reply was "maybe, maybe not".

I am just worried that i will buy, and install TomTom, then get a huge bill the following month, because i have been using so much GPS!! Or is it free to use your GPS signal?

Help!

Thanks for your time.

Greg.

Guest magic_peanuts
If i get one of these, will Orange charge me every time i send/receive a GPS signal? Or do i just pay for the packages as a one off, then use the GPS for free? I am confused, because as usual, Orange customer services could not help me. Their reply was "maybe, maybe not".

No need to worry, if you buy and install Tomtom there will be no charge for accessing GPS and no additional charges for data. However if you use extra services like Tomtom Traffic (not needed for general sat nav usage) you will incur data charges.

If you use Orange GPS you will incur data charges as you download the maps everytime you need them but get Tomtom it's much better anyway

Guest OzzMosiz
How?

Download a registry editor, I use PHM Registry Editor, then search for GPS (HKLM\ControlPanel\GPS Settings) change value of Hide from 1 to 0 voila it appears in settings. Do note, GPS still works without this hack. This is just to see the GPS settings.

Guest toprobroy

Hi Paul

Seems you are the M700 Guru ;) :D

Anyway, do you know how I can make my phone ring longer. It seems to answer too quickly.

Also, do you or anyone else know where I can get a more powerful battery, at a reasonable Price.

I've seen some 3600ma and 2200ma around.

Finally...do you, or anyone have experience of a decent holder mount for the car. One that will not fall off.

Ciao!

Guest Paul (MVP)

1. Phone ring time: Start -> Settings -> Phone -> Call Forwarding -> Get Settings, then change the 'Forward After' value.

2. Not seen more powerful batteries personally, sorry!

3. You NEED a Brodit car / phone combination from http://www.dsldevelopments.co.uk. They rock (well, they don't, they're completely steady, lol) and they're well worth the money!

P

Guest toprobroy

Thanks for that. It sorts out the short ring period, though sometimes, the max (30 secs) isn't enough either.

Maybe there will be a way around that in the future.

Here is a link to a Battery Extender, which is basically a portable battery charger, if anyone is interested. Click HERE

Also there is a 2200ma Battery which makes the phone thicker, so it comes with an extra cover. Click THIS to see that.

I'm looking at the Brodit and it looks good, thanks. Will search around a little bit more though.

I wonder if anyone has used the Custom Orange one at GPSforLess site. Thats HERE

in case anyone wants to look and is £29.99 inc but plus postage. It doesn't seem to have Tilt & Swivel, thats all thats different I think.

Ciao!

Edited by toprobroy

Guest che-stel

Alright lads?

Got the TomTom 6 yesterday for the M700. Only problem is that it takes forever to locate the GPS and sometimes it cannot find a signal!!

What am I doing wrong, seeing as there are no instructions for configuring it to the handset? Pleeeeease, HELP!

Guest chillpete

Hi, I have just upgraded to a SPV M700, but I am having trouble connecting it to my Tomtom one so that I can get the traffic updates. Is there anyone out there that can help.

thanks

Peter

Guest toprobroy

I may be stating the obvious, but have you tried contacting Tom Tom. ;)

Maybe they can shed some light on this. I am thinking of buying this as well, so I'd be interested in the outcome also!

Guest chillpete
I may be stating the obvious, but have you tried contacting Tom Tom. ;)

Maybe they can shed some light on this. I am thinking of buying this as well, so I'd be interested in the outcome also!

I have contacted Tomtom aboput this, but I get the usual reply (This is an unsupported device and we cannot help).

Orange was next to no help either.

Peter

Guest toprobroy

So Tom Tom will take your money, but then say its not supported.

Did you, or anyone else ask the question from a Supplier, whether this product works on an SPV M700 AND is supported.

We need to find this out and get the Defacto Statement from Tom Tom.

Where did you and anyone else, but this package.

Guest chillpete
Right... so what exactly is the problem with TT and the M700?

Let me help ;)

P

HI Paul,

The problem I am having is with the Tomtom device, I think.

When I select “connect to phone” on my Tomtom and try and pair the two devices Tomtom says that “The required features could not be found on this phone”.

I try and put the pass code into my phone to pair the two and Tomtom will not accept the pass code (0000).

And that in a nutshell is the problem.

Peter

Guest chillpete
Ah... I wonder if this is the 'DUN profile no longer available in AKU3' issue?

P

Woosh, that went straight over my head <_<

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.