Battery life

Guest jhils1

Guest jhils1

How is everyone finding the battery life?-Mine is really bad-In 36 hours all I did was send/receive 9 texts and the rest of the time it was on standby and battery dropped from 100% to 25%

Guest looeee

Mine too was not great.

I think it is better now (although I'm waiting for BLifePlugin to tell me for sure).

I went into the settings->connections and deleted everything that looked like it'd dial out, GPRS, WAP, etc. If I ever want them back (no wifi connection) then that "Installation Type" program nicely restores them.

I went Band Selection and set everything to GSM only. I am sure that killing all the 3G has had a significant effect on the battery.

Results as soon as BLifePlugin tells me

Guest jhils1

According to the handbook the battery life is BETTER on 3G for talktime (5 hrs v 4 hrs) and better on GSM for standby time (220 hrs v 180 hrs). Got no USIM yet so GSM only and I ve already set it to GSM only only but battery life still pathetic-More like 48 hrs standby. WiFi/bluetooth are very definately off and I regularly check all processes.

Whats Blife?-And why does it take so long to tell you what you want?

Edited by jhils1

Guest Reado

I was sent a brand new XDA Graphite last week on Monday. On Saturday I phoned O2 to tell them the phone was fully charged on Friday night, but by Saturday morning it was completely dead!

What I actually found was the phone would charge fully in about 30 minutes from dead, but even though the status says it's fully charged, the power LED would continue to glow red (even though the manual says it should be glowing orange when it's charging). I'd then disconnect the phone from the charger and use it for a few days, both for calls/texts and by leaving it on standby. After about 2 or 3 days, the phone would still be registering as full!!

After a few hours however and the phone would say "battery low", followed by (a few seconds later), "battery dead" followed by the "O2 : Goodbye" screen! Nice!

This was happening in the space of the whole week.

I've since received my new handset (today). I've not charged this new battery (as the manual says you should) and I've used the phone several times today and left it on standby for 6 hours. In between receiving the new phone and plugging it in to the charger at home, the battery has been reading the same result (50%) and hasn't moved at all! I'm reading this from the Power Management menu, from the blue bar at the top.

The phone "says" it's now fully charged. Hmm, we shall see!

Another thing worth mentioning. The box says the phone has 150 hours standby and 4 hours talk-time. However, phone O2 and they'll tell you (like they did with me about an hour ago) "180 hours standby and 5 hours talk-time".

How rare...!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidjp

I don't know if this is a solution, but it is coincidental.

In the main I haven't had too much of a problem with the battery life on my Graphite, but every now and again I do notice a sharp drop. Today was one of those days. The time in whcih the drop occured also appeared to be a time where my phone was doing a lot but without me doing anything. Basically, the moniter at work was flickering like crazy, in true incoming call style. This lasted quite a while. Before it happened I had a 100% charge, according to BatteryLife about 240hrs ;) , afterwards I'm down to 30%.

Am I putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5? Or could this be the problem?

Guest jhils1

"Basically, the moniter at work was flickering like crazy, in true incoming call style"

Dont really get what you mean here-Do you mean the multi-coloured "processor working" icon that apears in the middle of the screen?-If you do, whilst it can be on for a while-maybe 10 secs at most, it wouldnt really affect the batt life.And if its on longer I think theres something wrong with it!-I always close all applications with task manager or OxiosCloseApps when I ve finished using the phone, but I still get crap batt life.-Or have I got it wrong and you meant something else?!

Guest Reado

Since I've gone back to using my XDA IQ, life's sweet, and to be honest I can't tell the difference in performance between the IQ and the Graphite, even though the CPU is "meant" to be twice as fast.

Battery-life wise, the IQ definitely has more battery-life than the Graphite, and always did. The battery indicator under Power Management updates in real-time on the IQ, whereas the Graphite would update after several hours and, rather than warn that it's nearly dead, just die! Superb!

Guest davidjp
"Basically, the moniter at work was flickering like crazy, in true incoming call style"

Dont really get what you mean here-Do you mean the multi-coloured "processor working" icon that apears in the middle of the screen?-If you do, whilst it can be on for a while-maybe 10 secs at most, it wouldnt really affect the batt life.And if its on longer I think theres something wrong with it!-I always close all applications with task manager or OxiosCloseApps when I ve finished using the phone, but I still get crap batt life.-Or have I got it wrong and you meant something else?!

Sorry, I didn't get make myself clear there did I? I meant my PC monitor. You know when you leave your phone next to your PC and the PC's moniter flickers when you're about to receive a call or a text. That's what I was trying, badly, to describe. It's almost as if the phone is trying to get a signal, but constantly doing it for about an hour or so. I leave in an area with 3G, but work in an area without it. Would this be an issue?

Guest jhils1

Right, I see. I ve never come across that myself, but it sounds like interference similar to what you get if the mob goes when you re on the landline. It wont affect the battery life though, thats just bad design!

Edited by jhils1

Guest davidjp

I was thinking that something is causing the phone to create the interference. If whatever it is is quite power intensive, then that would explain it. Maybe. ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest monkeygadge

I'm having similar problems - today I started on 100%, then about 6pm my phone started to heat up really badly and the power management indicator showed no battery left.

After a restart it jumped up to about 30% and lasted the rest of the day!?!?! WTF?

Guest looeee

yeah the battery life is pretty poor, and it does struggle to estimate the remaining power too.

If it is saying you're low on power you're sure you haven't used it that much a reboot is always a good idea

Guest Reado

After the problems I've had with the Graphite and O2 in-general, I've made a few interesting discoveries that I've included in a complaint to them. Check this out:

--------------------------------

See O2 website (www.seeo2.com) clearly states 200 hours standby, 4 hours talk-time

Official O2 website (https://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/specification/O2/Xda_Graphite) clearly states 190 hours standby, 4 hours talk-time

Official O2 Business Shop website () clearly states 150 hours standby, 4 hours talk-time

XDA Graphite packaging clearly states 150 hours standby, 4 hours talk-time

Previous conversations with O2 Customer Services state the handset has 180 hours standby, 5 hours talk-time

--------------------------------

Kinda makes you wonder what the real standby/talk-time hours are eh?!

Edited by Reado