First Pics of the HTC S720 emerge

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

HTC have been showing off their latest and greatest over at CTIA Wireless this week, including hands on demoing of the HTC S720.

The S720 sports the same form factor and slide out keyboard as the Vox but also packs the extremely nippy EV-DO data connectivity.

Check out Engadgets' gallery for a run down on the size and shape compared to the Vox and Hermes.

Personally i can't wait for the Vox, I have to say though, i think the Vox wins hands down on looks in this case!

Engadget Gallery

Source [engadget]

Guest Electronic Punk

I thought Wings was the S730 ?

edit: Looks like this is some kind of stop-gap that fixes or adds Edge support which the Vox lacks?

Either way I think the 730 is a safer bet, plus my phone (mteor) might have had tghe chance to age a little so it will be easier to justify getting one!

Edited by Electronic Punk

Guest Electronic Punk

Yeah, edited my post a bit too ;)

hmm so the 720 has 3g and wireless as well ?

Edited by Electronic Punk

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

The Vox is a great looking device, however this seems closer to the Wings in design. Curved edges and a bit of chrome bling go a long way to making a device less brick-like!

Edit: nope, the S720 seems to be a Vox in a different shell with the same spec, but also adding EV-DO connectivity. EV-DO in its current revision gets you speeds roughly equivilent to HSDPA and is available in North America and a few other places (i'd imagine).

Guest Electronic Punk

Yup, bit of shame they are splitting things up (as Nokia do with so many variants worldwide), unless they intend to phase out the 710 already?

I think the Wings will also have a forward facing camera (in addition?) by default.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Yep, for all that video calling people do! Its not so bad HTC are releasing an EV-DO flavour, nice download speeds for people in the states. We'll just wait out for the Wings and get similar (or faster) speeds, plus GPS!

Guest Dster
edit: Looks like this is some kind of stop-gap that fixes or adds Edge support which the Vox lacks?

The Vox does have Edge.

It does not, however, have UMTS, which the Wings/S730 does have.

Guest HerpezP

You weren't the only one being fooled at the first sight of this, Monolithix. It's really similar to the leaked renderings of the S730, but I really hope the real S730 turns out to be less brick-like. Maybe those S730 renderings actually were S720 renderings and the S730 will be more like the first sketches that surfaced back in December?

Guest smeg36

Man I'm looking forward to seeing this one in person! Being on Sprint (only $30/month for unlimited data, 500 SMS, and 500 minutes, I have to go with Sprint) with EVDO, this is going to be my next device. I agree with you about the exterior appearance Mono, but I like the S720's keyboard better. I've been dying with anticipation reading all these CTIA posts. I'm going there for Mobile Gadget News, but can't make it until tomorrow. I'm excited to check out the HTC display!

Guest hondaguy

what a piss off! we have been looking at pics and talking about the gsm vox and now Telus swoops in and shows a cdma version that is supposed to be released within a couple of weeks. i think the design looks marginally better than the vox, no big deal, but i will not switch from gsm to use it.

Guest smeg36

The most noticeable difference I see is the S720 is CDMA and the S730 is GSM. Different cellular technologies and carries that will sell them.

Guest HerpezP
What's the difference between the HTC S720 and the HTC S730? ;)

The S720 is CDMA with EV-DO while the S730 is GSM with HSDPA. The S730 also features a GPS and I think its processor is also faster (400 MHz Samsung).

Guest Monolithix (MVP)
I agree with you about the exterior appearance Mono, but I like the S720's keyboard better.

Yeah i noticed the keyboard, looks similar to the one on the Herald and probably a little more usable. The keypad on the Vox isnt awful to use though (then again i never had any problems with the Blue Angel keyboard!).

Guest smeg36

I got back from CTIA today. I didn't get to see the S720 though. HTC didn't have a booth. That makes me sad. I did get to see the Vox though. It looks so much better in person even. Agree with you again Mono, the keyboard on the Vox isn't bad at all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.