Samsung SGH-i600 -Firmware Updates here!!!

Guest humaxnet

Guest colonel_butt
I looked in Settings->Display->Home Screen , there is no Card Wheel option.

When you say Themes, is the above what you mean, where can i locate the Theme option otherwise?

on mine (and I have WM6 now), it is a theme called 'card wheel' under Home Screen Layout.

but this theme also existed on the WM5 as well

personally I prefer the theme called 'Samsung popup' as this has everything on the same screen, but the card wheel is quite nice for folk using it as a phone (I just use mine as a pda, I have a U600 as my talk phone)

rgds

Guest kennethou
on mine (and I have WM6 now), it is a theme called 'card wheel' under Home Screen Layout.

but this theme also existed on the WM5 as well

personally I prefer the theme called 'Samsung popup' as this has everything on the same screen, but the card wheel is quite nice for folk using it as a phone (I just use mine as a pda, I have a U600 as my talk phone)

rgds

Yup i cannot locate the "Card Wheel" theme in the Home Screen Layout. I think its due to the Firmware version that my phone has. Mine is i600UDXGH4. i think the one on the net is i600xxGG version thats why. Is there any way that i can activate it ?

Guest colonel_butt
Yup i cannot locate the "Card Wheel" theme in the Home Screen Layout. I think its due to the Firmware version that my phone has. Mine is i600UDXGH4. i think the one on the net is i600xxGG version thats why. Is there any way that i can activate it ?

I think your version (the UDX one) is an asian one ??

The GG one is european.

If you swap you will loose Asian languages and get European languages

Guest ronitjandra
you have a far-east rom. if you update with the european one you will loose the languages, are you sure you want to do that ?

Also you might have issues with keyboard mapping. have you checked that your keyboard is the same as the vanilla EU one (look at pictures of the UK or Swedish i600s to be sure).

The updater won't work unless the i600 is an approved euro version. look in previous threads on how to change it to be a netherlands phone if you still want to go ahead.

i'll check the keyboard mapping.

for me, the language is not a problem, since i'm using english language now anyway (english united states locale).

does "Preconfiguration"  mean that if i choose a country (and a operator/provider) i don't have to manually set the configuration (like the sms center number, gprs stetting, etc.) for the spesific operator?

so if i want to go ahead with the flashing with euro rom, there's not gonna be any asian countries (and operators) option in "Preconfiguration" ? and i have to manually configure operator's setting?

Guest nassersyed2

I just tried the xxgc1 rom and my computer didn't recognize my i600 when i put it in flash mode. what else can i do? and i'm using an asian version of the phone as well and want WM6.

thank you.

Guest colonel_butt
i'll check the keyboard mapping.

for me, the language is not a problem, since i'm using english language now anyway (english united states locale).

does "Preconfiguration"  mean that if i choose a country (and a operator/provider) i don't have to manually set the configuration (like the sms center number, gprs stetting, etc.) for the spesific operator?

so if i want to go ahead with the flashing with euro rom, there's not gonna be any asian countries (and operators) option in "Preconfiguration" ? and i have to manually configure operator's setting?

Preconfiguration is only an identifier for certain functions + it provides the languages and keyboard mapping + numeric and date format + it has wizards for operators (if you pick in preconfiguration).

You can change it between the countries it has and it will change over (i.e. if the country is in the ROM it is not a permanent setting, you can always change).

If you go ahead with the Euro WM6 ROM you will loose Asain languages and gain a bunch of Euro ones (including english).

I reset preconfiguration to 'default' after I put in the WM6 rom. This is what the phone was in when I bought it (I bought an unlocked Samsung original).

I configured the settings myself via my operators website. All the UK operators will send a few SMS messages setting up your phone for you.

Otherwise you can do it manually.

Guest nassersyed2

I'm trying to install the euro rom on my asian i600 and this the message I keep getting

[startDownload => 0] StartDownload !!

[PDA] Connect and Power-on the Device.

[PDA]Device Not Found.

What can I do to resolve this? Thank you

Guest nassersyed2

ok- i'm having a problem, after flashing the phone, it keeps saying:

[startDownload => 0] StartDownload !!

[PDA] Connect and Power-on the Device.

[PDA-0]Driver Opened.

[PDA]Read Wait. = [0]

[PDA]Read Done. = [0]

[PDA]Device Found. = [0]

[PDA]Eboot data length = <1100KB>

[PDA]EBoot data download ready.

[PDA] EBoot download complete.

OsImage data length = <65781KB>

[PDA]OsImage data download ready.

[PDA]OS image download complete.

[PHONE] Attempting to Open COM3...

[PHONE] 1. Opening COM3: id[0].

[PHONE] COM[3] Port open retry (2)-id[0]

[PHONE] COM[3] Port open retry (1)-id[0]

[PHONE] COM[3] Port open retry (0)-id[0]

[PHONE] COM[3] Port open fail.id[0]

--------------------

OK- i resolved that problem, but now i'm having another problem, when i press the 2 buttons to start the WM6 download, nothing is happening, the phone restarts and now its just sitting there counting down from 4-1 then saying connection failed

Edited by nassersyed2

Guest racedevil

i tried to upgrade so many times and i did all directions correctly bu i can`t pass the "incorrect version.. " message.. i m going to crazy

Guest colonel_butt
i tried to upgrade so many times and i did all directions correctly bu i can`t pass the "incorrect version.. " message.. i m going to crazy

this kept happening to me until I realised the file I downloaded was corrupt, it was only 55mb.

check the file you downloaded from Samsung is over 90mb, otherwise download again.

just a thought!

Guest racedevil
this kept happening to me until I realised the file I downloaded was corrupt, it was only 55mb.

check the file you downloaded from Samsung is over 90mb, otherwise download again.

just a thought!

it`s 90,5 mb ;)

Guest ronitjandra
it`s 90,5 mb :wub:

maybe because u must have the same region (region current rom = region updater rom, ie. europe current rom = europe updater rom)

mine is asian rom, keep warning the same as well ;)

Edited by ronitjandra

Guest nail it
How to make proper upgrade my i600 device to WM6Standard

What you need to know before start:

- update won't work in Windows Vista (boot loader can't find files)

- for some case samsung modem driver should be instaled before upgrading from earlier versions

- phone must be charged to full (3 bars)

- eject miniSD card.

- get write S/N phone

- don't unplug phone while upgrading

- don't try to upgrade i607 with i600 roms

- do it on your own risk

1) First, you need to upgrade i600 to XXGD1 version

- download XXGD1 update, unpack file i600XXGD1_REV15.exe

- if it's your first upgrade, you should install samsung modem driver

- connect usb cable to PC, ActiveSync must find device,

- go to options and disable: usb connection

- turn off device "power off"

- turn on to boot mode by hold 3 keys shown on picture below

Resetda2.jpg

- run i600XXGD1_REV15.exe and press start button to start upgrading

asdlm0.jpg

- wait till end after time counting digits (about 5min)

2) Settings to upgrade i600 do WM6

I. Downloading WM6 upgrade

- go to page: http://www.samsungmobile.com/promotion/i600/index.jsp

- chose for example Sweden

- type serial number: i600XXGD1

- next fill registry form, with proper S/N number (remember to type it in capital letters).

serialnumberbgus6.gif

Number could be found under battery S/N.

- download from site 3 files

Samsung modem driver http://fus.samsungmobile.com/i600/Samsung_..._modem_4.34.zip

ActiveSync 4.5 http://fus.samsungmobile.com/i600/ActiveSy...glish_setup.msi

i600UXXupdater.exe http://fus.samsungmobile.com/I600/i600UXXupdater.exe

- unpack and install Samsung modem driver (run setup exe)

howtoimg05ic2.gif

- install ActiveSync 4.5, after that check if device is finding by connect to PC

howtoimg07od8.gif

II. Changing phone version to Netherlands (panateo method discovered)

- type on phone *#1546792*# (or run hidden program in WindowsAdminSettings.exe) to get to admin settings menu

- chose option "Preconfiguration"

- type password: *#81230*#

- select country: Netherlands

- select operator: Vodafone

Done, phone will reset.

III. Upgrading process

- run file i600UXXupdater.exe

- select English language

howtoimg08ee3.gif

- connect i600 to PC (device must be found by ActiveSync)

- select all checkboxes and click "Verify device"

If You get message "Incorrect software version" , unplug and plug again usb cable, and click again "Verify device".

howtoimg11db0.gif

- after that you should se windows with information "Device id verified"

howtoimg13gi6.gif

- on phone, there appear graphic information, to press and hold: "left menu" + "camera key"

howtoimg14lt7.gif

- phone will restart and should run in boot mode.

If not, then turn off, and hold "power" + "right soft key" + "camera key / back key" to run boot mode

Resetda2.jpg

You should see updating on phone screen

dscn6899ah9.jpg

On PC would be something like this

howtoimg15el9.gif

After all complete, wait (about 5 min) to load phone, and automatic preconfiguration.

Other information:

Cardwell Plugin and Piscel Viewer is present

Pda/phone/eboot version: i600uxxgg2

It has other language to chose after install from regional settings

Changes:

- faster

- new icons and look

- easier navigation and use contacts/calendar

- and many more

Other faq's:

1) What to do if my phone is a brick by flashing with wrong rom?

Solution: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=823872

2) What is the passoword for Internal menu in Admin settings?

Paswword: bj3open

help avin a fue problems 1 st it says this

howtoimg11db0.gif

and unpluged it load ov time s still no joy ?

where ave i gone rong ? help please

Edited by nail it

Guest ronitjandra
help avin a fue problems 1 st it says this

howtoimg11db0.gif

and unpluged it load ov time s still no joy ?

where ave i gone rong ? help please

if you are using xippon steps, u must first have the xxgd1 rom (europe rom), then u can use the updater file,

looks like the updater (europe/sweden) only works for europe roms (xxgd1 or else)

xxgd1 -> xx = europe, mine was dxgh1, asian rom

Guest nail it
if you are using xippon steps, u must first have the xxgd1 rom (europe rom), then u can use the updater file,

looks like the updater (europe/sweden) only works for europe roms (xxgd1 or else)

xxgd1 -> xx = europe, mine was dxgh1, asian rom

my phone is i600bvgd2 so i down loaded the i600uxxgg2 from samsung site Netherlands rom ,so if i need xxgd1 rom where do i find it

sorted thanks for that ;)

Edited by nail it

Guest karatedog
Hi Guys,

I've just updated an Italian i600, following these steps:

- Update the i600 to s/w i600XXGD1 if not already with that version

- Change the pre-settings to dutch version:

Enter in the "Admin setting" menu:

*#1546792*#

Enter in the "Preconfiguration" menu:

Operator Code *#81230*#

- select "Netherlands", the phone will reboot a couple of times

- run the "i600UXXupdater.exe" and follow the instructions.

Then, if you need to change your Country / Operator, you need to perform the "Admin" procedure again.

Since WM6 uses a larger memory partition, I suppose that the first boot code modifies the partition before upgrading the phone with the proper WM6.

I also think that the s/w version is one for all the country, since xx means generic Europe. "U" is surely referred to the WM6 sersion of the i600.

hope this helps,

Regards,

PT

I tried to follow this instruction to the letter ;) so it is obvious that I didn't install the modem driver.

It is luck, that the modem driver can be installed while the updater is constantly looking for the device, and this won't mess things up

There is an option in the upgrader app, that it will check if ActiveSync 4.5 and Modem Driver are installed. It gave me no error, although the modem driver was first not installed.

The upgrade took 5-10 minutes, worked w/o problem.

Hi all,

foremost, congrats people for this cool forum, it's simply awesome.

I am completely new in smartphones stuff, someone please give me a short and quick answer to my questions if you don't mind.

I have a new Vodafone branded i600, and I would like to upgrade to WM6. Can you tell me if the update will go smoothly?

Specs are:

PDA, phone and Eboot versions are: i600BUGD1, phone was purchased in Romania, as I mentioned it's Vodafone branded.

Also, can I get rid of my Vodafone branding myself (or do I have to take it to the guys who deal with this kind of thing in private in phone services) ? I would like to use the phone on more carriers both in Romania and Hungary where I often travel.

I am aware that somewhere between these topics I can find these answers, I will dig them up once I know I should just look them up.

Thanks in advance!

Guest captain_flush

Hi

I am from South Africa, and just got my Samsung SGH-i600.

I am wanting to upgrade to WM6, and just wondering what the best option is? Has anyone from South Africa done this already?

Presently i have this version: i600JCGC4

Thanks in advance...

Guest digitalknave

HELP!

First off I followed the instructions to upgrade to WM6. My i600 is a default one purchased from Expansys and not tied to any carrier. The firmware is i600XXGC4 so I understood this should work fine.

Following the instructions, regardless of what I did or which EU country I downloaded the update from I kept getting "Invalid Product Version". SO I decided to try updating my firmware to GD1.

So once again, I follow the instructions, everything goes okay, phone recognised, etc but when I click the Start button on the firmware installer it just prompts me to "Select Image to Download" with just an ok and no other options. Clicking ok does nothing.

Anyone got any pointers.

EDIT: In case it helps!

Running Windows XP

Followed all other instructions to the letter

When I switch on my i600 in Download mode the screen says:

*USB Downloader - Open v1.1

Rx > PING Command

PC Connection : OK. Single Mode

[Phone] Active OFF

The GD1_REV15 program when I click start displays a dialog box that just says "Select image to download" and only has an "okay" button. CLicking the button doesn't do anything other than close the dialog box.

I've noticed others here and elsewhere have experienced the same problem but searching (here and Google) doesn't seem to show any solutions.

Edited by digitalknave

Guest bydamien

hello im newbe i have question

my samsung is vodafone i600

and my serial number is i600XXGB1

i searched samsung free wm6 sites but dont found any rom ;)

i read someting on net thay said i must to install wm5 europe verison then make rom update..?

please help me ..

which rom file using this..

sorry for bad english..

Guest smitty1956

OKAY you heard this before, but I bricked my phone by flashing with i600 onto a i607.

What can be done (except the intense criticism! ha ha!) The USB ports will not see the phone on the computer adn the IEMI number is no longer there. Phone is off. All that goes with a stupid mistake! Can someone help me here in theUS? What method can I go through. THe moden drivers do not work. I think the main thing is not being able to see the phone from the PC.

Any help at all??

Thanks

hi,

the same situation on me phone as well. my phone locked by Optus-Australian. therefore, I cannot select the country to update to wm6.

Could the expert help me to upgarde to wm6

thanks lots