Samsung SGH-i600 -Firmware Updates here!!!

Guest humaxnet

Guest shadowvip

I am going to post this in both threads regarding I600 Windows Mobile 6 updates.

One of the members over on the XDA-Developer forums seems to have found a way past the version check.

***************WARNING*****************

This rom is extracted from the samsung package, and then repackaged to work with any version. The author claims to have been excruciatingly careful about extracting things correctly, however, can be no guarantees. In addition, there is the possibility that this version released by samsung may not actually work on the devices it is not meant for.

Now that we have gotten past that, here is the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/46529602/i600_UXXGG2.rar.html

I will add mirrors later if i have a chance.

Anyone who decides to go ahead and give it a shot, please report back and let us all know how it went!

Edited by shadowvip

Guest bryanz
I am going to post this in both threads regarding I600 Windows Mobile 6 updates.

One of the members over on the XDA-Developer forums seems to have found a way past the version check.

This rom is extracted from the samsung package, and then repackaged to work with any version. The author claims to have been excruciatingly careful about extracting things correctly, however, can be no guarantees. In addition, there is the possibility that this version released by samsung may not actually work on the devices it is not meant for.

Anyone who decides to go ahead and give it a shot, please report back and let us all know how it went!

Thank you!

I have been checking xda-dev everyday but did not find anything.

I will try it in a few hours when I leave work

Guest Mizzle

Hahaha, what about that... Curious if that will work.

By the way: Spanish is included in my ROM... so it could work... Anyhow, good luck on your "hacking"!

Guest Geertmo

tried it and no luck, it locks up on the loading screen and does not boot into mobile windows, flashed back to GD1 and it is booting again

Guest bryanz
tried it and no luck, it locks up on the loading screen and does not boot into mobile windows, flashed back to GD1 and it is booting again

No luck either here.

Any idea???

Guest shadowvip

Sorry to hear that guys. I wish I had some more technical details for you, but I don't. I was just trying to spread information around!

Guest nehvada
What I mean is that as for the Russian and Dutch, the download link was the same for both downloads, ergo it is the same updater for both and probably for the rest of them.

the only reason is that both countries were selling the i600 with the same software versions i600UXXGxx. so for that matter it will not be the same file for all countries, and, which is mutch more important, for that matter you should not flash your device with the wrong ROM version. e.g. you have a i600XXG like i have do not try to flash it with i600UXG unless you want to end up with a nice paperweight :)

its not a question of just setting up their websites with the apropriate language, its a matter of building up the correct version of updater for your device.

Edited by nehvada

Guest Geertmo
Sorry to hear that guys. I wish I had some more technical details for you, but I don't. I was just trying to spread information around!

do you have a link to the xda message ?

Guest Mizzle
the only reason is that both countries were selling the i600 with the same software versions i600UXXGxx. so for that matter it will not be the same file for all countries, and, which is mutch more important, for that matter you should not flash your device with the wrong ROM version. e.g. you have a i600XXG like i have do not try to flash it with i600UXG unless you want to end up with a nice paperweight :)

its not a question of just setting up their websites with the apropriate language, its a matter of building up the correct version of updater for your device.

I doubt that. I have an original Dutch i600 but it ran i600XXGC2 (as I understand G=year=2007; C=month=march; 2=version) previous to the update. Where does that story about the i600UXX etc come from anyway??

Guest hepics

Ok... some update after whole waste of weekend (its weekend in my part of the world).

Extracted the following firmware from i600UXXUpdater.exe

EBOOT

PDA

PHONE

Used the old i600XXGC6 Firmware application to flash the files. The phone flashes the EBOOT and PDA but fails at PHONE. Result = Windows Mobile 6 booting and working without the PHONE functionality (no phone calls)

Now I am trying to fix the phone part. Will update with links if successful.

UPDATE: DONE :)... I have Windows Mobile 6 on my phone. Now I have the firmware files (total 3 i.e. EBOOT, PDA and PHONE) and a flash program to flash them. Will upload to rapidshare and paste the links here.

Edited by hepics

Guest bryanz
Ok... some update after whole waste of weekend (its weekend in my part of the world).

Extracted the following firmware from i600UXXUpdater.exe

EBOOT

PDA

PHONE

Used the old i600XXGC6 Firmware application to flash the files. The phone flashes the EBOOT and PDA but fails at PHONE. Result = Windows Mobile 6 booting and working without the PHONE functionality (no phone calls)

Now I am trying to fix the phone part. Will update with links if successful.

UPDATE: DONE :) ... I have Windows Mobile 6 on my phone. Now I have the firmware files (total 3 i.e. EBOOT, PDA and PHONE) and a flash program to flash them. Will upload to rapidshare and paste the links here.

OK, we are waiting for those links and the instructions to procedure! :P

Guest nehvada
I doubt that. I have an original Dutch i600 but it ran i600XXGC2 (as I understand G=year=2007; C=month=march; 2=version) previous to the update. Where does that story about the i600UXX etc come from anyway??

its the updater which is called i600UXXUpdater. so besides your explanation on the date and version there still is a difference within the U and the X which i would guess will make even a slight difference in the rom itself. and for that matter its displaying the "wrong software version, check your device"-message.

i also guess it might be not only the keyboard mapping, but maybe also some other annoying little things in there which are different. so thats why they are trying to avoid to let the customers run the wrong updater. that easy.

Edited by nehvada

Guest Mizzle
its the updater which is called i600UXXUpdater. so besides your explanation on the date and version there still is a difference within the U and the X which i would guess will make even a slight difference in the rom itself. and for that matter its displaying the "wrong software version, check your device"-message

My point is: my i600 had a i600XXGC2 firmware (WM5) and I updated using the i600UXXupdater. The U only appears in the firmware version AFTER updating to WM6. So my guess is that the U refers to WM6. Afaik there is no WM5 firmware (at least in Holland) with a U.

People started mentioning that you shouldn't update with the "U-updater" if you were running an XX firmware:

... for that matter you should not flash your device with the wrong ROM version. e.g. you have a i600XXG like i have do not try to flash it with i600UXG unless you want to end up with a nice paperweight

I don't think that's true. That easy :)

Anyway, it's not that important, is it? Probably the other updates will be availabel shortly so patience is the key. My i600 runs WM6 (i600UXXGG2) and I'm more then happy with it! It's a nice improvement in many fields.

Edited by Mizzle

Guest BigBlue007

On the Samsung site, various other language flags are now activated. Not all of them are already clickable, but the direct links that can be extracted from the flash file already work for almost 10 countries. All of these links end up with exactly the same filename i600UXXupdater.exe. I think everyone who believes the "U" would have anything to do with language/localized versions should realize by now that this is not the case.

Guest bryanz

Does anyone know what does this mean:

This upgrade is supported only when online and downgrading to the previous software version is not supported. For more details, please contact your nearest A/S centers.

It is in the FAQ on how to upgrade

Guest xippon

I would be careful for installing unknown software update linke i600_UXXGG2 - doesn't work with my i600 (XXGD1) - it freez in boot.

Manualy changing strong SW Version in registry wont help either, to get update to wm6.

Like hepics says, the fastest way to get wm6 update for people who see message "Incorect Version" in updating program, is to extract bin files for eboot, pda and phone and then load it manual to i600 :) So keep waiting.

Edited by xippon

Guest BigBlue007
Like hepics says, the fastest way to get wm6 update for people who see message "Incorect Version" in updating program, is to extract bin files for eboot, pda and phone and then load it manual to i600 :)

Well, maybe you've missed that user "trinca" over at xda-developers board already did that, but flashing these files cause the device to not boot any longer. Hepics claimed he extracted the three files as well and for him it would have worked, but wasn't unable so far to provide the files (even though he said he's gonna upload it to RS). If it really worked for him, he must have used a different method to extract the files than trinca. I'd really like to see his files.

Guest hepics

The three extracted files and the flashing software (from previous i600XXGC6) is currently uploading to rapid share. Should take 30 more minutes to complete :). Some points. I am disappointed in WM6 Update for many reasons. Including

- No Pocket Office (I guess because after WM6 there is not enough space left in ROM)

- No WM6 VoIP (One of the MAIN reasons for me to install WM6, I am still trying to see if its hidden somewhere inside)

both the above features are official part of Microsoft Windows Mobile 6 Standard but have been removed from i600 version.

Some instructions..

WARNING: Do this at your own risk. I had some trouble with the first update attempt. The update said its successful but the PHONE Component (GSM) of i600 was not working. I could not fix the problem on the same machine, but managed to fix it using another computer so I guess it was some driver issue on my machine.

Start the I600_WCEDownloader_v1.1_Single.exe Application

Select the three files

Eboot = WM6Eboot2.nb0

PDA = WM6PDA.bin

Phone = WM6Phone.bin

Boot the phone in flash mode. Refer to http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Samsung_i...Into_Bootloader for entering boot mode.

To enter flash mode / boot mode you must first turn off the device. Then press three keys "power" + "right soft key" + "camera key / back key"

Click at the Start Button to start the flash.

NOTE: The device takes a really long time to boot for ONLY the first time after update so be patient.

Edited by hepics

Guest bryanz
The three extracted files and the flashing software (from previous i600XXGC6) is currently uploading to rapid share. Should take 30 more minutes to complete :) . Some points. I am disappointed in WM6 Update for many reasons. Including

- No Pocket Office (I guess because after WM6 there is not enough space left in ROM)

- No WM6 VoIP (One of the MAIN reasons for me to install WM6, I am still trying to see if its hidden somewhere inside)

both the above features are official part of Microsoft Windows Mobile 6 Standard but have been removed from i600 version.

Some instructions..

WARNING: Do this on your own risk. I had some trouble with the first update attempt. The update said its successful but the PHONE Component (GSM) of i600 was not working. I could not fix the problem on the same machine, but managed to fix it using another computer so I guess it was some driver issue on my machine.

Start the I600_WCEDownloader_v1.1_Single.exe Application

Select the three files

Eboot = WM6Eboot2.nb0

PDA = WM6PDA.bin

Phone = WM6Phone.bin

Boot the phone in flash mode. Refer to http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Samsung_i...Into_Bootloader for entering boot mode.

To enter flash mode / boot mode you must first turn off the device. Then press three keys "power" + "right soft key" + "camera key / back key"

Click at the Start Button to start the flash.

NOTE: The device takes a really long time to boot for ONLY the first time after update so be patient.

Hello Hepics!

I am waiting to download those files! Great job!

Have you tried installing the WCE Office Cab? That should work as it did in WM5.

Please put the link to rshare when it is finished!

Thank you very much!